Difference in AP flours?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When using a Foodsaver to vacuum pack flour (particularly lighter finer flours), some precautions must be taken to prevent migration of small amounts of the flour into the vaccum pump.

Last edited:
And I figured it had to be cheaper than the town grocer,

but at 11 miles per gallon... lol.

:shock:

I sometimes by 30 pounds of flour at a time and store it in the freezer. I seem to be doing a lot of driving these days, so it is not hard to be going by a Wal-Mart...or to a WM for medicines or kitty litter:wacko:

The only things i order direct from KA are the specialty flours. The KA AP I can get just about anywhere, usually Walmart and The Good Food Store has the bread flour for <$5 for 5 lbs.

I am now participating in a KA bake off/survey with Flax seed. I was sent two 1/2 lb bags of flax and have to bake something with it soon.

The last time I bought AP flour I bought 5-5lb bags, but it takes me so long to use up that amount I think maybe the last bag or two were beyond their shelf life... if there is a shelf life for AP... I read here recently that there is for self-rising and for baking powder, so my thoughts are not to buy so much of bread or regular flour either.
Ideally I'll keep my stock up when I am in Walmart or the "real" grocery store, but for those times I am out and need some quick, the town grocer will have to do. And that was the basis of me wanting to know the differences (or not).

Whatever flour I use, I only buy what I need in the immediate future because it's the freshest. I never understood buying lots of flour just to let it go stale later on until I finally get to it. Fresh flour is too easy to get and keep on hand to have to worry about maintaining warehouse space to store it.

During the holidays, we bought two 5-pound bags for $5.00 on sale. The normal price is far less than $5.00 a pound.

Well, I did have to run into the city for something, so I did pass wally world, and I did have a list of staples on my need soon list... so I stopped and did some shopping. King Arthur flour was $3.22 for a 5 lb bag for both AP and bread. Pretty big difference from the town store. Not worth a separate flour run, but worth it if I am already there for other things. Pretty consistent with Beth's prices.
I'm looking forward to trying it out, since I'll bet my slightly dense loaves (lately) are due to old flour.

I was at a chain grocer earlier today, Giant Eagle, and KA flour was "on sale" for $4.49. That was .50 off per bag. That extra .50 would put it at the same price as my town grocer. That's ridiculous wally world can sell it that much lower. No wonder they put businesses out of business. Somebody better lower their profit margin.

Back
Top Bottom