"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-22-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Master Chef

Different kinds of salt

Do you use any of the different salts that are on the market? I just use Kosher and table salt. I didn't know there were so many kinds.
Whole Foods Market : Products : Salt

I am going to a Whole food store next month, so can you give me any ideas on what to look for? Thanks.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I buy Sea salt as the Large crystals, Lo-Salt, regular table salt and Chinese salt (MSG).

and if it counts, I buy Celery salt too (nice in a Virgin Mary).

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I have large and small crystal sea salt, koshering salt (use it the most), Jurasic salt and sel gris. A chemist frined of mine also made me some Sel Atlantique from my local beach town. Fun to have on the table!
Old 03-22-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
It is salt. Kosher, table, or sea, whether it's white, blue, grey, or green and yellow stripes, it is JUST salt. Put it on your food, and it makes the food taste salty and jacks up your blood pressure a few points. Some people just make WAY too much hoopla over the oldest and most common seasoning in the world.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
Senior Cook

ive used...

Ive used Kosher (used mostly), table salt ( never used anymroe), sea salt (only occasionally), and red/pink hawian salt (only occasionally).

Ncage
Old 03-22-2007, 04:06 PM   #6
Master Chef

I pretty much stick with my kosher salt...I love the feel in my fingers and prefer it much more than table salt. I haven't even really paid attention to the other types of salt. I've heard mention of sea salt and gray salt but because I'm so happy with my kosher salt its never even crossed my mind to look at the other types while at the store.....let alone buy them. I mainly only use the Mortans table salt to thaw out meat.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
It is salt. Kosher, table, or sea, whether it's white, blue, grey, or green and yellow stripes, it is JUST salt. Put it on your food, and it makes the food taste salty and jacks up your blood pressure a few points. Some people just make WAY too much hoopla over the oldest and most common seasoning in the world.
I really wasn't trying to make a hoopla about salt, I was just wondering what kinds people used.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:42 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I do not buy or use *supermarket variety* salt because it contains an additive that makes it "free-flowing". I can taste this in the salt and don't like the taste.

Kosher salt is the standard salt in my kitchen. I buy it in one-pound boxes and have a small, open container with kosher salt next to my stove so I can easily get what I need for my cooking.

I also buy organic sea salt, but the taste of the salt is very dependent on the brand, so I can't give you specific recommendations. Some sea salts are a fine grind (like ordinary salt) and some are a coarse grind (like kosher salt or larger). I have purchased organic salts in a fine grind that are distinctly saltier than the equivalent mesaure of supermarket-variety salt.

Others may disagree, but in my experience, there is a wide variety in the taste of salt.

If you want to explore salt but keep the price at a reasonable level, I would recommend seeing what is available at a local natural food store.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:02 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by subfuscpersona
I do not buy or use *supermarket variety* salt because it contains an additive that makes it "free-flowing". I can taste this in the salt and don't like the taste.

Kosher salt is the standard salt in my kitchen. I buy it in one-pound boxes and have a small, open container with kosher salt next to my stove so I can easily get what I need for my cooking.

I also buy organic sea salt, but the taste of the salt is very dependent on the brand, so I can't give you specific recommendations. Some sea salts are a fine grind (like ordinary salt) and some are a coarse grind (like kosher salt or larger). I have purchased organic salts in a fine grind that are distinctly saltier than the equivalent mesaure of supermarket-variety salt.

Others may disagree, but in my experience, there is a wide variety in the taste of salt.

If you want to explore salt but keep the price at a reasonable level, I would recommend seeing what is available at a local natural food store.
Thank you so much, your post was very informative. JoAnn
Old 03-23-2007, 07:53 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

I have tried different types of salt, but have never been able to detect a difference, I did a blink taste test once and found the flavors identical (with the exception of table salt which has a metalic taste). For me, the difference is in the crystal shape and size. If you sprinkle a large crystal salt on a tomato slice then you will have a different taste experience then if you sprinkle very fine small crystal on the same tomato. One will disolve right away while the other will give you a salt crunch as you bite into it. That is reason enough for me to use different types.