"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 07-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #31
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Not in the history books that I've read.

My Mother is both a Savoy (of the House of Savoy - a Northern Italy/Southern France kingdom that was independent for many centuries) and Navarre, a French noble family from S.W. France. My mother's genealogy research shows no special relationships, treatment or culture once they reached North America. In fact, my great grandfather made a living during the late part of the 19th and early part of the 20th century poling a perogue (small, flat bottomed boat) collecting moss from trees in the bijou to be used for stuffing mattresses and furniture. Not very royal-like if you ask me!
There seems to be two different definitions of Creole:
Louisiana Creole people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Creole was the name given to offspring of French/Spanish settlers that were born in the colony to distinguish them from those born in/on the European Continent.

"Cajun" is a bastardization of Acadian ....Immigrants from France who settled around the Bay of Fundy Nova Scotia....They were kicked out by the British during the Grand Dérangement (Great Dispersal) in 1755....Many of them found there way to Spanish Controlled South Louisiana and settled there....

Today....Anything goes! Hey, you wanna be a Creole??....Move to da parish, rent a house and declare yourself as Creole...Wanna be a Cajun??....Move to one of the 22 Cajun Parishes of South Louisiana, set up housekeeping...Call yourself a "Cajun"... from Church Point, Catahoula, Mamou, or where ever.....

There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #33
Executive Chef
Hmmmm. So, where does this leave my mom's jambalaya?

Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #34
Executive Chef
Cook it all together in one big pot and hope for the best!

...or not.
"Food is our common ground, a universal experience." - James Beard
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:11 PM   #35
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Mom and Dad have a Catahoula Hound...and I make Etouffe' ala' Justin Wilson...and Jambalaya and Gumbo and biscuits and....I tink mai Heart is Cajun...
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #36
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
Usually, we make jambalaya by first making the "sauce" and then cook the rice in it. I recently read a menu from BJ's (a restaurant), and they say:

Our distinctive jambalaya combines blackened chicken, shrimp and chicken-andouille sausage, sautéed with bell peppers, onions and tomatoes in a spicy sauce. Served over a rice pilaf and topped with green onions.

Note that they prepare the sauce and the rice separately. I'm guessing they might cook the sauce, separate the "food" from the sauce and cook the rice only with the sauce (hence a pilaf), and then just poor the "food" on the pilaf. Is this something people do usually?
Now that Cajun food has become popular, a lot of restaurants tout dishes that may or may not be tasty, but are NOT authentic. Jambalaya is not served over rice... it IS rice with assorted meats, vegies and seasonings. The jambalaya I learned to make in Gonzales, La does not contain tomatoes, either.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #37
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Thanks, Bob. I think I'll try it without the tomato ( and the creole sauce) next time.
We like it better without the tomato. Wish it weren't so hot here, I'd make some this weekend.
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #38
Master Chef
I'm like you on that, June. Even with AC, I just don't feel like heating up the kitchen or eating heavy meals.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #39
Assistant Cook
I know what I am about to say is a sacrilege down in these parts but I made jambalaya yesterday and I did not use Uncle Bens long grain rice (gasp). Seriously, I used basmati rice and it was terrific. If you have never tried basmati rice in your jambalaya then next time give it a go.

Cast your cares in a cast iron pot.
rph77 is offline   Reply With Quote