"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Different ways of making jambalaya?

Usually, we make jambalaya by first making the "sauce" and then cook the rice in it. I recently read a menu from BJ's (a restaurant), and they say:

Our distinctive jambalaya combines blackened chicken, shrimp and chicken-andouille sausage, sautéed with bell peppers, onions and tomatoes in a spicy sauce. Served over a rice pilaf and topped with green onions.

Note that they prepare the sauce and the rice separately. I'm guessing they might cook the sauce, separate the "food" from the sauce and cook the rice only with the sauce (hence a pilaf), and then just poor the "food" on the pilaf. Is this something people do usually?

Old 07-20-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I was always under the assumption that it was a one pot meal, based on browning/blackening the proteins, then go in with veg, then essentially deglazing with h20/stock/ cough...beer/or a combination of said variables, THEN in with the rice, and kill heat, cover, let it sit and then fluff at the end. Bigger cast iron vessels work the best?

For dietary/allergen restrictions, I can certainly see the need for separation, but it's like trying to do paella as individual components.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #3
Master Chef

BJs is not serving jambalaya.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
I was always under the assumption that it was a one pot meal, based on browning/blackening the proteins, then go in with veg, then essentially deglazing with h20/stock/ cough...beer/or a combination of said variables, THEN in with the rice, and kill heat, cover, let it sit and then fluff at the end. Bigger cast iron vessels work the best?

For dietary/allergen restrictions, I can certainly see the need for separation, but it's like trying to do paella as individual components.
will the rice cook through without applying heat?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:43 PM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
BJs is not serving jambalaya.
Maybe it stand for Bad Jambalaya's?
Old 07-21-2011, 06:01 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I'm guessing they use the same rice for other dishes like gumbo and use the meat sauce on other things like steak &/or catfish.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:51 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
I'm guessing they use the same rice for other dishes like gumbo and use the meat sauce on other things like steak &/or catfish.
I'm sure you're right, BigAl. Once the rice is in the Jambalaya, the dish is done. Separately, both can be used in other ways.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Tattrat nailed the methodology part of Jambalaya cooking above....Browning of the proteins and vegetables (usually the trinity in some proportion) then De-glazing the pot, removing the fond etc. with a liquid...water/stock/broth etc. Then adding the raw rice. The liquid and the rice amounts need to be the correct proportions...Normally 2:1 ...2 Cups of liquid to 1 cup of rice for the right consistency. ~~~ There is a "red" (Creole) jambalaya..red from the addition of tomatoes....Commonly found in, and in close proximity to the city of New Orleans proper. Also there is a "brown" (Cajun) jambalaya....brown from the browning of the meats and vegetables normally found elsewhere in South Louisiana. Obviously examples of both types can be found in both general areas. ~~ There is a third type of (Faux) Jambalaya known in some circles as "White" jambalaya where the rice is cooked separately from the proteins and vegetables and are combined at the end of cooking....The dish described by the OP is not jambalaya----jambalaya is not served *over* rice....Jambalaya *Is* rice....cooked in the goodness of the meats/proteins/vegetables/seasonings/liquids etc in a single pot. HTH

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Bob said it better than I could.

Restaurants often take liberties with food names, using them on dishes that bear little resemblance to the real thing.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAL View Post
I thought the same thing. But in this case, they are missing the point. One size does NOT fit all.