"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-14-2007, 06:11 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffonade
Cilantro in spaghetti sauce? Wow...I use basil and/or oregano in my Italian products and cilantro in my Mexican or hispanic products! It would never occur to me to put cilantro in spaghetti sauce!
That's exactly what I said "Cilantro in spaghetti sauce"? I wonder if you put cilantro in it if it would turn into a big plate of hot salsa over noodles?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:20 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
That's exactly what I said "Cilantro in spaghetti sauce"? I wonder if you put cilantro in it if it would turn into a big plate of hot salsa over noodles?
Technically, it is already a salsa. Salsa means sauce. But, like other culinary terms in America, it has become misued and is now referred to mainly the Mexican-style condiment. For example, pico de gallo is commonly known as "salsa picada." Somewhere along the line, when it was introduced to America the word picada was dropped and it was then referred to just as "salsa".

Old 08-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

"Operative" word - technically It is ashame how words get all turned around though. What time is it there? 2:00-ish?

Old 08-14-2007, 07:01 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Like 1pm. I just got back from doing my weekly grocery shopping and the store was jam-packed full of people buying all the bottled water because they're afraid of the hurricane that is going to pass south of us.

And I just finished eating my supersized #1 from Mickey D's. All the stuff I can cook and I eat fast food like 3-4 times a week.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:04 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey, sometimes #1 MickeyD's is the ONLY thing that fits the need of the moment - extra pickles please!

Old 08-14-2007, 07:06 PM   #26
Executive Chef

So if I put some cilantro in my Big Mac and flattened it, could I call it a quesadilla?

Alright KElf, you can slap me upside the head now.

Danica, sorry for hijacking your thread.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:22 PM   #27
Master Chef

I agree with just about everyone. Taste is so subjective, and the only real teacher is experience. It is very hard to get that experience when you only cook for yourself. Trial and error. As the eldest daughter in a family of 6, with a sickly mother, I learned to cook at an early age. As a military family (both husband and father were lifers, and I did a hitch myself), I learned to invite people over for casual meals on a very regular basis, and also learned to cook many dishes from many people of different ethnic backgrounds. I learned that what I may fix for just the two of us might be too hot, too garlicky, too "medicinal" tasting for someone whose tastes I don't know, so I'll "dumb it down" and put some seasoning sauces on the side. I'll never forget the time I made a taco bar for a big party, and a family freind said he hated Mexican food. I really cracked up when I pointed him to the (white) bread and bologna. He reacted by pilling all of the taco fillings on the bread and eating it as a sandwich. I'd have thought the tortillas would have been the LEAST offensive of the offerings! The thing is only you know your own tastes and those of your friends and loved ones. When I was young we were always told to never "experiment" on a dinner party. Well, I decided not to have children at a young age, and if I only cooked a new meal for two it would become impossible. So yes, guests do get experimented upon! I've had a few disasters, but always have backup (even if it just the number for the local pizza delivery service!).
Old 08-15-2007, 07:54 AM   #28
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Reading this again brought a memory ramming home!

At cooking school, many dishes are prepared to teach a particular lesson, even if you wouldn't normally combine them in the same menu. For one such lesson on "sauces", we prepared a Blanquette de Veau or white veal stew along with several other dishes where the sauce would be featured. One such dish was Salsa Cruda or fresh tomato salsa.

My group had custody of both these dishes and we busily chopped, sauteed and combined. A fellow student asked, "I'm going to chop the parsley for the blanquette de veau." Another said, "I already did that." Student A said, "No, the parsley is here in my hand..." Student B said, "How can that be, I already added it to the stew!" With horror, Student A realized that Student B added chopped cilantro to the blanquette de veau instead of the parsley. Yeccch! A beautiful long-cooked classic French dish could have been totally ruined by this error. Luckily, Student B didn't do a very good job because all the cilantro was sitting on the surface of the stew, not yet stirred in. Student A meticulously picked out all the cilantro, saving the dish and the hours of work we put into it.

Moral of the story: Do NOT add an ingredient based solely on your visual deduction that it's the correct ingredient. When in doubt, taste it first.

I still keep in touch with Student A and to this day, we refer to that as The Great Cilantro Incident.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:48 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Ironchef, KE? McNasty's?!?!?!?!

HERESY!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I'm going to the woodshed now. Let me know when it's safe to come out.

BTW, does the woodshed offer WiFi?
Old 08-16-2007, 06:35 AM   #30
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
Technically, it is already a salsa. Salsa means sauce. But, like other culinary terms in America, it has become misued and is now referred to mainly the Mexican-style condiment. For example, pico de gallo is commonly known as "salsa picada." Somewhere along the line, when it was introduced to America the word picada was dropped and it was then referred to just as "salsa".
Yes, and the word "napoleon" has become synonymous with anything in layers. There is the zucchini napoleon with tomato and mozzarella, anything between sheets of phyllo dough that has been baked on a sheet pan and slapped together with any ingredient in between.

Salsa being used to describe the Mexican condiment is about equal to Kleenex being used to describe facial tissues.

In any case, cilantro in spaghetti sauce does not sound appetizing to me in the least. Kind of like an ethnic war going on in my mouth.