"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Dim Sums & Dumplings

Hello everyone,

I haven't done much research about the subject. Which I know I should.
But I was watching a movie of Jackie Chan in which they had some dumplings, I believe, and I got interested in knowing how exactly are these made.

I watch some youtube videos and saw that mostly experts can make those perfect looking dumplings or Dim sums. But is there any way I can make them myself, and obtain at least a similar or same taste?

Also what are they filled with? I can't eat seafood ingredients so please subject an alternative.

I'll even eat them empty.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Executive Chef

We have our favorites, of which most contain seafood. Potstickers are probably the easiest to get started with. You can buy wanton wrappers at most grocery stores. Granted they are not the soft dough used in most dim sum, but they are very tasty none the less. Google them and find a filling recipe that doesn't have any seafood. Don't forget to look for a dipping sauce!

Old 10-20-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Wonton wrappers. Most dim sum has ground meat, chicken or pork. You can use beef if you like. Chopped cabbage, carrots, bean sprouts can be added. Then using the techniques you saw on You Tube should get you started.

We've been making steamed Crab Rangoons, a lot more healthy that the deep fried version.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

I live in Asia and the lower end dim sum restaurants here use minced chicken or pork instead of seafood. Two important ingredients to add to the minced meat filling is chopped water chestnut for the crunch and sesame oil for the aroma.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:36 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaironxxrd View Post
Hello everyone,

I haven't done much research about the subject. Which I know I should.
But I was watching a movie of Jackie Chan in which they had some dumplings, I believe, and I got interested in knowing how exactly are these made.

I watch some youtube videos and saw that mostly experts can make those perfect looking dumplings or Dim sums. But is there any way I can make them myself, and obtain at least a similar or same taste?

Also what are they filled with? I can't eat seafood ingredients so please subject an alternative.

I'll even eat them empty.
When I make dumplings/wontons/potstickers, I use a gadget similar to this one.

You can use just about any fillings of choice. Duck is one choice. I prefer the pan-fry method listed at the bottom.

Chinese Duck and Shiitake Dumplings (Jiao Zi) - Fine Cooking Recipes, Techniques and Tips

Re Dim Sum, I like the BBq'd pork buns. Experiment & try a variety. Here's a guide for the dim sum etc., & finding a good restaurant to sample same.

http://www.chefseattle.com/articles/dim-sum/4.html

The Dim Sum Guide - Chef Seattle
Old 10-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #6
Head Chef

Oh, man, I could eat dumplings/potstickers/momos every day of my life. (Except for that nasty carb problem--they have to be an occasional treat. )

I bought Asian Dumplings by Andrea Nguyen--delicious recipes, great pictures, clear instructions.