"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #31
Executive Chef

I forgot about Royal Castle. Birchbeer, Orange Julius and the little, .05 hamburgers you could buy in a box, by the dozen. Of course gas was .25 a gallon then.

Craig

Old 02-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #32
Executive Chef

I can remember going to "the dime store" in Kindergarten after school with my mom for chili. I remember it as Woolworth's, but it might not have been because I didn't see chili on the menu. In less Battle Creek Michigan had something different on their menu? I also would have a chili dog sometimes. I just loved sitting up at the soda fountain counter to eat!

Old 02-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #33
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
I wish I had some of those little silver metal bowls they served sundaes in...that really made it!!
These, I have! They are perfect for small dessert sundaes. I got four of them on ebay!
Old 02-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #34
Cupcake

@ MollyAnne - It was only 39 cents if you popped that balloon unwisely! I once got banana split for one single penny! That meant I still had 49 cents from my half-dollar to spend on other cool stuff. Like...Tiger Beat Magazine!

I loved the HoJo's lunch counters. Heck, I just liked lunch counters. I feel sorry or my nieces and nephews who did not have this experience. Lunch counters are so far and few between. There is still ONE left in my hometown as part of an old candy store. Now, it is rather like a museum in to itself and is quite trendy. Not the same. A Ginny doll is just adorable. How cool that you kept it.

@ CraigC - I adored Lums hot dogs that were steamed in BEER. It made me feel quite grown up. *preens*

I love Birch Beer, but I had to have the RC with a moon pie. We have White Castles back toward home. When I was a child, they were the forbidden food....heck, with my mother, they still are.

@ Mimi - My aunt worked at the Five and Dime. It was actually called that on their sign. Woolworths was across the street from it. I also remember Kresges in the town to where my parents moved. It's lunch counter was nice enough but, not being in a tiny town, it did not have the same feel. That being said, I would love to go back even to Kresges!

Auto-mats were just the most awesome thing on earth. I remember getting a piece of pie on a glass plate with a metal fork! I mainly remember it at a train-station. I was pretty young and absolutely starving. The pie was from heaven as memory recalls.

@ LAJ - You do plan to share a recipe with us, don't you? I miss the Mom and Pop Bakeries too. One still exists where my parents live, but the owners and recipes changed. They would make these small iced cakes - larger than petit fours. The icing was very thin, perfect, and decorated daintily. It almost cracked and melted when bitten into and the cake was pure magic. I have never seen anything like it since. Big Boy restaurants....I had not thought of them in ages.

@ LindaZ - I had you pegged as the flavored lipstick kind of girl. My first tube of flavored liptint was strawberry glaze. It smelled like strawberry and tasted like strawberry. Who cares if it made my lips gooey? A small price to pay for beauty.

That Jackie just sounds like a bad influence. Chocolate malts were awesome.

@ chopper - They had specials for lunch and dinner all of the time. I seem to recall chili too and remember getting it with two packs of saltine crackers. It was meaty with beans. Loved it. Perhaps it was another lunch counter, but I picture it at Woolworths. I'm jealous, b/c Grandma made me sit in a booth instead of the twirlie stools.

There is an A&W drive-in still operating in the town where my parents live called Dogs-N-Suds. They have a coney sauce. A recipe that tastes pretty close to it was given to me by a friend. It differs from Pops (which is my heart's favorite.) That being said, I'll not turn down a coney dog from Dogs-N-Suds ever. I got the footlong. The onions were minced and the dog was steamed as was the bun. How does one get the mug frosty?

Here is the coney sauce recipe as it was given to me.

Dogs-N-Suds Coney Sauce
1 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon of tabasco sauce
1 small onion, minced
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon water
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
Catsup as needed.

Brown ground beef with onion over a medium heat. Break up the meat into fine crumbles. Drain off the fat. Add everything else except for catsup. Mix well and then add enough catsup to keep mixture loose. Simmer partially covered, 1 hour. Add catsup as needed. Serve on steamed hot dogs with a side of A&W root beer. Don't forget to tip the carhop.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:12 PM   #35
Head Chef

We (the kids) weren't brought to restaurants during our childhood, I think I missed the Woolworth's balloon popping fun.
The first restaurant I went to that I remember was when I went on a first date at age 18.

Here for your viewing pleasure, I scanned it from the original menu, I've saved since my 'almost' first job.
Do you recognize it?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ancienthistoryrestaurant1 001smallersize.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	9994
Old 02-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #36
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post

@ Mimi - My aunt worked at the Five and Dime. It was actually called that on their sign. Woolworths was across the street from it. I also remember Kresges in the town to where my parents moved. It's lunch counter was nice enough but, not being in a tiny town, it did not have the same feel. That being said, I would love to go back even to Kresges!
I completely forgot about Kresges! We had on in my home town too. The main street had a Woolworth's, Kresges, Grant's, and Sears and we had 3 movie theaters too.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #37
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
We (the kids) weren't brought to restaurants during our childhood, I think I missed the Woolworth's balloon popping fun.
The first restaurant I went to that I remember was when I went on a first date at age 18.

Here for your viewing pleasure, I scanned it from the original menu, I've saved since my 'almost' first job.
Do you recognize it?
Attachment 9994
Is it Friendlys? It looks familiar. Do you remember what you had?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I completely forgot about Kresges! We had on in my home town too. The main street had a Woolworth's, Kresges, Grant's, and Sears and we had 3 movie theaters too.
Sears had a fabulous candy kiosk that had fresh roasted chestnuts during the Christmas holiday. My little sister was a toddler and crawled to the center of a ring rack and fell asleep. The clerk plied me with chestnuts while the panicked parents, police, and sales managers searched for her. Entertainment at its best....because it did not involve me!
Old 02-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #38
Executive Chef

Blissful,
We really didn't get to go out much at my house. I can only remember one Italian place we would go to once every six months or so, and every once in a while Dad would take us to the truck stop for breakfast (again maybe once in six months). The dime store thing with Mom was different. I was the last of four children born within four and one half years. I guess my mom just needed to have fun with the last one home half a day before the next year when she was set to go off to work. It feels like it happened a lot (the lunch counter thing), but the last time I talked to Mom about it, she said that it probably only happened maybe three or four times. It was just such a special time for me that it just seemed like we did it all of the time. I just love childhood memories. I just know that we went there lots for chili, and sometimes icecream. I also know that I was her favorite. I think I will just keep the memories the way they are, and not believe that I was only at that lunch counter three or four times.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:39 PM   #39
Head Chef

Kathleen, I do believe ours was called Woolworths five and dime... It was in Long Beach N.Y. about 40 years ago, not there anymore... I remember it having a lunch counter to one side of the store... I wonder if it's the same Woolworths everyone else is talking about... I do remember ham salad, burgers, and grilled cheese sandwiches...

YES PF that's it, Horn and Hardarts... Loved to go there and put my money in the machine... We would go after seeing a broadway show, or seeing the Rockettes Christmas show... Oh the memories...
Old 02-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #40
Head Chef

It's Lums.
It's the part of the menu with the Lumdog.

Tags
lunch