"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-18-2006, 12:40 PM   #91
Executive Chef

I have a sister who changes everything about her order. She also complains. I have stopped going anywhere to eat with her and if I ever have to do it again I will tell her if she changes one thing or complains about anything I will ask for another table for myself. She has done enough of that to last the rest of her life, so now she should choose something she likes and shut up!!!

Old 09-26-2006, 03:54 PM   #92
Sous Chef

Dining at home: guests who show up, like clockwork, at dinner time. Of course they've already had a bag of Doritos for dinner - but gee that glass of wine looks good and they're really thirsty (swig that wine as fast as you can), well now that you insist they'll have some dinner too. Sheesh.

Out to dinner: Most everything's been covered. I hate going to eat when the waitress ignores me and only make eye contact with my DH. It happened at a new Chilis that opened nearby. The waitress kept her back to me unless she really had to make contact with me, "what would you like (thinking "fat old lady doesn't need food" I'm sure). Paid no attention to what I said, I guess she figured I was only going to eat the mashed potatoes so wouldn't care if my bloody rare steak was cooked so well done that it formed a dried up cup on my plate. By God, though my husband was going to get his fajitas cooked to order. Of course once the 4 prime pieces of beefcake were seated at a nearby table we couldn't get waited on for love nor money. We haven't been back since and it's been over a year.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:19 PM   #93
Senior Cook

Agree!

I agree with Fryboy, all of his complaints are exactly what I am thinking most of the time. So many resturants just don't have it togrther and I have had servers that looked like they hated their job and were rude. I hate service like that, it just ruins the experience and can make me angry to the point where I lose my appetite. I usually don't say anything and try to enjoy me dinning experience but sometimes you just can't. Like for instance what Licia was saying about nosiy people, I hate that. People go out to eat to relax, have a nice meal, not hear what the person sitting next to you or several tables away from you did yesterday. I remember going to a resturant and there was this man talking so loud that everyone in the resturant was looking at him. His obnoxious behavior was getting to me, and I was sitting 4 tables away. So I waited till he said something again and then answered his question, LOUDLY, and one of the ladies at his table laughed because she knew he was being to loud. After that he was definatly A LOT quieter. I have worked in many resturants, in all positions, from the dishwashser to the sever. I know how it can be back in the kitchen, it's hard work, so I try and show some patience but sometimes there is just no excuse. Like one person was talking about, where you order your drinks and then wait 30 minutes for those. Then you order your appetizer and that takes another 30-40 minutes. When they come with your appetizer you order your main dishes and you wait...30 minutes...40 minutes...an hour. So you pull your waitress aside and ask her what is taking so long and she hasn't even put your order in yet and there are only 3 tables in the resturant that have people at them. Then when you are finished and are waiting for the check the waitress doesn't come back for another hour or so. One time I just went to the front desk, got the manager, got my ticket, paid(maybe tipped), and left. I am sure that I have mentioned things that have already been mentioned before but it is just so dang aggravating that I could just keep going and end up with just as many, if not more, as Fryboy.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:37 PM   #94
Senior Cook

Yes Marishka, I think a nice touch after too long a wait, is to rise and leave when you see your meal coming out the swing door.

My daughter and I went to a Pizza Hutt in Whangarei once, we didn't know the teachers were on strike. The place was a bomb site, every table littered with dining debris, and the only occupants were two utterley exhausted young women sitting in the resto with their feet up. It was about 3pm. The two of them looked stunned. Lizzy and I helped ourselves to a glass of wine each as they watched. We sat down with them. Then the four of us got stuck in to cleaning, I cleared, Lizzy vacumned, they washed, it only took us about half an hour and the place was pristine. Including the loos. Then they gave us our usual crispy pepperoni, mushroom and olive pizza. It was the best one we have ever had. Quite fun really.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:10 PM   #95
Sous Chef

1. Chain restaurants that have become "standardized". I avoid these like the plague. Chili's, Applebee's, TGI Fridays, Crackerbarrel, Olive Garden, etc. To me they're no different than McDonalds, except they serve steak.

2. People that complain about everything, especially at a $5-$10/plate restaurant. I love a restaurant that is casual and where people are allowed to be people. Kids squealing, laughter, cell phones, music I might not like, etcetera doesn't bug me whatsoever. It's the guy complaining non-stop next to me that he had a spot on the side of his glass, or that he isn't leaving no stinkin' tip as he devours $35 worth of food at a $5 buffet.

3. Dirty bath/washrooms, or finding that there is no toilet paper after committing... I don't mind a few crumpled paper-towels on the floor, but if I can't see myself in the mirror as I wash my hands I raise an eyebrow.

I think many people have unrealistic expectations for the average grub-hall - especially those who are fairly educated about food (most people here I assume). When you order spaghetti and meatballs they're not going to resurrect your dead grandmother to start chopping garlic, send an A-List celebrity out with your food, and then wash/wax your vehicle as you eat (although that would be a great business idea!). If I can see the people are trying thats good enough for me for that particular meal. If I don't like it, there are many other places to visit next time. If I want something cooked perfectly the way I want it, I eat at home!

I'm also not too hard on waitstaff. If they are making an effort and paying attention I tip 20%. It's a crime what many of those people are getting paid per hour. You can be sure that if it was me getting yelled at for something stupid that I'd tell the guy to get the **** out and don't come back. I guess thats why I'm not a waiter... It's amazing what those people deal with hour after hour for what they get paid.

I've walked out after waiting an extraordinary amount of time, and I've sent food back that was absolutely beyond any creative interpretation (such as the famous "cupped" steak), but those experiences are few and far between (maybe once every 50 outtings - especially when you avoid the chain restaurants like I do). Usually it only takes one quiet comment to solve the problem, or looking at your watch when the waitstaff makes eye-contact. Any restaurant that is serious about lasting doesn't all-out abandon the customer on every front. But every restaurant makes a butt-load of mistakes.

Just my $0.02.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #96
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
One of the things that bugs me is when the server comes to take my order, when I'm with my husband, is that he/she addresses us as "you guys." My husband is a guy and a quick glance at me and "the twins" will tell anyone that I'm definitely NOT a guy. This may sound insignificant, but it would be a nice change of pace if servers would practice some gentle manners in this area.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:47 PM   #97
Everymom

Quote:
3. Dirty bath/washrooms, or finding that there is no toilet paper after committing... I don't mind a few crumpled paper-towels on the floor, but if I can't see myself in the mirror as I wash my hands I raise an eyebrow.
OK, that one got me. Holy yikes.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:54 PM   #98
Sous Chef

HAHA!
Old 10-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #99
Chef Extraordinaire

that is gross!

one good thing about how bad men's bathrooms get is that i don't have to change diapers when we're out. i've shown dw that men are just happy to hit something when they go, so she doesn't aske me to do the diaper changing/baby juggling routine anymore.

it's tough to keep his clothes, the diaper, and himself in the air all at the same time so nothing touches.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:40 PM   #100
Sous Chef

Haha!

That reminds me of a story. I was eating out once at this small non-climate controlled pizza joint. It was about 100F, and with the giant pizza ovens it was probably 110F in the restaurant. We decided to sit next to their rear-screen door which they had propped open, and commenced in devouring the pie (I go for for plain cheese/sauce on a thin New York style crust). The cook came over - apologized for the heat - and set up a fan in the doorway. About 10ft away from the door around back was the dumpster. Nothing like ripe muggy trash breeze to finish off a gut-full of pie on a hot day...

We all got up at once and sprinted for the trash can. A couple people lost it. We ended up laughing about it after. He tried to give us the pizza for free, but we still paid/tipped.

I'll tell you what, one thing there is no comparison for is a glass-bottled coca-cola pulled from a bucket of ice on a hot day. I'm not big on processed foods - but I grew up with glass-bottled coke from a local package store that the owner kept in those plastic barrels filled with crushed ice. Almost as good as an iced pilsner.