Dining Pet Peeves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sorry, Katie, I refer to everyone as 'guys'. I consider it a non-gender specific term. My apologies to you and the twins.

I can't stand seeing a daily special, then seeing the same thing on the regular menu at a lower price. I've had disagreements with wait staff who did not want to let me order the lesser priced main menu item!

Perhaps we should start a thread about pet peeves from the other side. We used to just love it when a good customer would come in, order the filet mignon special, but could I substitute salmon for the filet, and I don't eat potatoes, so how about rice, and I don't like green beans, do you have asparagus?

And, of course, half naked people from Massachusetts . . .

Last edited:
Ouch. I must go to a better class of restaurant. Actually, we don't have a better class of restaurant. It must be the midwest. I feel terrble that you have to put up with all of that when you eat out. Overly attentive waiters? What a cross to bear. I don't order wine at a restaurant where they are unlikely to have many wine drinkers, I'll order a cocktail instead. Know your restaurant and know your servers and know what is going on. I've travelled a lot, and have actually had the serving staff ask ME to go behind the bar to search for a bottle of wine. I've had the wait staff ask ME what to give to a Japanese group who asked for "wild Beam" or something like that. I simply asked her if Wild Turkey or Jim Beam was more expensive. She told me which one, and I said, feed them that. I've also explained the difference between pinot noir and pinot grigio and ... well, the bottom line is that I find this fun, not something to complain about. When people are being mean to you, well, that's something to complain about. Ignorance can only be corrected with knowledge. Yes, a $100/plate dinner should come with spectacular service. If you're buying a plate of spaghetti for a few bucks, you need to be a little more tolerant.

Back
Top Bottom