Dining Pet Peeves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GB said:
I do not have any that have not already been mentioned, but Fryboy, I have a follow up question for you...Have you ever been out to eat where you have not been disappointed :LOL:? That is a mighty long list of pet peeves 9not to say that you are wrong about any of them).
Don't be silly, GB! Is there one pet peeve I've listed that you actually like in a restaurant? Somehow I doubt it.

You'd have to be a Pollyanna not to notice flaws in just about any restaurant -- "perfect" is an elusive goal, but I don't expect perfection. In judging just about anything in life, one must balance the positives against the negatives, and in the restaurants I prefer, the good points greatly outweigh the bad. If the food, service, atmosphere, and price are good, minor flaws don't matter, but when those flaws eclipse the positives, I don't return.

I'm critical and I expect someone to be paying attention to the details, particularly when I'm paying a lot for the pleasure of eating in their restaurant, and I don't reward incompetence or negligence with my repeat business. I doubt you do either.

BreezyCooking said:
GB - you beat me to it!!! Fryboy - I'd be interested to hear if there's any place you've dined where you haven't found something wrong. Do the restaurants in your area have your picture posted? :LOL:

Seriously, I'm not saying that anyone should have to put up with poor food/service, but let's be realistic. Once you start listing things like "a/c is too cold; heat is too hot", etc., etc., your complaints start to lose a lot of oomph. As you yourself said - you do sound like a "bitter old man". How do you ever enjoy dining out? I hope for the sake of your dining companions that you don't bring all these things up while everyone is trying to enjoy their meal - or do you find yourself dining out alone a lot lately. :LOL:
Really! You ever eat in a restaurant with the temperature set to 60 degrees and blowing on you, or no A/C and the temperature in the 80s? That's just a sign of neglect by the owner or manager. Some people may prefer to pretend that everything in live is just peachy, but I'm not one of them.

BTW, I found your response to be pointedly rude -- adding a smiley face doesn't change that. If I had posted such a response, I'm sure I would have received a PM from one of the administrators.

GB said:
I do not think there is anyone who enjoys the children who are misbehaving....
I don't know about that, GB. I've seen parents go ballistic when anyone dares to suggest that their child shouldn't by lying in the middle of the floor, throwing food, or screaming at the top of their lungs.

FryBoy said:
Really! You ever eat in a restaurant with the temperature set to 60 degrees and blowing on you, or no A/C and the temperature in the 80s? That's just a sign of neglect by the owner or manager.
This just goes to my point about each person being different. The temp that you find uncomfortable the person at the next table might find perfect. My wife has been known to put on a sweater when the temp is in the 80's while I am stripped down as far as I can legally go.

FryBoy said:
I don't know about that, GB. I've seen parents go ballistic when anyone dares to suggest that their child shouldn't by lying in the middle of the floor, throwing food, or screaming at the top of their lungs.
Sorry, I meant to say with the exception of the parents of said kids lol.

FryBoy said:
Don't be silly, GB! Is there one pet peeve I've listed that you actually like in a restaurant? Somehow I doubt it.
That is why I said "not to say that you are wrong about any of them". Although there are a few I would not put on my list personally.

I was just trying to joke around with you a little bit FryBoy :)

Last edited:
GB said:
One thing that I constantly see when we have threads like this one are conflicting statements. Some people can't stand when dirty plates are left on the table, while others can't stand that some peoples plates are cleared when the entire dining party is not done yet.

that is why being a restauranteur is such a hard job, because pleasing some people will inevitably mean pissing other people off... i have worked in restaurants where there were different policies on this, slow eaters feel rushed when others' plates are cleared, fast eaters get annoyed at having finished and having to stare at their pork chop bones in front of them for 20 more minutes... just as in life, you have to do what you believe is most appropriate and expect the fact that you cannot please everyone

Claire said:
I go with the "bad children" camp of thought. I avoid any restaurant that bills itself as a "family restaurant" and avoid "fast food" places. So when I'm paying top dollar to dine at a premium-type restaurant, I don't expect to find children playing tag, tripping the waiters, wailing, etc. In that vein, when I dine out and see a particularly great family with the children obviously feelling like they're getting a great treat and having fun "pretending" to be adults, I make a point of stopping by the table if I haven't caught Mom in the loo, and complimenting them on their kids' great manners. Whenever I've done this, I get beaming looks from Mom & Dad. Hey, I know it isn't easy to get those kids to behave, and sometimes the family needs a compliment!

As a child my parents took my 5 siblings and myself for family dining on Sundays. We grew up with manners and were expected to behave appropriately when we were out in public, including the dining table. Many times people stopped and complimented my parents that we were well behaved children. Little did they know that we'd get the wrath if we stepped out of line. :) All it took was a look from my dad and he could send you in tears.

GB said:
One thing that I constantly see when we have threads like this one are conflicting statements. Here is what I mean by that. For some people they do not like when they have to wait for their water glass to be filled, but other people can not stand when their water glass is filled frequently. Some people can't stand when dirty plates are left on the table, while others can't stand that some peoples plates are cleared when the entire dining party is not done yet.

Something we need to keep in mind (for our waiters and waitresses sake) is that everyone is different. what one person expects, someone else will expect the opposite.

Of course this is only true for some things. I do not think there is anyone who enjoys the children who are misbehaving or the waiter who gets the orders wrong and doesn't seem to care or other things like that.

I see your point GB. But surely the wait staff can tell that the customer is getting discouraged upon their frequent returns. Should I point this out to them then and assure them if we need anything that we will let them know? That would probably tick them off I'd think. So its a tricky thing. Either I take the brunt and deal with the annoyance or point it out and then oink them off.

Now here's an admission: I hate eating out with my partner! He uses it as an excuse to canvas the staff's opinions on all kinds of issues. Fortunately, most people cope with it well, much better than I do in fact! They're only doing a job for the money, they're not experts on all the local politicians, house prices, you name it, he'll ask it!

Thank god for the dishwasher and for the fact that we live in a relatively quiet area, making it far more complicated to eat out than in.

I hate the stake that was not seasoned before grilling, and then you are offres slat to salt and pepper to "adjust" the seasoning. Adjust what, there is no seasoning to begin with, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I think GB's point about different strokes for different folks is right on target, but in my experience, the service in top restaurants is remarkably similar. There is an accepted standard for service, but too few places bother to teach their staff what is expected or to supervise them.

SizzlininIN said:
I see your point GB. But surely the wait staff can tell that the customer is getting discouraged upon their frequent returns.

If they're even the same people! Our FORMERLY favorite brewpub was like that! Every time, the majority of the waitstaff was new. We finally got fed up after an inexcusably bad episode, and haven't been back since. We also warn anyone who asks about the place to stay away.

(And as a brewer, I usually have a real interest in seeing a local brewpub succeed!)

John

How true. Something that really gets on one persons wick, simply does not faze another. I have never sent a meal back, I have simply not eaten what I don't care for. Then I will pay, but not go back. There is no doubt in my mind that a good waiter is an extra dish.

Being a server for many years myself, I find myself pretty lenient and understanding when service seems off. Maybe the salad kitchen is much slower that the entree kitchen, maybe a bunch of tables just got sat in your section and your trying to get to everyone, maybe the owner is watching you and you're trying to look busy, or maybe the other waiter you're working with is just not a great waiter and you're trying to make up for his/her downfalls. I guess what I'm saying is that it takes a lot to make me upset about a meal because I always try to asses the situation of the restaurant and be open about what could be going on.
However one pet peeve of mine is when your meal takes forever and your waiter or waitress doesn't keep you informed about what happened with your meal. That really makes me mad. We had an experience once where the waitress took our order and we waited 45 minutes for burgers. The place wasn't particularly busy, but thing is, we never could get our waitress to come back to our table to see what was going on. We tried making eye contact, saying "excuse me", in the end we communicated with another waitress and the manager came out and apologized. In the end, our meals were compted. I didn't even want to leave a tip for the waitress because I was so upset. And I usually always tip 20%.

As to the conflicting statements comments, yeah, I understand, but sometimes a restaurant owner has to take a realistic look at who their target customer is, and are they really out there, who is bringing in the $$$. If your customers are all going to be having 3-8 year olds, well, get with the program. If they are going to be 60-80, turn up the thermostat, but I won't be there, because I don't like eating through a sheen of sweat.

But I'll go with a pet peeve that really, really irritates. Your staff who are 16-35 years old don't get to select the music and the level it is played at if your customers are 50+. Actually go out into your dining room occaisionally. If rap is playing at high volume and there are 50 people in the dining room, all of whom are over 50, you have a serious problem. Some are so so-called "polite" that they'll eat your delicious food, but they won't be back. If the under-21 crowd aren't paying your bills, don't let them select the music. A few times we've ordered drinks, expecting to order our dinners as we drank them, and just asked to have our bills. "Something wrong with the menu?" No, we just actually were planning to speak over our meal. One waitress at one place actually said that they couldn't help it, that customers had put it in the juke box. Well, I know that the juke box volume is controlled by the management, and on top of it, there wasn't anyone young enough in the restaurant besides the employees who would like the music being blasted.

Claire, you've hit a pet peeve of mine as well. I don't mind most kinds of music as long as it's not ringing my eardrums (okay I hate rap especially the kind with the dirty words being repeated 40 million times) but other than that I will tolerate just about anything but don't make me go deaf over it. In my crabby old early 50's I just ask them in a firm voice, "Could you please turn that down--I've really got a headache" I've never had a problem--sure the youngsters look surprised that you could possibly not enjoy losing your hearing but that's life!

Claire said:
As to the conflicting statements comments, yeah, I understand, but sometimes a restaurant owner has to take a realistic look at who their target customer is, and are they really out there, who is bringing in the $$$. If your customers are all going to be having 3-8 year olds, well, get with the program. If they are going to be 60-80, turn up the thermostat, but I won't be there, because I don't like eating through a sheen of sweat.

But I'll go with a pet peeve that really, really irritates. Your staff who are 16-35 years old don't get to select the music and the level it is played at if your customers are 50+. Actually go out into your dining room occaisionally. If rap is playing at high volume and there are 50 people in the dining room, all of whom are over 50, you have a serious problem. Some are so so-called "polite" that they'll eat your delicious food, but they won't be back. If the under-21 crowd aren't paying your bills, don't let them select the music. A few times we've ordered drinks, expecting to order our dinners as we drank them, and just asked to have our bills. "Something wrong with the menu?" No, we just actually were planning to speak over our meal. One waitress at one place actually said that they couldn't help it, that customers had put it in the juke box. Well, I know that the juke box volume is controlled by the management, and on top of it, there wasn't anyone young enough in the restaurant besides the employees who would like the music being blasted.

sounds like you're dining in local pubs, rather than quality restaurants. i'm only 25 & intend to own a restaurant quite soon- maybe a few yrs. from today, Lord willing, & i'd send an employee on thier way if i heard such music in my restaurant. age & hospitality are seperate entities.:LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom