"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-12-2006, 03:06 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
This has infuriated me for ever. I believe it's because they want to get you in and out quickly and turn the table over for another paying customer.

I have gotten into the habit of not ordering the whole meal at once. We'll order drinks and when they come, we order apps. Later on we order the entrées. It's the only way I can be sure of controlling the tempo of the meal. I don't always do this as sometimes we skip apps or are OK with a quicker meal.
for us in the kitchen it never fails to amaze me that the server (usually the bar server) doesn't pick up the appies until they are almost cold, and the main is almost ready... Now THAT ticks me off.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:35 AM   #32
Executive Chef

One thing that really helps us get served right away (if the waiter is male) is to have our grandaughter with us. She is 25 and a real looker. We get served before others usually, our needs are taken care of and when we went to Olive Garden they gave us a huge pile of chocolate mints, not the 2 apiece the girls usually give. That isn't right, but we didn't complain.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:11 AM   #33
Head Chef

When the waiter returns after a long time, only to tell me they've run out of my order, especially if it's my main course. They should know what dishes are running low and should forewarn the customer and get back to the customer immediately before taking the order. Grrrr.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:32 AM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
sparrowgrass, you live in the St Louis Arch?
Don't be silly, Robo. The Arch isn't even close to being the highest point in MO.

I am in Iron County. About 5 miles south and west of me is Taum Sauk Mountain, all 1772 feet of it.

The top of the arch is about 1100 feet above sea level.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:44 AM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCook
for us in the kitchen it never fails to amaze me that the server (usually the bar server) doesn't pick up the appies until they are almost cold, and the main is almost ready... Now THAT ticks me off.

I hear you. That makes the kitchen look bad when it's not your doing.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #36
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Thought of a couple more during the night (I'm a bitter old man):

Waiters who obsessively pour the wine every time they walk by the table -- it's really a ploy to get you to drink it all before the meal is over so you'll order more. Plus my wife gets ticked off because I get more than she does because I eat and drink too fast.

Red wine that is warm.

Waiters who don't know what the soup of the day is.

Hot soup that isn't hot.

Iced butter that can't be spread until dessert arrives.

Food that arrives in shifts -- first mine, then my wife's 5 minutes later, especially if there's no apology or explanation from the waiter.

Tables or chairs that wobble.

Booths that are uncomfortably close to the table (I'm 6 feet, 210 pounds).

Booths that are too far away from the table, forcing you to choose between sitting on the edge of the seat or dropping food on your lap.

Tiny tables for two that are crowded with salt, pepper, sugar, fake sugar, flowers, wine glasses, water glasses, etc., leaving no room for the breadbasket once the food arrives.

Cockroaches on the floor, wall, or table; bugs in the food (my wife once found a gnat in her salad, sent it back, and got a new salad with -- that's right -- a new gnat).

Noticing the "Grade B" sign in the window as we leave, or worse, a "Grade C" (the county health department here rates restaurants on cleanliness).

People who are rude to the wait staff -- my wife's uncle, a very wealthy jackass of a man, delighted in abusing waiters, not just teasing them, but being downright mean to them for the pure fun of it.

Based on this thread, I'm thinking of starting a consulting business called "What's Wrong With This Dump."
Old 09-13-2006, 08:46 AM   #37
Master Chef

If you were to ask my mother-in-law it was the time she was in a small, quaint hilltop restaurant in a small quaint country (which will go unmentioned) and a flock of 3 chickens came galloping out from under the kitchen's swinging door followed by a knife wielding chef. She lost all appetite.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:00 AM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
We seem to have a knack for attracting noisy children or even grownups nearby. If I hear them as we are being seated, we ask for another area, but sometimes they come in afterward and really ruin what could be a nice time. Another thing that really gets me is if the waiter or waitress talks only to dh as though I weren't there (playing for a larger tip, I think) I try not to think about that if I'm doing the paying, but it does strike a nerve.
I totally agree with you, Licia,

Nothing amazes me more than parents who bring young children to a restaurant and have nothing to entertain them with. I had 2 active children when they were young (my son was ADD) and we never went to anywhere without having boatloads of stuff for them to do. If they did act up (which was rarely) out the door they went---we were too conscious of the people around us spending money to enjoy their evenings out to have it ruined by our children.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:36 AM   #39
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I hate when they kitchen gets too sloppy to properly trim their meats of fat... or when I pay for a good steak, and 40% of it is fat... and then they try to tell me it is well marbled! I don't ever really order steak when I'm out anymore.

One other thing too, I like my silverware to be flawlessly shiny. I know they are only water spots, but they don't look nice...
Old 09-13-2006, 10:04 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Overcooked food and oversalted is my biggest pet peeve.