"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-14-2006, 12:01 PM   #71
Head Chef

Now here's an admission: I hate eating out with my partner! He uses it as an excuse to canvas the staff's opinions on all kinds of issues. Fortunately, most people cope with it well, much better than I do in fact! They're only doing a job for the money, they're not experts on all the local politicians, house prices, you name it, he'll ask it!

Thank god for the dishwasher and for the fact that we live in a relatively quiet area, making it far more complicated to eat out than in.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:24 PM   #72
Master Chef

I hate the stake that was not seasoned before grilling, and then you are offres slat to salt and pepper to "adjust" the seasoning. Adjust what, there is no seasoning to begin with, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 09-14-2006, 01:06 PM   #73
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Corkscrew
I think GB's point about different strokes for different folks is right on target, but in my experience, the service in top restaurants is remarkably similar. There is an accepted standard for service, but too few places bother to teach their staff what is expected or to supervise them.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:52 PM   #74
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
I see your point GB. But surely the wait staff can tell that the customer is getting discouraged upon their frequent returns.
If they're even the same people! Our FORMERLY favorite brewpub was like that! Every time, the majority of the waitstaff was new. We finally got fed up after an inexcusably bad episode, and haven't been back since. We also warn anyone who asks about the place to stay away.

(And as a brewer, I usually have a real interest in seeing a local brewpub succeed!)

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:21 PM   #75
Master Chef

yeah, overcooked/underseasoned steak. uck.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:13 PM   #76
Senior Cook

How true. Something that really gets on one persons wick, simply does not faze another. I have never sent a meal back, I have simply not eaten what I don't care for. Then I will pay, but not go back. There is no doubt in my mind that a good waiter is an extra dish.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:42 PM   #77
Cook

Being a server for many years myself, I find myself pretty lenient and understanding when service seems off. Maybe the salad kitchen is much slower that the entree kitchen, maybe a bunch of tables just got sat in your section and your trying to get to everyone, maybe the owner is watching you and you're trying to look busy, or maybe the other waiter you're working with is just not a great waiter and you're trying to make up for his/her downfalls. I guess what I'm saying is that it takes a lot to make me upset about a meal because I always try to asses the situation of the restaurant and be open about what could be going on.
However one pet peeve of mine is when your meal takes forever and your waiter or waitress doesn't keep you informed about what happened with your meal. That really makes me mad. We had an experience once where the waitress took our order and we waited 45 minutes for burgers. The place wasn't particularly busy, but thing is, we never could get our waitress to come back to our table to see what was going on. We tried making eye contact, saying "excuse me", in the end we communicated with another waitress and the manager came out and apologized. In the end, our meals were compted. I didn't even want to leave a tip for the waitress because I was so upset. And I usually always tip 20%.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:49 PM   #78
Master Chef

As to the conflicting statements comments, yeah, I understand, but sometimes a restaurant owner has to take a realistic look at who their target customer is, and are they really out there, who is bringing in the $$$. If your customers are all going to be having 3-8 year olds, well, get with the program. If they are going to be 60-80, turn up the thermostat, but I won't be there, because I don't like eating through a sheen of sweat.

But I'll go with a pet peeve that really, really irritates. Your staff who are 16-35 years old don't get to select the music and the level it is played at if your customers are 50+. Actually go out into your dining room occaisionally. If rap is playing at high volume and there are 50 people in the dining room, all of whom are over 50, you have a serious problem. Some are so so-called "polite" that they'll eat your delicious food, but they won't be back. If the under-21 crowd aren't paying your bills, don't let them select the music. A few times we've ordered drinks, expecting to order our dinners as we drank them, and just asked to have our bills. "Something wrong with the menu?" No, we just actually were planning to speak over our meal. One waitress at one place actually said that they couldn't help it, that customers had put it in the juke box. Well, I know that the juke box volume is controlled by the management, and on top of it, there wasn't anyone young enough in the restaurant besides the employees who would like the music being blasted.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:27 AM   #79
Master Chef

Claire, you've hit a pet peeve of mine as well. I don't mind most kinds of music as long as it's not ringing my eardrums (okay I hate rap especially the kind with the dirty words being repeated 40 million times) but other than that I will tolerate just about anything but don't make me go deaf over it. In my crabby old early 50's I just ask them in a firm voice, "Could you please turn that down--I've really got a headache" I've never had a problem--sure the youngsters look surprised that you could possibly not enjoy losing your hearing but that's life!
Old 09-16-2006, 01:32 AM   #80
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
As to the conflicting statements comments, yeah, I understand, but sometimes a restaurant owner has to take a realistic look at who their target customer is, and are they really out there, who is bringing in the $$$. If your customers are all going to be having 3-8 year olds, well, get with the program. If they are going to be 60-80, turn up the thermostat, but I won't be there, because I don't like eating through a sheen of sweat.

But I'll go with a pet peeve that really, really irritates. Your staff who are 16-35 years old don't get to select the music and the level it is played at if your customers are 50+. Actually go out into your dining room occaisionally. If rap is playing at high volume and there are 50 people in the dining room, all of whom are over 50, you have a serious problem. Some are so so-called "polite" that they'll eat your delicious food, but they won't be back. If the under-21 crowd aren't paying your bills, don't let them select the music. A few times we've ordered drinks, expecting to order our dinners as we drank them, and just asked to have our bills. "Something wrong with the menu?" No, we just actually were planning to speak over our meal. One waitress at one place actually said that they couldn't help it, that customers had put it in the juke box. Well, I know that the juke box volume is controlled by the management, and on top of it, there wasn't anyone young enough in the restaurant besides the employees who would like the music being blasted.
sounds like you're dining in local pubs, rather than quality restaurants. i'm only 25 & intend to own a restaurant quite soon- maybe a few yrs. from today, Lord willing, & i'd send an employee on thier way if i heard such music in my restaurant. age & hospitality are seperate entities.