"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-11-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Dining Pet Peeves

what drives you crazy about the food you are served when eating out - either at friends' or in restaurants, i have a couple i can think of right now:

1) biting into a large chunk of ginger left behind in a dish, in stir fries or asian noodle dishes, they tend to use some chunks for flavor but are supposed to remove them.... it totally kills your palate from that point forward!

2) pasta that is not "al dente" and mushy with no "presence"

3) being served "bad wine" - the bottle of red wine that was opened two weeks ago where only a glass was served and saved for the next person to ask for wine

Old 09-11-2006, 11:16 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Overcooked meat or vegetables.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:26 AM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Overcooked meat or vegetables.
Agreed. Overcooked veggies are the worst!
Old 09-11-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven S
2) pasta that is not "al dente" and mushy with no "presence"
This is one of the reasons I decided not to order any pasta dishes outside Italy and prefer making them myself...

When I bite into a piece of chicken or pork, typically something like chinese sweet and sour, battered or breaded thoroughly so what really is inside is invisible, I would find a pure chunk of fat and/or gristle, instead of meat.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
One of my biggest pet peeves is when we order appetizers, salad, and an entree and they ALL come out at the same time - nothing gets to me more!!!!! ...but I'll probably think of more that are equally as annoying.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:49 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
One of my biggest pet peeves is when we order appetizers, salad, and an entree and they ALL come out at the same time - nothing gets to me more!!!!! ...but I'll probably think of more that are equally as annoying.

This has infuriated me for ever. I believe it's because they want to get you in and out quickly and turn the table over for another paying customer.

I have gotten into the habit of not ordering the whole meal at once. We'll order drinks and when they come, we order apps. Later on we order the entrées. It's the only way I can be sure of controlling the tempo of the meal. I don't always do this as sometimes we skip apps or are OK with a quicker meal.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:50 PM   #7
Senior Cook

...when the waiter/waitress refills my water glass several times before the entrees come out, without asking. Maybe this is my fault, since I never say, "Please don't." I am a compulsive drinker of water, so I always seem to fill up on water and not enjoy my meal.

Also, when the waiter/waitress interrupts what is clearly an animated and engrossing conversation to ask if he/she can refill your water or something.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:56 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
This has infuriated me for ever. I believe it's because they want to get you in and out quickly and turn the table over for another paying customer..
Wow, sometimes we have the opposite problem in restaurants in Italy. We would finish a course and then have to wait, wait, and wait until the next course comes out finally. It can be equally annoying!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I have gotten into the habit of not ordering the whole meal at once. We'll order drinks and when they come, we order apps. Later on we order the entrées. It's the only way I can be sure of controlling the tempo of the meal. I don't always do this as sometimes we skip apps or are OK with a quicker meal.
Clever, but a nightmare for the waiter & the kitchen!! Tip them good, Andy
Old 09-11-2006, 01:05 PM   #9
Head Chef

Overattentive service is as annoying as bad service. If I need somethng else or its not fine I'll say, to check a couple of times is fine, but more than once per course....??? And to ask when you all have your mouths full? Or when waiting staff loitre and listen in....makes me mad! I think some people are bless with charm - these guys make excellent service staff, if you are not one of those lucky few then don't draw attention to it and be discreet in your service!

Apart from that, unless there is something glaringly wrong with the meal, I still get a buzz when I eat out, and forgive a lot , which my husband thinks is hilarious, but its part of it, that glimmer of excitement and making an effort. Whether its a local joint or a smart place I llike it, if I don't get that buzz one day I'll stop eating out.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Wow, sometimes we have the opposite problem in restaurants in Italy. We would finish a course and then have to wait, wait, and wait until the next course comes out finally. It can be equally annoying!!

I guess you have to adapt to your surroundings! We don't often have that problem here.

Clever, but a nightmare for the waiter & the kitchen!! Tip them good, Andy
It's the waiter and/or the kitchen that creates my nightmare in the first place!

However, I always want to tip generously because that means I've had an enjoyable dining experience.