Dinner date, I'm cooking, need assistance please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm now stuck with a mental picture of you sitting in the sauna (in swimming trunks, of course - I'm not that weird) with a bowl of veggies on your lap and trying to pretend they aren't there :LOL:.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: Was wondering when someone would fully pick up on that line.

Hope the date turns out well. What's for pudding, sorry, dessert?

I was hoping a second glass of wine and a movie on the couch. :angel: I'm working on losing 30 pounds otherwise I would probably crack out some of my pumpkin semifreddo (made from scratch, of course).

Wow Anthony, she's good. She's very good. Wonder how long she's been stalking you...:huh:

LOL! Not very long, if at all. She's only been here a few weeks. I've been here for years… But, I've learned by this point in my life how to tell when a woman is interested in me. I'm almost 30 and I just found out today she's 23. Which was nearly a given with how obvious she was for the few days leading up to the other night. Other than giving away her age and interest, she's a very mature person for her age.

Little tangent here, but I still find it funny to this day. I was on an online dating site last summer and in my profile I mentioned three separate times that I am a single father. I ended up going out to dinner with a nice young lady and just as the appetizers came, something was brought up about children. I mentioned, what I thought was AGAIN, that I had a son and she was like, "Oh. Yeah. I don't date guys with kids." :ohmy: So the rest of the meal we looked like a couple that had been together for years. Eating in silence, occasionally looking at each other. Me with a 'WTF' face and her with an 'is it over yet?' face… :mad:

But don't you need a rice cooker to steam rice?

That was my point. I prefer steamed rice over cooked rice.

Also, there's a lot of mention of microwaves here. Not denying the convenience, but my Nana would hop an hour cab drive to slap me in the back of the head if I made anything in a microwave. We don't even use one for reheating stuff.

Someone mentioned not being fond of steamed veggies, I'm with you nearly 100%. I loathe it when others steam veggies for me. they get soggy and smelly, especially broccoli. I give them a very light steaming. Usually only steam broccoli, I sauté everything else, but when I steam mine, I only let it sit until the color turns just slightly. Just a few short minutes enough to give it a light heating. If it doesn't still crunch when you're done steaming it, you did it wrong.

Anyway, I thank all of you for the ideas and such. I think I'm settled on making the potatoes in the oven. While I want to show my prowess in the kitchen, I do want to take time to give her the attention she deserves. Though it might be a nice little treat to get her in on cooking the meal. We'll see. Anyway, settled on baby pots in the oven, chicken slowly on the stove and lightly steamed veggies. Hopefully we'll have leftovers and she can take them to work and not be stuck with prepackaged microwave nonsense. I'll be sure to get a picture of the meal and let you all know how it goes. Just have to figure out when is good for both of us…

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a plan :) Have you decided on libations?

Not just yet. I like Yellow Tail and Barefoot Chardonnay. A nice bottle of Riesling would probably be nice as well, but I won't make a decision till we are able to decide on a day for the dinner. Gonna pick up all my ingredients fresh so I'll check at the Whole Foods or stop at the liquor store down the road and, as suggested, explain my meal and ask for advice. The folks at WF are really good at suggesting brews, honestly if it wasn't for them, I probably wouldn't be into most of the craft beers I absolutely love, like Ommegang and Left Hand. I'll probably grab a bottle of Ommegang Witte or Rare Vos as well. Just 'cause they're good beers. :LOL:

When you say "baby potatoes" are you talking about fingerlings or new potatoes? When I make fingerlings, I usually steam/braise them in a saute pan with water, salt and butter. Once the water evaporates, I can either remove the potatoes and make sauce with the butter or I can use the butter to crisp the potatoes. I have used the same method to steam carrots and green beans. I usually start the carrots first and add the beans later, so they are done at the same time. If I want to make glazed carrots or bourbon sweet potatoes, I'll use this steaming method to cook the vegis and add the brown sugar and bourbon, when the water evaporates, to make the glaze. Extra butter is up to you!:angel:

Not just yet. I like Yellow Tail and Barefoot Chardonnay. A nice bottle of Riesling would probably be nice as well, but I won't make a decision till we are able to decide on a day for the dinner. Gonna pick up all my ingredients fresh so I'll check at the Whole Foods or stop at the liquor store down the road and, as suggested, explain my meal and ask for advice. The folks at WF are really good at suggesting brews, honestly if it wasn't for them, I probably wouldn't be into most of the craft beers I absolutely love, like Ommegang and Left Hand. I'll probably grab a bottle of Ommegang Witte or Rare Vos as well. Just 'cause they're good beers. :LOL:
You're on the right track.

I'm more of a wine guy myself, but I can certainly appreciate a good beer. If you're into craft brew, that's probably what you should serve with your meal. I think the Ommegang Witbier is a great choice with your meal. Wheat beers are unpretentious, light, refreshing, and not bitter. They go good with food, without getting in the way.

If you do decide on wine, I'd probably serve either a "new world" (US/Aussie) Sauvignon Blanc or a Riesling. Just like the beer above, they are also light and refreshing, and tend to be good food wines.

Last edited:

If you do decide on wine, I'd probably serve either a "new world" (US/Aussie) Sauvignon Blanc or a Riesling. Just like the beer above, they are also light and refreshing, and tend to be good food wines.

Sorry, I meant to include "New Zealand" here as well.

Steve, wouldn't you also want to include South America in that list? We've had some wonderful wine in both Chile and Argentina.

When you say "baby potatoes" are you talking about fingerlings or new potatoes? When I make fingerlings, I usually steam/braise them in a saute pan with water, salt and butter. Once the water evaporates, I can either remove the potatoes and make sauce with the butter or I can use the butter to crisp the potatoes. I have used the same method to steam carrots and green beans. I usually start the carrots first and add the beans later, so they are done at the same time. If I want to make glazed carrots or bourbon sweet potatoes, I'll use this steaming method to cook the vegis and add the brown sugar and bourbon, when the water evaporates, to make the glaze. Extra butter is up to you!:angel:

Eh… I dunno. I usually see them at WF in a mixed bag of reds and Yukon's and they're slightly smaller than a golf ball and relatively round. So I guess the proper term is "new potatoes." Maybe it's just a regional name/nickname.

Have you had Left Hand Milk Stout? Luscious, especially on tap.

You mean this stuff here?

MilkStoutNitro1.jpg

This isn't my picture, I apparently deleted mine off my phone, but yes. I went to the craft beer fest in NYC a few months back and tried it there. I'm not a huge fan of stouts, but it is one I can tolerate. I'm not much for bitter stuffs. Also, I can't drink this at the "recommended" temp. I prefer to have mine a bit colder and out of the bottle, rather than with 2 inches of foam. I order my lattes sans foam as well. :yum:

I'm more of a wine guy myself, but I can certainly appreciate a good beer. If you're into craft brew, that's probably what you should serve with your meal. I think the Ommegang Witbier is a great choice with your meal. Wheat beers are unpretentious, light, refreshing, and not bitter. They go good with food, without getting in the way.

Funny you should say that. I was thinking, after that post, that the beer should work fine on its own. It will be enough to introduce it's presence without overpowering any part of the meal.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the Yellowtail Sauvignon Blanc. I'm definitely leaning towards buying both the beer and the wine and serving the wine as dessert.

Lots of good advice on this thread.

Now for some bad advice. ;)

Forget about cooking and take her to McD's.

You'll find out what she thinks about you. :rolleyes:

You can see why I'm single. :whistling

Good luck. :brows:

You can tell a lot about a girl when she orders her cheeseburger....:LOL:

I'm sure you have one redeeming quality...do you use coupons?

I took my ex on a date to BK one day… A serious date. She talked about it for years. Not in a bad way and definitely not in a good way.

But the notion is a good one. That's a good way to find out if a young lady is really interested in you. I've come to find out this young lady is a fan of Wendy's, so, I will definitely be throwing the idea around. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

You can tell a lot about a girl when she orders her cheeseburger....:LOL:

Yes. Yes you can. :cool:

I wish you well! Cooking for a young lady is a good way to show 'em you're able to be "domesticated.":ROFLMAO: If you want to do baby reds I would suggest you blanch them the day before. Get some salted water boiling and cook the spuds til they're not quite fork tender; then shock them in very cold water til they're chilled. Leave the skins on. Then within the next couple days you can slice them and sautee them.

There are a couple of things I like to cook for dates. The first is crepes. Crepes look very fancy and are quite delicious, plus they make you look like you're a pro! Despite that they're actually pretty easy to make.

If a girl makes it past the first few weeks I'll hit her with a special dish, Coq au Vin. It's a lot of work but it makes quite an impression.

Disclosure: I'm actually a chef so cooking is one thing that I can usually do better than any woman I might date.:shifty::chef:

Back when Buck and I were dating...in the Dark Ages, I was the one who made the dinner. That's mostly because his living arrangements weren't conducive to much more than take-out or microwave fare. I had my own place with a full kitchen and plenty of cooking tools (toys).

Needless to say, the first time I prepared a meal for him I was a bit on the anxious side because I knew he appreciated good food. I was fairly confident in myself as far as my cooking skills were concerned but he was a new entity and I, obviously, wanted to make a good impression.

I can't remember what I cooked, been over 40 years now, but I can guarantee I made something I cooked well and something that could be at least partly made ahead of time. I wanted to spend my evening with him not the kitchen.

I used the nicest, at least at that time, dishware and flatware I owned and used cloth napkins that I folded in a clever design I learned in a book I found at the library. The apartment was dusted and vacuumed and I presented myself in the freshest and most pleasant manner as possible.

In our many years dating and the 32 years we were married, I guess he liked what I cooked because he always had a compliment "for the chef."

To say simply, prepare something you have confidence that you can do well, something that has the facility for being done a bit before hand, and something that will look pretty on the plate. Look for simple little touches you can add to the decor of your quarters and something that will add charm to your table.

Then...be yourself and enjoy the evening. If the meal isn't what you hoped for. Order pizza, then have a good laugh together. It won't be a national tragedy.

Have fun!!!! I was about your age when I met Buck. What lovely memories!!!

Disclosure: I'm actually a chef so cooking is one thing that I can usually do better than any woman I might date.:shifty::chef:

Ha! I have no formal training, just a passion for trying new things in the kitchen, so I've had the same experience. My sons mother can cook some stuff, but she usually fidgets with it until her mother comes over and finishes it for her. My ex before her… Well… The only thing she could "cook" was ramen. And she would microwave a bowl of water and then put the noodles in that bowl of water. :wacko:

I'm definitely thinking about getting this young lady involved in cooking the meal for this date. I think it would be a nice way to get dinner made and get to know each other as well. Doing things together is a good way of learning about each other.

Last edited:
If you're going to get her involved in cooking the meal, you'd better have an apron for her to wear. If you had one on as well, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom