"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-23-2014, 10:29 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Yep, it looks like we've come full circle. I repeat again from post #2 and you sure don't need a rice cooker to cook rice!
But don't you need a rice cooker to steam rice?

Old 01-23-2014, 11:59 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I'm now stuck with a mental picture of you sitting in the sauna (in swimming trunks, of course - I'm not that weird) with a bowl of veggies on your lap and trying to pretend they aren't there .
Was wondering when someone would fully pick up on that line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Hope the date turns out well. What's for pudding, sorry, dessert?
I was hoping a second glass of wine and a movie on the couch. I'm working on losing 30 pounds otherwise I would probably crack out some of my pumpkin semifreddo (made from scratch, of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Wow Anthony, she's good. She's very good. Wonder how long she's been stalking you...
LOL! Not very long, if at all. She's only been here a few weeks. I've been here for years… But, I've learned by this point in my life how to tell when a woman is interested in me. I'm almost 30 and I just found out today she's 23. Which was nearly a given with how obvious she was for the few days leading up to the other night. Other than giving away her age and interest, she's a very mature person for her age.

Little tangent here, but I still find it funny to this day. I was on an online dating site last summer and in my profile I mentioned three separate times that I am a single father. I ended up going out to dinner with a nice young lady and just as the appetizers came, something was brought up about children. I mentioned, what I thought was AGAIN, that I had a son and she was like, "Oh. Yeah. I don't date guys with kids." So the rest of the meal we looked like a couple that had been together for years. Eating in silence, occasionally looking at each other. Me with a 'WTF' face and her with an 'is it over yet?' face…

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
But don't you need a rice cooker to steam rice?
That was my point. I prefer steamed rice over cooked rice.

Also, there's a lot of mention of microwaves here. Not denying the convenience, but my Nana would hop an hour cab drive to slap me in the back of the head if I made anything in a microwave. We don't even use one for reheating stuff.

Someone mentioned not being fond of steamed veggies, I'm with you nearly 100%. I loathe it when others steam veggies for me. they get soggy and smelly, especially broccoli. I give them a very light steaming. Usually only steam broccoli, I sauté everything else, but when I steam mine, I only let it sit until the color turns just slightly. Just a few short minutes enough to give it a light heating. If it doesn't still crunch when you're done steaming it, you did it wrong.

Anyway, I thank all of you for the ideas and such. I think I'm settled on making the potatoes in the oven. While I want to show my prowess in the kitchen, I do want to take time to give her the attention she deserves. Though it might be a nice little treat to get her in on cooking the meal. We'll see. Anyway, settled on baby pots in the oven, chicken slowly on the stove and lightly steamed veggies. Hopefully we'll have leftovers and she can take them to work and not be stuck with prepackaged microwave nonsense. I'll be sure to get a picture of the meal and let you all know how it goes. Just have to figure out when is good for both of us…

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.
AnthonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:31 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds like you have a plan Have you decided on libations?
Old 01-24-2014, 01:44 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Sounds like you have a plan Have you decided on libations?
Not just yet. I like Yellow Tail and Barefoot Chardonnay. A nice bottle of Riesling would probably be nice as well, but I won't make a decision till we are able to decide on a day for the dinner. Gonna pick up all my ingredients fresh so I'll check at the Whole Foods or stop at the liquor store down the road and, as suggested, explain my meal and ask for advice. The folks at WF are really good at suggesting brews, honestly if it wasn't for them, I probably wouldn't be into most of the craft beers I absolutely love, like Ommegang and Left Hand. I'll probably grab a bottle of Ommegang Witte or Rare Vos as well. Just 'cause they're good beers.

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.
AnthonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:54 AM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ View Post
...The folks at WF are really good at suggesting brews, honestly if it wasn't for them, I probably wouldn't be into most of the craft beers I absolutely love, like Ommegang and Left Hand....
Have you had Left Hand Milk Stout? Luscious, especially on tap.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #26
Executive Chef

When you say "baby potatoes" are you talking about fingerlings or new potatoes? When I make fingerlings, I usually steam/braise them in a saute pan with water, salt and butter. Once the water evaporates, I can either remove the potatoes and make sauce with the butter or I can use the butter to crisp the potatoes. I have used the same method to steam carrots and green beans. I usually start the carrots first and add the beans later, so they are done at the same time. If I want to make glazed carrots or bourbon sweet potatoes, I'll use this steaming method to cook the vegis and add the brown sugar and bourbon, when the water evaporates, to make the glaze. Extra butter is up to you!
Old 01-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #27
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ View Post
Not just yet. I like Yellow Tail and Barefoot Chardonnay. A nice bottle of Riesling would probably be nice as well, but I won't make a decision till we are able to decide on a day for the dinner. Gonna pick up all my ingredients fresh so I'll check at the Whole Foods or stop at the liquor store down the road and, as suggested, explain my meal and ask for advice. The folks at WF are really good at suggesting brews, honestly if it wasn't for them, I probably wouldn't be into most of the craft beers I absolutely love, like Ommegang and Left Hand. I'll probably grab a bottle of Ommegang Witte or Rare Vos as well. Just 'cause they're good beers.
You're on the right track.

I'm more of a wine guy myself, but I can certainly appreciate a good beer. If you're into craft brew, that's probably what you should serve with your meal. I think the Ommegang Witbier is a great choice with your meal. Wheat beers are unpretentious, light, refreshing, and not bitter. They go good with food, without getting in the way.

If you do decide on wine, I'd probably serve either a "new world" (US/Aussie) Sauvignon Blanc or a Riesling. Just like the beer above, they are also light and refreshing, and tend to be good food wines.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #28
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
...I'd probably serve either a "new world" (US/Aussie) Sauvignon Blanc or a Riesling.
Sorry, I meant to include "New Zealand" here as well.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
You're on the right track.

If you do decide on wine, I'd probably serve either a "new world" (US/Aussie) Sauvignon Blanc or a Riesling. Just like the beer above, they are also light and refreshing, and tend to be good food wines.
Quote:
Sorry, I meant to include "New Zealand" here as well.
Steve, wouldn't you also want to include South America in that list? We've had some wonderful wine in both Chile and Argentina.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:33 PM   #30
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Steve would like to include Minnesota in that list...

Tags
cook, cooking, dinner