"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-24-2014, 05:07 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
When you say "baby potatoes" are you talking about fingerlings or new potatoes? When I make fingerlings, I usually steam/braise them in a saute pan with water, salt and butter. Once the water evaporates, I can either remove the potatoes and make sauce with the butter or I can use the butter to crisp the potatoes. I have used the same method to steam carrots and green beans. I usually start the carrots first and add the beans later, so they are done at the same time. If I want to make glazed carrots or bourbon sweet potatoes, I'll use this steaming method to cook the vegis and add the brown sugar and bourbon, when the water evaporates, to make the glaze. Extra butter is up to you!
Eh… I dunno. I usually see them at WF in a mixed bag of reds and Yukon's and they're slightly smaller than a golf ball and relatively round. So I guess the proper term is "new potatoes." Maybe it's just a regional name/nickname.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Have you had Left Hand Milk Stout? Luscious, especially on tap.
You mean this stuff here?

This isn't my picture, I apparently deleted mine off my phone, but yes. I went to the craft beer fest in NYC a few months back and tried it there. I'm not a huge fan of stouts, but it is one I can tolerate. I'm not much for bitter stuffs. Also, I can't drink this at the "recommended" temp. I prefer to have mine a bit colder and out of the bottle, rather than with 2 inches of foam. I order my lattes sans foam as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
You're on the right track.

I'm more of a wine guy myself, but I can certainly appreciate a good beer. If you're into craft brew, that's probably what you should serve with your meal. I think the Ommegang Witbier is a great choice with your meal. Wheat beers are unpretentious, light, refreshing, and not bitter. They go good with food, without getting in the way.
Funny you should say that. I was thinking, after that post, that the beer should work fine on its own. It will be enough to introduce it's presence without overpowering any part of the meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
If you do decide on wine, I'd probably serve either a "new world" (US/Aussie) Sauvignon Blanc or a Riesling. Just like the beer above, they are also light and refreshing, and tend to be good food wines.
Yeah, I'm a big fan of the Yellowtail Sauvignon Blanc. I'm definitely leaning towards buying both the beer and the wine and serving the wine as dessert.

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.
AnthonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #32
Head Chef

Lots of good advice on this thread.

Now for some bad advice.

Forget about cooking and take her to McD's.

You'll find out what she thinks about you.

You can see why I'm single.

Good luck.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:14 PM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post

Now for some bad advice.

Good luck.
You can tell a lot about a girl when she orders her cheeseburger....

I'm sure you have one redeeming quality...do you use coupons?
Old 01-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

That's a true statement for sure.

Just watch out for "Super Sized" It could break the bank.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Quote:

Now for some bad advice.

Good luck.
I took my ex on a date to BK one day… A serious date. She talked about it for years. Not in a bad way and definitely not in a good way.

But the notion is a good one. That's a good way to find out if a young lady is really interested in you. I've come to find out this young lady is a fan of Wendy's, so, I will definitely be throwing the idea around. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Yes. Yes you can.

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:58 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Just watch out for "Super Sized" It could break the bank.
She's tiny. If she could put down a super sized meal, I would be genuinely impressed.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:09 AM   #37
Head Chef

I wish you well! Cooking for a young lady is a good way to show 'em you're able to be "domesticated." If you want to do baby reds I would suggest you blanch them the day before. Get some salted water boiling and cook the spuds til they're not quite fork tender; then shock them in very cold water til they're chilled. Leave the skins on. Then within the next couple days you can slice them and sautee them.

There are a couple of things I like to cook for dates. The first is crepes. Crepes look very fancy and are quite delicious, plus they make you look like you're a pro! Despite that they're actually pretty easy to make.

If a girl makes it past the first few weeks I'll hit her with a special dish, Coq au Vin. It's a lot of work but it makes quite an impression.

Disclosure: I'm actually a chef so cooking is one thing that I can usually do better than any woman I might date.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Back when Buck and I were dating...in the Dark Ages, I was the one who made the dinner. That's mostly because his living arrangements weren't conducive to much more than take-out or microwave fare. I had my own place with a full kitchen and plenty of cooking tools (toys).

Needless to say, the first time I prepared a meal for him I was a bit on the anxious side because I knew he appreciated good food. I was fairly confident in myself as far as my cooking skills were concerned but he was a new entity and I, obviously, wanted to make a good impression.

I can't remember what I cooked, been over 40 years now, but I can guarantee I made something I cooked well and something that could be at least partly made ahead of time. I wanted to spend my evening with him not the kitchen.

I used the nicest, at least at that time, dishware and flatware I owned and used cloth napkins that I folded in a clever design I learned in a book I found at the library. The apartment was dusted and vacuumed and I presented myself in the freshest and most pleasant manner as possible.

In our many years dating and the 32 years we were married, I guess he liked what I cooked because he always had a compliment "for the chef."

To say simply, prepare something you have confidence that you can do well, something that has the facility for being done a bit before hand, and something that will look pretty on the plate. Look for simple little touches you can add to the decor of your quarters and something that will add charm to your table.

Then...be yourself and enjoy the evening. If the meal isn't what you hoped for. Order pizza, then have a good laugh together. It won't be a national tragedy.

Have fun!!!! I was about your age when I met Buck. What lovely memories!!!
Old 01-25-2014, 01:12 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
Disclosure: I'm actually a chef so cooking is one thing that I can usually do better than any woman I might date.
Ha! I have no formal training, just a passion for trying new things in the kitchen, so I've had the same experience. My sons mother can cook some stuff, but she usually fidgets with it until her mother comes over and finishes it for her. My ex before her… Well… The only thing she could "cook" was ramen. And she would microwave a bowl of water and then put the noodles in that bowl of water.

I'm definitely thinking about getting this young lady involved in cooking the meal for this date. I think it would be a nice way to get dinner made and get to know each other as well. Doing things together is a good way of learning about each other.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

If you're going to get her involved in cooking the meal, you'd better have an apron for her to wear. If you had one on as well, that wouldn't be a bad thing.

Tags
cook, cooking, dinner