"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2014, 02:22 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
AnthonyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: On The Moon
Posts: 49
Dinner date, I'm cooking, need assistance please

Long story short, I have a dinner date coming up. I know what I want to make for the young lady, but I need a little assistance.

I'm looking to make peppered chicken in lemon butter, topped with fresh grated parm. With that, I'd like to make some baby potatoes and steamed broccoli and baby carrots in a butter sauce.

As far as the potatoes go, I must be searching wrong because I keep finding recipes to put them in the oven. I'm hoping to cook them on the stovetop. I figured on cutting them in half and sautéing them with something.

The hardest part, obviously, will be steaming the veggies. I'm thinking the sauna at the gym will work, but I've gotta be really sneaky or people might think I'm weird.

Anyway, if anyone could help me with the baby potatoes recipe, that would be greatly appreciated. I figured if I gave the details of the rest of the meal, it would help in deciding which spice(s) would work best.

__________________

__________________
AnthonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:03 AM   #2
Master Chef
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 9,875
Welcome to DC Anthony.

Gosh, by my count you have four things going on for the top of the stove. I've been cooking for a very long time and that's more than I would want to keep tract of for a company dinner, as all your attention will need to be at the stove and not with your girl. You're right, the sauna is a clever thought, but not likely to work.

I'd recommend no more than two dishes for the stove top myself.

For the starch with your meal, I'd do steamed rice instead of potatoes as it can be done without any attention.
__________________

__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:39 AM   #3
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,247
Actually, I saw a stove-top method for cooking potatoes on America's Test Kitchen just a week or two ago. Guess they knew you wanted to do baby reds. Here is the link to the recipe: Braised Red Potatoes with Lemon and Chives

You do need to sign up for access to the current year recipes, but it is free. Also, unless you have a paid membership you can access just the current year recipes. I suggest if you don't want to pay but you do like a recipe that you find and try you copy the recipe to however you save recipes. Remember to copy the actual recipe, not the link. They won't let you through the door on this one come next year.

As Kayelle pointed out, this is going to be a busy time at the stove while you're also trying to socialize with your date. If you still go ahead with your planned ingredients I would suggest you cook the carrots and broccoli in the same steamer basket. Use baby carrots, cut them in half lengthwise, and throw them into the basket for a minute or two before adding the broccoli. Have your butter sauce all ready so you can toss the steamed veggies into it as soon as they're done. The potatoes can do their thing while you fuss with the chicken. Oh, and if you both enjoy a little wine with dinner, I suggest you open the bottle when your guest first gets there, then try and wow her in the kitchen while you cook and chat and she sips and, hopefully, smiles. Good luck and be sure to report back to us on how things went.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:46 AM   #4
Assistant Cook
 
AnthonyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: On The Moon
Posts: 49
I've gotten good at multitasking in the kitchen. I can manage two dishes on the stove while holding a toddler and having a conversation with his mother and grandmother.

The chicken is easy, low and slow. Broccoli and carrots in the steamer is pretty simplistic and I can make the butter sauce in the pan before starting the chicken. I figure the part with the baby potatoes will be the difficult part, if I have to continuously stir it.

My ex has my rice steamer, so that's kinda out of the question, but I could nix the potatoes completely. I'm not too confident with cooking the baby's on the stovetop just yet anyway. The chicken and veggies should be alright by themselves.

Little bit of back story, she was eating one of those microwave meals at work and I was busting her chops. I jokingly said, you should let me cook for ya. Without missing a beat she started asking me what kind of stuff I cook. Unfortunately for me, she doesn't do spicy, so my cajun chicken and salmon (favorite dishes) are out of the question. But she said she was going to hold me to cooking her dinner.

The wine sounds like a good idea though. Any suggestions? I'm more a craft beer guy, don't know much about wine. But I do know, I'm not a fan of red.
__________________
AnthonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,787
You can steam the veggies ahead of time, plunge in ice water to stop them from cooking any further, drain, set aside, then nuke them for a minute just before serving. Restaurants do it all the time...

Why don't you go with a Potatoes Anna type recipe? I have a version that doesn't go in the oven and is done in a pan, low and slow....
https://www.google.ca/search?q=potat...h=541#imgdii=_
__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ View Post
Long story short, I have a dinner date coming up. I know what I want to make for the young lady, but I need a little assistance.

I'm looking to make peppered chicken in lemon butter, topped with fresh grated parm. With that, I'd like to make some baby potatoes and steamed broccoli and baby carrots in a butter sauce.

As far as the potatoes go, I must be searching wrong because I keep finding recipes to put them in the oven. I'm hoping to cook them on the stovetop. I figured on cutting them in half and sautéing them with something.

The hardest part, obviously, will be steaming the veggies. I'm thinking the sauna at the gym will work, but I've gotta be really sneaky or people might think I'm weird.

Anyway, if anyone could help me with the baby potatoes recipe, that would be greatly appreciated. I figured if I gave the details of the rest of the meal, it would help in deciding which spice(s) would work best.
Wow! This sounds good . I don't suppose you'd cancel the young lady and invite me instead?..... No?...... I didn't think so.

Cooking Goddess's recipe for potatoes would tie in nicely with your chicken as both have lemon juice so flavours wouldn't clash. The method isn't unduly involved and would fit round the other preparations. It's one I've saved for myself.

I'm now stuck with a mental picture of you sitting in the sauna (in swimming trunks, of course - I'm not that weird) with a bowl of veggies on your lap and trying to pretend they aren't there .

Hope the date turns out well. What's for pudding, sorry, dessert?
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ View Post
I've gotten good at multitasking in the kitchen. I can manage two dishes on the stove while holding a toddler and having a conversation with his mother and grandmother.

The chicken is easy, low and slow. Broccoli and carrots in the steamer is pretty simplistic and I can make the butter sauce in the pan before starting the chicken. I figure the part with the baby potatoes will be the difficult part, if I have to continuously stir it.

My ex has my rice steamer, so that's kinda out of the question, but I could nix the potatoes completely. I'm not too confident with cooking the baby's on the stovetop just yet anyway. The chicken and veggies should be alright by themselves.

Little bit of back story, she was eating one of those microwave meals at work and I was busting her chops. I jokingly said, you should let me cook for ya. Without missing a beat she started asking me what kind of stuff I cook. Unfortunately for me, she doesn't do spicy, so my cajun chicken and salmon (favorite dishes) are out of the question. But she said she was going to hold me to cooking her dinner.

The wine sounds like a good idea though. Any suggestions? I'm more a craft beer guy, don't know much about wine. But I do know, I'm not a fan of red.
Hmm, she has a good pick up technique. I must lay in a supply of microwave meals.......

White wine would be fine with the chicken but it will have to stand up to the parmesan and the garlic and lemon. I understand that buying wine in some parts of the States can be a bit complicated but if you can use a proper wine merchant tell him/her what you are cooking and ask advice. Might be a good idea if you could go with a price range in mind so the wine merchant has an area to work in. A good wine merchant will want you to be a return customer so shouldn't pull the wool over your eyes.
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ View Post
...Little bit of back story, she was eating one of those microwave meals at work and I was busting her chops. I jokingly said, you should let me cook for ya. Without missing a beat she started asking me what kind of stuff I cook. Unfortunately for me, she doesn't do spicy, so my cajun chicken and salmon (favorite dishes) are out of the question. But she said she was going to hold me to cooking her dinner.
Wow Anthony, she's good. She's very good. Wonder how long she's been stalking you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ View Post
The wine sounds like a good idea though. Any suggestions? I'm more a craft beer guy, don't know much about wine. But I do know, I'm not a fan of red.
Mad Cook's suggestion is a very good one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
...if you can use a proper wine merchant tell him/her what you are cooking and ask advice. Might be a good idea if you could go with a price range in mind so the wine merchant has an area to work in. A good wine merchant will want you to be a return customer so shouldn't pull the wool over your eyes.
I personally like to use a decent Chardonnay as a general white. Of course there are ALL kinds of nuances in Chardonnays, so that wine merchant can still be a lot of help.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
Busting her chops ? What does that mean ?

What's for pudding do tell
__________________
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Another classic, and very nice potato presentation is this - Potatoes Dauphinoise Recipe - Food.com - 84051

It can be done on the stove-top, as I have done it. Just do it over very low heat, in a covered pot.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________

__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cook, cooking, dinner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.