"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Dinner of appetizers

I've invited a couple in for next Sunday nite, and told them I'm making enough appetizers/Hor's dueves(sp) to make it a dinner. Therefore, my questions that need answers.....rather than sit around the coffee table as we do with drinks, etc. before dinner, we shall sit around the dining table...does that sound okay?. I'm going to serve: mock chopped liver, slices of pizza, cheeses and crackers, rattattoule(sp)with mini pita breads,,parmesan chicken wing drummettes,....Lots of wines, both red/white/rose and an apple tart and coffee. Does that sound like enough?...remember, it's all sort of finger type foods....the chopped liver will be on little toasts....oh yes, I think I shall also make some hummus.Also I think a couple of different kinds of breads.
Do you think this is enough?....too much?....thanks in advance for your comments

Old 08-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
Half Baked

Sounds like a lot for 4 people. You may need some help eating it all. For a small fee I could offer my services :)

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Master Chef

Site Moderator

That sounds great!! It does seem like a lot for four people but depending on the quantities you are cooking it might not be. Is this like an evening-long get together?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Well, actually, it sounds a little carb heavy. Maybe some stuffed cherry tomatoes or stuffed mushrooms, or proscuitto wrapped asparagus. A little color, for sure. Think of how this will all look on the table....
Old 08-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
Sounds like a lot for 4 people. You may need some help eating it all. For a small fee I could offer my services :)

yes, they will definitely be needing some additional help to tackle all those hors d'oeuvres. in the spirit of dc fellowship, not only will i apply myself to the task at hand, i will also waive the customary fee for my services....
Old 08-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
Head Chef

I don't think it's too much at all - And if for some reason it is, it's always better to have too much than too little.

I agree with SherryDAmore - Some stuffed mushrooms, stuffed cherry tomatoes, or another vegetable appetizer would be good.

I have a great recipe for Spinach-Stuffed Mushrooms (also has parmesan, etc. in the filling).
I also have a great recipe for Blue Cheese Broiled Tomatoes.
Will post the links if you're interested.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:50 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
I don't think it's too much at all - And if for some reason it is, it's always better to have too much than too little.

I agree with SherryDAmore - Some stuffed mushrooms, stuffed cherry tomatoes, or another vegetable appetizer would be good.

I have a great recipe for Spinach-Stuffed Mushrooms (also has parmesan, etc. in the filling).
I also have a great recipe for Blue Cheese Broiled Tomatoes.
Will post the links if you're interested.
PLEASE post the links. They sound wonderful.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
Sous Chef

I've posted an answer twice and nothing is coming on up there...however, last time....thanks everyone for you input. I agree, too much is better than too little....but too much can be replaced....teehee....so I shall leave off some things and use stuffed tomatoes and stuffed mushrooms instead. Good idea!!! Thanks.....now let's see if this come on.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I love the idea! We occasionally eat this way for a meal.

I usually distinguish hors d'oeuvres from appetizers. I think of an appetizer as a "starter" to the meal that goes with the theme and is eaten with utensils. Hors d'oeuvres, I think as more two/three-bite composed foods that you can eat with your fingers. You probably don't want to mix the two... either have food to be eaten with the fingers, or foods that will be eaten with utensils. Just a thought. Although, you will be sitting at a table where juggling plate and drink will not be an issue, you don't want them to have to either be cutting or forking food on their laps or having to decide how/where to place their utensils when they are eating the foods that should be eaten with fingers (chicken wings, pizza). I'm also not a big fan of food that requires a lot of napkins unless seated. I would just make them all utensil-friendly foods where they can have the plate on a table or have them finger-friendly foods where they can have the plate on their laps/rested on a coffee table.

I think it's a great idea, but the execution may need some more thought. Have fun!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
PLEASE post the links. They sound wonderful.
Here ya go:

SPINACH STUFFED MUSHROOMS
Olive Oyl's Treat For Popeye Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms) Recipe - Food.com - 11644

BLUE CHEESE BROILED TOMATOES (I bake them for a few minutes first, then broil):
Blue Cheese Broiled Tomatoes Recipe - Food.com - 43913

Tags
appetizers, dinner