Dinner of appetizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ella/TO

Sous Chef
I've invited a couple in for next Sunday nite, and told them I'm making enough appetizers/Hor's dueves(sp) to make it a dinner. Therefore, my questions that need answers.....rather than sit around the coffee table as we do with drinks, etc. before dinner, we shall sit around the dining table...does that sound okay?. I'm going to serve: mock chopped liver, slices of pizza, cheeses and crackers, rattattoule(sp)with mini pita breads,,parmesan chicken wing drummettes,....Lots of wines, both red/white/rose and an apple tart and coffee. Does that sound like enough?...remember, it's all sort of finger type foods....the chopped liver will be on little toasts....oh yes, I think I shall also make some hummus.Also I think a couple of different kinds of breads.:chef:
Do you think this is enough?....too much?....thanks in advance for your comments

That sounds great!! It does seem like a lot for four people but depending on the quantities you are cooking it might not be. Is this like an evening-long get together?

Well, actually, it sounds a little carb heavy. Maybe some stuffed cherry tomatoes or stuffed mushrooms, or proscuitto wrapped asparagus. A little color, for sure. Think of how this will all look on the table....

Sounds like a lot for 4 people. You may need some help eating it all. For a small fee I could offer my services :)

yes, they will definitely be needing some additional help to tackle all those hors d'oeuvres. in the spirit of dc fellowship, not only will i apply myself to the task at hand, i will also waive the customary fee for my services....;)

I don't think it's too much at all - And if for some reason it is, it's always better to have too much than too little.

I agree with SherryDAmore - Some stuffed mushrooms, stuffed cherry tomatoes, or another vegetable appetizer would be good.

I have a great recipe for Spinach-Stuffed Mushrooms (also has parmesan, etc. in the filling).
I also have a great recipe for Blue Cheese Broiled Tomatoes.
Will post the links if you're interested.

Last edited:
I don't think it's too much at all - And if for some reason it is, it's always better to have too much than too little.

I agree with SherryDAmore - Some stuffed mushrooms, stuffed cherry tomatoes, or another vegetable appetizer would be good.

I have a great recipe for Spinach-Stuffed Mushrooms (also has parmesan, etc. in the filling).
I also have a great recipe for Blue Cheese Broiled Tomatoes.
Will post the links if you're interested.
PLEASE post the links. They sound wonderful.

I've posted an answer twice and nothing is coming on up there...however, last time....thanks everyone for you input. I agree, too much is better than too little....but too much can be replaced....teehee....so I shall leave off some things and use stuffed tomatoes and stuffed mushrooms instead. Good idea!!! Thanks.....now let's see if this come on.

I love the idea! We occasionally eat this way for a meal.

I usually distinguish hors d'oeuvres from appetizers. I think of an appetizer as a "starter" to the meal that goes with the theme and is eaten with utensils. Hors d'oeuvres, I think as more two/three-bite composed foods that you can eat with your fingers. You probably don't want to mix the two... either have food to be eaten with the fingers, or foods that will be eaten with utensils. Just a thought. Although, you will be sitting at a table where juggling plate and drink will not be an issue, you don't want them to have to either be cutting or forking food on their laps or having to decide how/where to place their utensils when they are eating the foods that should be eaten with fingers (chicken wings, pizza). I'm also not a big fan of food that requires a lot of napkins unless seated. I would just make them all utensil-friendly foods where they can have the plate on a table or have them finger-friendly foods where they can have the plate on their laps/rested on a coffee table.

I think it's a great idea, but the execution may need some more thought. Have fun!!!

I often serve a variety of mini bread rolls with fillings for everyone to build their own sandwiches. Sliced cold cuts, sliced cheeses, baby leaf lettuces or salad greens, sliced cucumber, sliced tomato, pate's , sausages, preserves, mustards and whatever condiments.
Then serve brownies, mini pancakes, fruit skewers etc for dessert.

no plates on laps....we'll be sitting at the dining table.....won't need any knives, just some salad forks ....in case....Thanks

Sitting at the table is a great idea ella! Besides, it sure saves the carpet under the coffee table. ;) If you have a large Lazy Susan it sure would be a help!
You sound like a lovely hostess!

Kayelle, thankyou for the very nice words!!!....I love having company, and preparing.....BUT.......at my stage in life I need a maid to clean/clear up after me....LOL.....Mike tries to help, but, it just seems to make more work for me telling him do this, do that....teehee....anyway....I'll have to record what I finally made and served and tell everyone....

Doesn't sound like too much to me. This sounds better than having a three course meal which can be time consuming. At least you get to enjoy your guests company and be a host which i'm sure they'll appreciate.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom