Dinner party menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhazel1993

Assistant Cook
hi!

Ok, so i am wanting to try having a dinner party as i have just moved into to a new flat.

(for 4 adults)
What would you make?

Starter:
Fish Course:
Meat Course:
Dessert:
Appetisers/Nibbles:

Also recipes would be amazing!

Thankyou xx

Last edited:
What about the preferences of your guests? What's your budget? What's your level of cooking expertise? How much time do you have?

Hi Craig and Andy.

My guest will probably eat anyting. And i have have the whole day.

I'm English, but i think English food is pretty drab.

So maybe Indian/ Chinese

Anything really, i was wondering what other people would have if they had a party.

Sorry for being vague x

Last edited:
Aye, yeah, i was wanting to see what other DCMembers would cook for their guests.

I would quite like to try making something Indian :)

Not to belabor the point, but I make a variety of different things depending on who's coming. Osso buco and risotto, Boeuf Bourguignon, Lasagna, steaks on the grill, a variety of BBQ items. A mix of Asian dishes, roast beef with Lyonnaise potatoes and veggies, etc.

Hi jhazel, and welcome to DC.

Since you say your dinner guests will eat just about anything, what do YOU like to cook? And what are you best at cooking? Consider your menu options from there.

If you really want to make something different (like Indian), pick just once course that you can play with. The more new stuff you try to cook that day, no matter how much time you have to work with, the less relaxed you will be when your guests arrive. You want to be able to visit with them and not feel like the hired cook in your own kitchen.

Hi Craig and Andy.

My guest will probably eat anyting. And i have have the whole day.

I'm English, but i think English food is pretty drab.

So maybe Indian/ Chinese

Anything really, i was wondering what other people would have if they had a party.

Sorry for being vague x

Come on, be adventurous! Don't you Brits like things other than Indian and Chinese?:ROFLMAO:

How about some Cuban?

Appetizers:
Tostones con Mojo

Fried Green Plantains and Garlic Sauce: Tostones with Mojo Recipe : Food Network

Fish:
Shrimp Stew

Cuban Shrimp Stew Recipe - Food.com

Meat:

Ropa Vieja

astray recipes: Ropa vieja (old clothes)

Bistec de Palomilla

BISTEC DE PALOMILLA, Cuban Style Steak

Side Dish:

Moros y cristianos

How to make Cuban Black Beans and Rice - Moros y Cristianos - Simple, Easy-to-Make Cuban, Spanish, and Latin American Recipes with Photos

Dessert:

Flan

How to make Spanish Custard - Flan - Simple, Easy-to-Make Cuban, Spanish, and Latin American Recipes with Photos

Drink:

Mojito

Mojito Recipe : Food Network

I have made many different dinners for dinner parties and holidays, depending on different circumstances. It really would help to narrow down the parameters some :)

That said, here's a menu for an Indian meal I made, together with another member of the master gardener group I belong to. Keep in mind that it can be expensive upfront to start cooking Indian food, because it uses so many spices. You can buy blends, of course, but spices are more versatile. So it depends a bit on your budget and what's already in your pantry. And "Indian" food is like "American" food - the style and ingredients depend on which region you are talking about. But here are some ideas and some of these can be made in advance, so you're not doing everything that day.

Last edited:
How about a 'world's fair' of different meals from all over the world?

I'd do some Indian hors d'euvres/apps (lots of recipes online).

Mexican food -- DIY taco station with some seasoned ground beef, fish, etc. with some dishes of cheese, lettuce, olives, jalapenos, salsa. This would allow the guests to pick out their fave toppings, and be less work for you as you could do most of the prep ahead of time and then sit it on the counter. Have some Mexican beer to go with it -- Corona, Tecate, etc..

or American food -- meatloaf, mashed potatoes, asparagus or gourmet bacon burgers with fresh cut fries. But I am sure these meals are probably German or Polish. :) Have American beer to go with it like Budweiser, Coors Silver Bullet, etc..

French dessert

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom