"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 05-16-2013, 03:49 AM   #21
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Breakfast, lunch and supper. Dinner on Sunday and holidays.

While the rest of you have a living room, we have a parlor. Regional. But we all know what we mean when we say it. At least we are all in agreement on breakfast.
When I was growing up the living room was always called the front room.

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:17 AM   #22
Admiral of the Texas Navy
To me supper is a less formal occasion than dinner. Seems like supper also has the meaning of more modest portions.

Dinner feels like 3 or 4 courses served on a clothed table with fine china and silver. While supper seems like soup and sandwich with paper plate and plastic spoons.

Usage of the terms in have changed over the years. In high Victorian speech one would "dine" at dinner, "sup" at supper, and "lunch" at luncheon.

"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:06 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
Here in Australia it is

Supper (snacks a few hours after dinner/tea)
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:31 AM   #24
Executive Chef
Growing up it was breakfast, lunch .. then ... dinner if we ate at the table and supper if we didn't sit at the table.

Today .. it's dinner but once in a blue moon DH refers to it as supper .. I'm wondering how much of a regional thing it might be .. he's east coast and I am west coast.
MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
"sup" at supper, and "lunch" at luncheon.

is that where t'sup came from?
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #26
Executive Chef
Supper was what we had on Sunday about mid afternoon. Had to do with going to Lutherin church and Sunday school. I don't have that issue anymore so now its just dinner.
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #27
Master Chef
In my neck of the woods, it was breakfast, lunch and dinner, or supper. Dinner and supper were, and still are unsed interchangeably. Dinner is the big meal, unless I was at my Grandparents house. Breakfast was special. But it wasn't special unless I was staying overnight there. Normally, they had a piece of cantaloupe, or grapefruit half, with a poached egg or two. Sometimes my Grandma would eat a bowl of bread, milk, and sugar. When I was there, it was Sugar Smacks, either grapefruit, or cantaloupe, a poached egg from the poaching pan, and either pancakes, or waffles with sausage. And then, I was starving by lunchtime, and the size of kids two years younger than me. But I had enormous amounts of energy.

Even with that, supper has always been my favorite meal, and still is.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #28
Head Chef
Here in North West England, it's breakfast, dinner , tea, supper . Supper is optional and seen as a snack , like cheese on toast , later on in the evening. I never eat supper .
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #29
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Growing up, we had breakfast, dinner and supper. It wasn't until I moved to the Cleveland area that I heard people talking about the noon meal as lunch and the evening meal as dinner.
Because I'm not American neither English (I'm Catalan) I can't give my opinion, but I have the same problem that Jabbur. In Catalan we say "dinar" to the noon meal, and "sopar" to the evening meal. Then I become mad to translate "supper"... I never know what are you referring about! Somebody use "supper" like our "sopar" and some of you use "dinner"!
What a headache!

Anyway, I'm learning a lot! Thanks!

The cook dish is always the emptiest. The cook is never hungry.
Ireneu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
For me, supper is what you eat as a family at the kitchen table using the everyday dishes. Dinner is what you eat with the family around the dinning room table with the better china, cloth napkins and silverware. Your best manners were always required for the dining room.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote

dinner, supper