Dinner without going to the store

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommy00

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone. Just trying to get some advice. I know there is someone or somewhere I can seek help on making food with what you already have in the kitchen. Such as typing in what you have and then it telling you what you can make and how. Any suggestions?

Constance is right. This site is the best resource for things like that. I have seen sites like what you described, but they are always sponsored by specific companies (like Cambells or companies like that) and so all the recipes they show you have their products in them. I have never seen any decent recipes come out of those sites so I stopped looking at them.

GB said:
Constance is right. This site is the best resource for things like that. I have seen sites like what you described, but they are always sponsored by specific companies (like Cambells or companies like that) and so all the recipes they show you have their products in them. I have never seen any decent recipes come out of those sites so I stopped looking at them.

gb, that's like the free cookbooks they give out at costco. all of the recipes are pre-made, or partially pre-made foods for sale at costco. it shouldn't be a cookbook, but rather "how to reheat our stuff" book.

i agree that we be the best. if you give us your ingredients, we'll have a recipe for you. often with extra tips and techniques, and maybe a story or two.
what's more, you can go back and ask particular questions of the members who've answered your query. you can't do that with a "plug in" recipe finder.

You know, I have been thinking about making an application that memorizes my favorite recipes and pulls out the ones that best match what is in my fridge! If I ever get it done, I'll let you guys use it :)

biev said:
You know, I have been thinking about making an application that memorizes my favorite recipes and pulls out the ones that best match what is in my fridge! If I ever get it done, I'll let you guys use it :)

They actually already have that. I'm not sure who runs it. They have a whole kitchen set up in one of their facilities somewhere. When you buy food you tag it with a sensor, so the computer knows exactly what is on hand in the kitchen. It has a computer screen built into the counter, so you can look up recipes and make them right there, and the computer tells you if you have everything you need. It’s pretty awesome. It does a ton more too.

Bucky, I have one of those Costco books you're talking about. I love looking at it! Though I have to admit I have never "made" anything from it. Somehow my Dad got a hold of one and since he'd never use it, I snatched it away.

I think those freebie cook books are great for inspiration or brainstorming what you want to make, how to use up extra stuff you have on hand. I never use the recommended specific product, don't know many who do get the exact stuff. Usually most go for the generic or some home made version of what the book says. :)

My cookbook software does that (living cookbook/diet pro). Cookbook sites may also have ingredient searches. I know that allrecipes.com does. Although, I've never used either.

I agree with the above posters. A database isn't going to beat human discourse in this instance.

I don't know about "typing" in what you have & getting a magic answer. But I do think one should be able to make nearly a week's worth of meals with what's in the pantry, fridge, & freezer. It's all in the planning.

I always have quite a few boxes of different types of pasta on hand, along with crushed & diced tomatoes, jarred tomato sauces, etc. Also wouldn't be without a variety of canned beans. Also always have a full spice inventory, especially things necessary for an Asian stirfry.

Always have basic cheeses like cheddar & swiss in the fridge, along with salad fixings & fresh vegetables that last well, like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, etc.

With a freezer full of individually frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts; ground turkey; turkey/chicken sausages, raviolis, etc., if I can't get to the store for a few days, I can certainly make quite a number of different dishes without feeling deprived.

We're leaving for the weekend, so the last couple days have been a count down to an empty fridge. Last night I made fried rice with every vegetable I had left in the crisper.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom