"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-16-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Dinner without going to the store

Hi everyone. Just trying to get some advice. I know there is someone or somewhere I can seek help on making food with what you already have in the kitchen. Such as typing in what you have and then it telling you what you can make and how. Any suggestions?

Old 04-16-2006, 06:46 PM   #2
Master Chef

You can do it here...just ask, and we are here to help!

Old 04-16-2006, 06:55 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Constance is right. This site is the best resource for things like that. I have seen sites like what you described, but they are always sponsored by specific companies (like Cambells or companies like that) and so all the recipes they show you have their products in them. I have never seen any decent recipes come out of those sites so I stopped looking at them.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:42 PM   #4
Executive Chef

What ingredients do you have on hand? We can help!
Old 04-17-2006, 12:46 AM   #5
Sous Chef

We can build you a dinner, we have the technology. We can make it bigger, stronger...faster?
Old 04-17-2006, 12:57 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Constance is right. This site is the best resource for things like that. I have seen sites like what you described, but they are always sponsored by specific companies (like Cambells or companies like that) and so all the recipes they show you have their products in them. I have never seen any decent recipes come out of those sites so I stopped looking at them.
gb, that's like the free cookbooks they give out at costco. all of the recipes are pre-made, or partially pre-made foods for sale at costco. it shouldn't be a cookbook, but rather "how to reheat our stuff" book.

i agree that we be the best. if you give us your ingredients, we'll have a recipe for you. often with extra tips and techniques, and maybe a story or two.
what's more, you can go back and ask particular questions of the members who've answered your query. you can't do that with a "plug in" recipe finder.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:46 AM   #7
Senior Cook

You know, I have been thinking about making an application that memorizes my favorite recipes and pulls out the ones that best match what is in my fridge! If I ever get it done, I'll let you guys use it
Old 04-28-2006, 10:46 AM   #8
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by biev
You know, I have been thinking about making an application that memorizes my favorite recipes and pulls out the ones that best match what is in my fridge! If I ever get it done, I'll let you guys use it
They actually already have that. I'm not sure who runs it. They have a whole kitchen set up in one of their facilities somewhere. When you buy food you tag it with a sensor, so the computer knows exactly what is on hand in the kitchen. It has a computer screen built into the counter, so you can look up recipes and make them right there, and the computer tells you if you have everything you need. Its pretty awesome. It does a ton more too.
Old 04-28-2006, 04:06 PM   #9
Senior Cook

That's a little overkill, isn't it?
Old 04-28-2006, 05:01 PM   #10
Head Chef

Bucky, I have one of those Costco books you're talking about. I love looking at it! Though I have to admit I have never "made" anything from it. Somehow my Dad got a hold of one and since he'd never use it, I snatched it away.

I think those freebie cook books are great for inspiration or brainstorming what you want to make, how to use up extra stuff you have on hand. I never use the recommended specific product, don't know many who do get the exact stuff. Usually most go for the generic or some home made version of what the book says. :-)