"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I find it best to find the most flattering thing that you can say about the dish. I have a friend that cooks out of cans and boxes almost exclusively, Sandra Lee style. This isn't my style and I don't care for the flavor of many prepared foods, but there isn't really anything gained by being rude, but sometimes feelings can be hurt by being honest.

She often emails the "recipes" to me, we both enjoy preparing food although in very different ways, so I just say a simple "thank you" for the recipes.
That is the nice approach to the issue of the interesting meals' recipes. Who is Sandra Lee?

~Cat

Old 09-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post

That is the nice approach to the issue of the interesting meals' recipes. Who is Sandra Lee?

~Cat
She hosts a food show called "Semi Home Made". She uses box mixes and frozen stuff to augment her recipes, and she loves to do tablescapes and decorations in different themes and colors. http://www.semihomemade.com/

Old 09-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I think it depends on how well you know her. I have friends who would appreciate it if I said "It's absolutely disgusting" and would probably laugh but I have other friends who would be really upset.

Probably if I was new to the country and was a little bit unsure, I would probably be as non-committal as possible.

In all cultures food is very important and the offering of food has underlying currents. In some countries to refuse an offer of food is to mortally insult the person offering it, in others it's considered bad manners to comment either positively or negatively on what you are eating.... perhaps you could claim that's part of the culture of the country of your birth.

Unless she actually asked how she could improve it I don't think I would start in on the cookery lesson. I wouldn't mind if you did it to me but with a beginner it might be better left unsaid.

There again, I'm English and sometimes there are differences in cultural nuances even between Americans and us so I might not be the best person to advise on good manners on your side of the pond.
You are correct where you say in all cultures food is very important and the offering of food has underlying currents. I could be in the truth to say I am of my culture.

That is the good point: If she does ask. Then perhaps I could be nice and polite and give her the praise for to try this and to share the dish. Then I could give her the little advice but end the conversation with the positive of her efforts to be cooking.

Thank you.

~Cat
Old 09-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
... I got 10 minutes of how "Ha ha, and you think you don't like Miracle Whip. Tuna salad is so much better with Miracle Whip than with mayo. etc., etc., blah blah blah..."...
She set out to trick you. All bets are off. I would have said I knew right away that she had subbed MW even though she knew you didn't like it and that you decided not to make an issue of it.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
I wouldn't volunteer the information that I thought it was terrible, but would tell the truth if asked. You can always say something like it isn't your taste in food.

A friend once fed me when I was having food cravings while I was pregnant. The tuna salad sandwich wasn't awful, but it wasn't very good. I could tell right off the bat that she hadn't used real mayonnaise, but had used Miracle Whip. I told her it was good. I got 10 minutes of how "Ha ha, and you think you don't like Miracle Whip. Tuna salad is so much better with Miracle Whip than with mayo. etc., etc., blah blah blah..." I couldn't even contradict her because that would be admitting that I had lied. I learned my lesson. I should have just said thank you.
When I lived in rural NC for a short time it was common to go into a restaurant or sandwich shop and what was advertised as mayo was often Miracle Whip. This kind of ticked me off, because it would essentially ruin the sandwich for me, at least be honest and I can choose to omit it.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #16
Proud American

Quote:
I wouldn't volunteer the information that I thought it was terrible, but would tell the truth if asked. You can always say something like it isn't your taste in food.

A friend once fed me when I was having food cravings while I was pregnant. The tuna salad sandwich wasn't awful, but it wasn't very good. I could tell right off the bat that she hadn't used real mayonnaise, but had used Miracle Whip. I told her it was good. I got 10 minutes of how "Ha ha, and you think you don't like Miracle Whip. Tuna salad is so much better with Miracle Whip than with mayo. etc., etc., blah blah blah..." I couldn't even contradict her because that would be admitting that I had lied. I learned my lesson. I should have just said thank you.
Oh I see. Now you have given me the other perception. If a lie is being told, it can not be taken back.

I prefer the real mayonnaise as well. I'm sorry you got the "blah blah blah..." about the Miracle Whip. A thought came to me right now. You were pregnant during this issue? My mother told me that I had given her the gas when she carried me. One minute into the lecture of the Miracle Whip (which is no miracle) you could have said, "Oh excuse me. I am gassy and must use the restroom." Then you stay in the restroom for several minutes. When you come out, you would change the subject.

Thank you for this. I need to be cautious about the lies.

~Cat
Old 09-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #17
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
She hosts a food show called "Semi Home Made". She uses box mixes and frozen stuff to augment her recipes, and she loves to do tablescapes and decorations in different themes and colors. Sandra Lee Sandra Lee semi-homemade Keep It Simple,Keep It Smart,Keep It Semi-Homemade
I see. I will look at the link. Thank you!

~Cat
Old 09-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #18
Proud American

Quote:
When I lived in rural NC for a short time it was common to go into a restaurant or sandwich shop and what was advertised as mayo was often Miracle Whip. This kind of ticked me off, because it would essentially ruin the sandwich for me, at least be honest and I can choose to omit it.
Yes it is common for to use the Miracle Whip. It is not a very good taste.

~Cat
Old 09-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
If there is "mayo" in some food, say a BLT, in a resto, I always ask if it's mayo or MW, or other "salad dressing". Then, if what I get isn't mayo, I send it back.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #20
Head Chef

You do not need to lie. I might say something like "I really prefer that dish you made last week." Or you could just redirect the conversation. "Where did you say you bought that product?"

Tags
dinner