Dinners In The Boxes; A Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you, taxlady and joesfolk. I never ask, taxlady. I am an immigrant and a new citizen to this beautiful country and I do not wish to seem as the ungrateful immigrant. If I am given instead of the milk and I get the orange juice, I say nothing and give the thanks for what I am given to God before the meal. But it is good to get what one wants as in the matter of the mayonnaise. You should get what you desire in all things as I hope you do. It is just not proper for me to do so.
And joesfolk, thank you for the suggestions. Those are the very good ideas.
Thank you both.

~Cat

If you are in a restaurant, you are paying for the food. If you ask for milk and they bring you orange juice, just politely say that you asked for milk. You shouldn't have to accept anything other than what you asked for in a resto. If they are out of milk and ask you if orange juice would be okay, that's different. You can say yes or no. The only thing I can think of that would be "wrong" to do in a case like that, would be to be so insist or start screaming that you want milk. I have seen people do that and everyone looks at them as though they are ridiculous and childish.

If you are in a restaurant, you are paying for the food. If you ask for milk and they bring you orange juice, just politely say that you asked for milk. You shouldn't have to accept anything other than what you asked for in a resto. If they are out of milk and ask you if orange juice would be okay, that's different. You can say yes or no. The only thing I can think of that would be "wrong" to do in a case like that, would be to be so insist or start screaming that you want milk. I have seen people do that and everyone looks at them as though they are ridiculous and childish.

I have seen the ones who do become angry as well. You have brought up the good point, and perhaps you are right. I will consider your advice very closely should it occur again.
Thank you, taxlady.

~Cat

A classmate brought in one of the Homestyle Bake dinners in the boxes last week. She brought the samples for some of us to try and I was one of the unfortunates.

It was terrible!....So, I said it was the very interesting dish. They seem to believe I liked it, so I let it go that way for the present......

"Interesting" is the word profession chefs use when they are not liking what they are tasting. It's non-committal but doesn't insult.

It sounds like your classmate came right out and told you it was from a box. Since you like to cook from scratch you could always tell her the taste is different to you since you usually prepare things without the box, using fresh ingredients. Who knows, she might ask you to give her advise and help. Or she might keep bringing in box stuff and you need to put on a happy face. For the sake of your tastebuds I hope she asks for help.

"Interesting" is the word profession chefs use when they are not liking what they are tasting. It's non-committal but doesn't insult.

It sounds like your classmate came right out and told you it was from a box. Since you like to cook from scratch you could always tell her the taste is different to you since you usually prepare things without the box, using fresh ingredients. Who knows, she might ask you to give her advise and help. Or she might keep bringing in box stuff and you need to put on a happy face. For the sake of your tastebuds I hope she asks for help.

Thank you. Perhaps we shall see what occurs until she does ask for the advice. I believe my tastebuds retreated into somewhere into the sinuses when I ate my portion.

Let us see how this issue unfolds, and I will post any of the future collisions with her cooking.

~Cat

You gave a good answer.... it was a very interesting dish. That in no way chastises the cook. You can't be expected to love every dish created by every cook since they surely would not love every dish you prepared. If keeping the peace is the supreme outcome, you might find an ingredient in the dish that you are "sensitive" to and can't eat, declining future offers. Sensitivity can be an allergic reaction or recoiling taste buds.

You gave a good answer.... it was a very interesting dish. That in no way chastises the cook. You can't be expected to love every dish created by every cook since they surely would not love every dish you prepared. If keeping the peace is the supreme outcome, you might find an ingredient in the dish that you are "sensitive" to and can't eat, declining future offers. Sensitivity can be an allergic reaction or recoiling taste buds.

Thank you, Oldvine. I do not desire to quarrel with anyone.

~Cat

A good excuse to use, especially with boxed dinners, is there is too much salt for your liking.

That is the certain truth. It was overcoming with the tomato sauce and the salt. That is a good idea also, PrincessFiona60.
Thank you!

~Cat

I don't cook much for other people, other than holiday dinners for my family, because I'm really not a very good cook. There are some things I do make that are very good, but I never learned to cook fancy meals. Since my husband is a picky eater, I tend to just cook what he likes. He has a good answer to someone who gives you something you don't like. He told me, if I don't tell you something doesn't taste good, you'll keep making it for me. So he tells me when he doesn't like something, and I have learned not to get hurt feelings over it. My extended family always tells me how good my holiday dinners are, mainly because they are thankful that I take on the responsibility of it and they don't have to cook. LOL

So, if you don't tell your friend that you didn't like what she brought you, she might start making it for you all the time!!! Yikes!!

I don't cook much for other people, other than holiday dinners for my family, because I'm really not a very good cook. There are some things I do make that are very good, but I never learned to cook fancy meals. Since my husband is a picky eater, I tend to just cook what he likes. He has a good answer to someone who gives you something you don't like. He told me, if I don't tell you something doesn't taste good, you'll keep making it for me. So he tells me when he doesn't like something, and I have learned not to get hurt feelings over it. My extended family always tells me how good my holiday dinners are, mainly because they are thankful that I take on the responsibility of it and they don't have to cook. LOL

So, if you don't tell your friend that you didn't like what she brought you, she might start making it for you all the time!!! Yikes!!

Oh dear. This could happen. Perhaps if she speaks about her meal I could lend a suggestion of cooking from the fresh ingredients?

I discovered that she and her family eat most of the meals from boxes. She said she would try to cook the Hamburger Helper the next time. I had the Hamburger Helper once at a classmate's home. It was heavy on my stomach and there was little flavor in it.

~Cat

I tell people that I have to see all the ingredients and most of the boxed stuff has ingredients I won't eat. If it's something I'm not supposed to have e.g., soy, sweet potato, canned tomatoes, I tell them that I'm not supposed to eat that. If it's yucky sounding food additives, I say that I don't eat those. But, I'm known as an opinionated loud mouth and if people can't handle that, too bad. :LOL:

I tell people that I have to see all the ingredients and most of the boxed stuff has ingredients I won't eat. If it's something I'm not supposed to have e.g., soy, sweet potato, canned tomatoes, I tell them that I'm not supposed to eat that. If it's yucky sounding food additives, I say that I don't eat those. But, I'm known as an opinionated loud mouth and if people can't handle that, too bad. :LOL:

I like the opinionated loud mouth. The founding fathers of America were the opinionated loud mouths. They got the job done to form my new country.

You cannot have sweet potatoes? May I ask why?

~Cat

I like the opinionated loud mouth. The founding fathers of America were the opinionated loud mouths. They got the job done to form my new country.

You cannot have sweet potatoes? May I ask why?

~Cat
They are estrogenic. I'm not supposed to have any estrogenic foods. Because of a type of visual migraine that I get I am at elevated risk of having a stroke in my eye, especially if I eat estrogenic foods. :ohmy:

I have a number of sensitivities to dyes and chemicals, so I too always have to read the ingredients. Hamburger Helper? Really? I don't think I've eaten that since the '70s when my mother would make it.

My neighbor used to complain about all of them in the family having some sort of allergy or medical issue...but she still used packaged foods and shortcuts. I told her if they wanted to eat stuff like Hamburger Helper she could help her family by measuring out the ingredients from her own spice cabinet and well-stocked pantry. She preferred the convenience. Whatever.

But you guys are all poor college students, right? Maybe you could appeal to the cost-effectiveness of making the meal from scratch. I searched for "homemade hamburger helper" and got a ton of hits. Skimmed over this one and it looks pretty simple for even a very novice cook. Hope this idea helps her...and you! Homemade Hamburger Helper Recipe Skillet Dinner | Divas Can Cook

Too salty and generally taste fake to me. Mainly it's the salt though. I've purchased some that almost made me gag from all the salt.

Some people do not detect the high amount of salts in those boxed meals. I have a sister who lives on boxed meals and even adds salt to hers. When she eats my food she says it taste okay but she prefers her own cooking.

Too each their own !

I have a number of sensitivities to dyes and chemicals, so I too always have to read the ingredients. Hamburger Helper? Really? I don't think I've eaten that since the '70s when my mother would make it.

I don't mean to be too nosey, but what are your sensitivities to dyes? I ask, because my step-son asked us not to give his son anything with dyes. He has not been diagnosed with anything, but they notice he is more out of control when he eats foods with dyes. He's 5. They don't eat much processed foods, but he likes gummy worms and pop tarts and they have quit giving them to him. I found fruit roll ups and popsicles that do not contain dye.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom