Dinnerware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncage1974

Senior Cook
Hi everyone. I need a new dinnerware set. I love the look of stoneware but the last set i got chipped so easily. Now almost every piece i have are chipped. Is this true with all stoneware or just some? How do you determine which stoneware is good and which is bad? I know corelle is good and very chip resistant i just couldn't find anything i was "really" happy with in the way of look. I did find this set which is ok:
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/ultimatechefstore_1930_356017259
I found a set at walmart that i liked for about $30 for the set. Its made by hometrends i think. So question is are all stoneware very fragile and will chip very easily? I imagine anything with "hand painted" on it would be a bad idea too. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
ncage

We got ourselves the set in your link last month. Corelle is great for durability. Almost never chips. Before this set, we had another set of Corelle that was 12-15 years old.

yep - stoneware has a way of chipping often! I have some plates & bowls I use on various occassions, but they aren't going to last much longer.
As for corelle, my mom had a set from around the mid 70s which she finally gave to the charity store about 4 years ago - only one piece had broken in all those years!
I got a set when my kids were very young and beginning to help with the dishes. It's lasted 10 years so far, and even though I'd like another nicer set, it's still in perfect condition. Also, it's a lot lighter weight than stoneware.

We bought s stoneware baking tray from a company called Pampered Chef. The products are pricey but well worth the money. We wouldn't be without it now. My wife made a wonderful baked ziti on Christmas day and it came out so good with that tray.

NYBrit said:
We bought s stoneware baking tray from a company called Pampered Chef. The products are pricey but well worth the money. We wouldn't be without it now. My wife made a wonderful baked ziti on Christmas day and it came out so good with that tray.

I think you are talking about the baking stones, whether it's a pizza stone, or a lasagna size stone, or a 9 x 9 stone. I also love the stones - especially the deep dish pie stones!!!!!!! I have about 15 - 18 PC stones - I'm a true stone junkie! Yes, they are pricey but they are thick!

As for Corelle, I've had some for over 30 years with no problems. One of the things I like about the newer Corelle is that many of the pieces can be mixed and matched to make a change in look at the table. Also, as kjath said, it's lighter in weight, which is also nice. I like it, too, because it can be used in the microwave without any ill effects. Another thing that is beneficial is that some of the plates can serve as lids for the bowls. That's especially great for microwave cooking. I look for the basic "white" at yard sales, thrift stores, etc. to supplement my collection.

Don't get me wrong. I have many other sets of dishes (about 4 sets). Actually, I could be called a dishoholic but, for everyday use, I prefer the Corelle. Just my opnion.

Kitchenelf I think you're right. Sorry, I'm not so experienced at cooking to know the difference lol. But yes the stone is excellent and produces tasty dishes. We wouldn't be without one now!

I've had both stoneware and corelle, prefer corelle - like the lighter weight. Mine are plain white and everything served looks great !

Stoneware and pottery are very prone to chipping because they are soft and their glazes are not fired at a high temp (think plant pots), but truth be told, if you are careful, it doesn't have to be chipped. I love the look of my Stangl pottery, have used it for decades and it isn't chipped.
Some stoneware, like salt glazed is harder.
For durability beyond a Corelle type of plate, china is very durable. It is a form of porcelain (a firing process for the pottery base of dinnerware). Maybe shop at a store like Tuesday Morning or TJMaxx for some china at a discount.
But it is a form of glass, and if not handled well, will chip and/or break.

Corelle used to be very thin and cheap looking, never particularly 'elegant' back in the day (whenever THAT was :ermm:)... Now they have quite a nice range of dinnerware, including a range they call Hearthstone which, I believe, has that signature Corelle toughness. Check their website.

That said, I have a beautiful Denby stoneware set which has lasted me many, many years. I think some stoneware is more dense than others.

Back
Top Bottom