"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 12-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Sous Chef
Disappointed, should I say something?

A new privately owned small grocer opened up just down the street from us. Their shelves are filled mostly with cool ethnic foods from around the world. Their produce section has a rotating selection of fruits and veggies that are outside of the norm here, as well as a few basics like tomatoes, cucumbers, bananas, etc. I love trying new things there and their freshly-made pitas are to die for, but I have been wary of their meat section. They have a in-house butcher who butchers whole animals, so they sell a lot of cuts (and parts) that you just don't see at the supermarkets around here. The problem is, their produce isn't always the freshest. I usually only buy it if I'll use it the same day and even so, there have definitely been a few times that I was surprised to see badly overripe items (on the verge of spoiling) still on the shelves. This makes me a bit nervous about trying their meat.

I bought some lamb ribs once when they first opened, before the produce had had time to over-ripen. They were wonderful. Yesterday I bought an in-store packaged container of pepperoni. I opened it today and it was rancid. It was pretty bad. The stuff on the outside looked fine, but I could smell it as soon as I opened it and the pieces in the middle were slimy (yes, I poked around, I'm like that.) I'm not sure what I should do. Should I call? Should I bring it back to show them? I don't really care about getting my money back, so initially I was just going to toss it and avoid their meat, but I really like this place. The problem is, the owner doesn't speak incredible English. I'm worried that he'll misunderstand and think I'm just trying to get my money back. Should I just call? Any opinions?

Also, should I just avoid their meats from now on? I have a nose, so of course I can tell when meat is fully spoiled, like this was, but I don't really know how to tell if it's just plain old, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea to buy meat there. It'll be a shame if I can't, because they're the only place I've found so far that sells things like lamb ribs and goat. I was also hoping to get some good soup bones. If it's not safe, it's definitely not worth it, but don't these guys have to satisfy the same health inspectors that everyone else does? Thanks in advance and sorry about the novel of a post!

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
First of all, I wouldn't shop there any more.
Second, speak to the owner and judge from his reaction if he actually cares or just brushes you off. If the latter, contact the Board of Health. He could make countless people ill or worse.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Master Chef
Bring it back!

Maybe they aren't aware of it. Then they'll be glad.

If they are aware of it then they are snagged. And hopefully will change their ways.
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
I agree, take it back. Show it to the owner. Stores won't stay in business long if they make their customers sick. This may need to be pointed out to the owner, he may be clueless. Might not hurt to call the health inspector if you aren't happy with the response.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Executive Chef
Agreed ... let them know. Perhaps they are unaware. If they seem indifferent then that's a different story and the other route might be necessary - health department.

And while you are there you might ask if they know about the produce.

I would be cautious in further purchases .. just be careful and see how they respond. You may be the only person who tells them ... although it seems they should know on their own.
MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Sous Chef
I would give them an opportunity to make good. Notify the owner and express your concern and see what the reaction is. If they just opened they may not be up to speed yet on things. They need to know what their suppliers are bringing them and weed out the bad ones. I would not, however, buy meat from them that you can't smell and touch in the store. When it comes to meat, proceed with extreme prejudice. =0)
mmyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
A few heads may need to roll if they have a produce manager and a meat stocker who are incompetent or clueless.....
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
Head Chef
I would not trust the store--and call the Boared of Health.
salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
Listen to the group. After all it is your money and your health. They need to be made aware of this, it makes me gag just to think about this happening.
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
In agree, you shouls say something to the owner, think of how many people you could be helping from getting sick.

simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote