"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
Cook

Question Disappointed w/ACTIVATED CHARCOAL in replace of charcoal rub spice

I LOVE the charcoal cooking smell, but I DON"T like the fuss using a grill. I like anything that's roasted too. Thus, I use a compact rotisserie machine. It does an OK job, yet I wanted to find the CHARCOAL RUB spice. I thought I could have my rotisseries with slight degree of charcoal flavor. I searched online, and found people mentioning that there used to be a spice called charcoal rub on the market but not anymore. Some even suggested to use "activated charcoal" and mix with your own spices, to avoid MSG or other additives in the commercial barbecue rubs.

OK,,so I bought the activated charcoal at GNC and rub the fine powdery charcoal on the meat. However, the charcoal produced absolutely no smell during cooking or done cooking. That was the name of it "ACTIVATED CHARCOAL." How can charcoal not produce any charcoal when it's cooked?

Did I use the right thing???

Thanks

Old 10-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chueh View Post
I LOVE the charcoal cooking smell, but I DON"T like the fuss using a grill. I like anything that's roasted too. Thus, I use a compact rotisserie machine. It does an OK job, yet I wanted to find the CHARCOAL RUB spice. I thought I could have my rotisseries with slight degree of charcoal flavor. I searched online, and found people mentioning that there used to be a spice called charcoal rub on the market but not anymore. Some even suggested to use "activated charcoal" and mix with your own spices, to avoid MSG or other additives in the commercial barbecue rubs.

OK,,so I bought the activated charcoal at GNC and rub the fine powdery charcoal on the meat. However, the charcoal produced absolutely no smell during cooking or done cooking. That was the name of it "ACTIVATED CHARCOAL." How can charcoal not produce any charcoal when it's cooked?

Did I use the right thing???

Thanks

Charcoal doesn't burn at meat roasting temps. Consider using a little Liquid Smoke.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Cook

I see...Thanks
Old 10-18-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Cook

Andy is quite right, of course, but the situation is worse than that for anyone wanting an odor from activated carbon/charcoal. Activated carbon is amazingly porous, and one of its functions is to trap odors through adsorption (not the same as absorption), so it would have the opposite of the effect that you were looking for.
Cheers.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Cook

Yeah...How can I expect to get the flavor without putting effort to grill food, clean the equipment and tools, and all the fuss!!!!!!

But the information I got from those people who suggest to use activated charcoal to get the flavor obviously have never done that themselves.....
Old 10-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
Head Chef

Well, I don't think there's any doubt someone was wildly guessing out of the pathological compulsion you sometimes see to answer when you don't know anything.

The smoke flavor is going to have be get there by applying it directly, the liquid smoke in marinade, or one of the stovetop smokers.

You can buy smoked spices. I have some smoke paprika that's really SMOKED. My grocery had some bulk smoked salt from Mexico that was powerfully smoked, very strong. I don't know this company, but they have a variety of smoked spices, including some smoked grill rub. .

Smoked Spices - Products | Smoke Fine Foods

And King Kooker makes smoked hickory rub, smoked chicken rub, and smoked fish rub. Never used them myself.

Smoking and Grilling Seasonings : King Kooker, Outdoor Cooking Products

As to the indoor smokers, I'll tell you right off, I haven't used one of those. But from what I read in the user reviews, they work and don't stink up the house.

This is a common type:

Camerons Products Stainless Steel Stovetop Smoker: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

There's also a kettle type:

Nordic Ware 365 Indoor/Outdoor Kettle Smoker: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

I don't see any user reviews for the kettle type, but the first type is said to be tight and doesn't leak smoke and doesn't end up with smoke in the house. They are also used by first smoking on the range top and then finishing in the oven. I suspect that give the smoke time to settle some. Most users say it's pretty much what they get on the outdoor grill. I do suspect they had good stove vent systems, though.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
Cook

Wow, great info, GLC. Thank you. I feel like a great chef already by reading the info you provided, LOL..... but seriously, I appreciate your putting the time to post the info for me