"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-02-2005, 11:25 AM   #11
Head Chef

Thank you,Michael :)

Old 03-02-2005, 04:56 PM   #12
Certified Executive Chef

Re: Discarding used oil/fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
In the past I have put it into an empty tin can and froze it and then tossed the frozen oil. What have you done? Any suggestions?
htc, I am trying to understand this, why freeze? When you put it in the garbage/trash it will just thaw and be fluid again. Where I live we recycle everything (I hear Oregon leads the nation for recycling) so I do not have cans to use, but when unwanted oils/grease cools I just pour into the trash and it is absorbed by whatever trash is in there. As I do not deep fry foods and use very little oil when I saute, I do not have much oils to discard.

Old 03-02-2005, 05:07 PM   #13
Head Chef

Hi Norg, I'm in Oregon as well and know what you mean about the recycling. I recyle everything as well, but on the rare occassion I have used oil, I try to find something to put it in.

Call me crazy, but the idea of putting it straight into my trash doesn't always sit well with me. I know it melts once in the landfill, but still...for several reasons: I'm afraid somehow there will be a hole in my garbage bag (big clean up mess I wouldn't look foward to) and it'll leak. Also the smell of old grease stays in my little apartment for a long time, so I try to get rid of it as soon as I can. And it just somehow seems "cleaner" to me, though it probably isn't.

I know it makes no sense...even as I type this I see the holes in my logic, but still can't help it. :)

p.s. to add to this kind of absurdity, sometimes I don't use my garbage disposal and go out of my way to take stuff out of it so I don't "over use" it. Makes no sense, but it's another one of my quirks.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:51 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

The container is important, norge. Otherwise you are attracting all sorts of critters besides worms to crawl into the garbage can to get at that lovely grease. Frozen "canned" fat is not likely to thaw completely before the garbage truck gets there.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:22 PM   #15
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
Hi Norg, I'm in Oregon as well and know what you mean about the recycling. I recyle everything as well, but on the rare occassion I have used oil, I try to find something to put it in.

I know it makes no sense...even as I type this I see the holes in my logic, but still can't help it. :)

p.s. to add to this kind of absurdity, sometimes I don't use my garbage disposal and go out of my way to take stuff out of it so I don't "over use" it. Makes no sense, but it's another one of my quirks.
hi htc, I do not have a garbage disposal, so do not have much choice. Fortunately I do not have much waste oil, only if I buy a pound of bacon which is not real often. Where in Oregon?? I am in Eugene. Alix's idea of putting it out for the birds is a good idea, we used to put suet out in the winter along with the bird seed, think I will do that next winter in my herb garden.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:20 PM   #16
Head Chef

Norg, I'm in Portland. I went to school for a couple years at UofO. Loved it there. :) My only complaint: no good Asian restaurants or Asian grocery stores, specifically Chinese/Vietnamse. Loved my time down there though.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:28 PM   #17
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
Norg, I'm in Portland. I went to school for a couple years at UofO. Loved it there. :) My only complaint: no good Asian restaurants or Asian grocery stores, specifically Chinese/Vietnamse. Loved my time down there though.
htc, you should see it now. There is an Asian restaurant in nearly every block, new one just opened Sweet Basil and it is wonderful, on Pearl just above Broadway, up from Zenon. Two new, albiet small, Asian markets opened in the last year.