Dish or cooking method.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradger

Assistant Cook
I have been thinking a lot about the number of cooking methods that are mistaken for dishes.
for example
stir fry: is just a hot and fast way of cooking.
Risotto, i am a little less clear on this one.
so i'm coming he to see how many others their are and some clarification with the risotto one.

Risotto is Italian for rice. It's made with a short grain rice that's more starchy so it creates it own sauce if you cook it in the usual way for a risotto dish.

Yes, stir-fry is a cooking method, as are stew are braise. However, in cooking shorthand, they have become a general descriptive for a dish. "I did a quick stir-fry with chicken and veggies." "We had stew for dinner." Etc.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

BBQ is a method, but we also sometimes say we had bbq ribs or bbq chicken, etc.

BBQ is a method that creates a lot of arguments. Some people think of BBQ as anything cooked with BBQ flavors, including meat cooked in a crock pot with BBQ sauce. Cooking steaks, burgers and hot dogs on a backyard grill, even a gas grill are also referred to as backyard BBQ. For the purists, BBQ is smoked meat. No smoke, no BBQ.

CD

Well I most often think of anything cooked on a BBQ is .... ta da! BBQ'd! a method/style of cooking.

and I guess (to me) a BBQ is a hibatchi, free standing gas or coal grill, be it kettle or whatever shape! It also needs to be used outdoors. Brick and block built ones included. Excuded are campfires, with a fire grate positioned over them, or tripod. That's just camping.

Then there are the sauces made specifically to glob/glop/drown on BBQ'd foods and carry the name of BBQ in them somewhere. (think they were created simply to cover up burnt foods and try and rescue to make them taste a little better)

Ham is smoked pork, originally hung in the house chimney, so the purist might have a problem with that. ;):LOL:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom