Dishes with ridiculous names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scotch Woodcock - not Scottish or a bird. Quote from Wiki:-

"Scotch woodcock is a British savoury dish consisting of creamy, lightly scrambled eggs served on toast that has been spread with anchovy paste or Gentleman's Relish."

A savoury was the final course of a traditional British formal meal or banquet following the sweet pudding or dessert course. The savoury was designed to "clear the palate" before the Port is served. (We are not talking about the hoi polio's dining habits here). Rarely seen these days due to modern ideas about stuffing your face being a little more sensible.

Frogmore Stew
Rocky Mountain Oysters
Ropa Vieja (old clothes or rags)

Cullen Skink.

Smoked haddock, onions and potatoes.

Finnie Haddie is the name I grew up with instead of "Smoked Haddock." I love it. Every time I buy it unless it is packed at the bottom of a bag full of other groceries, it never makes it home with me. It is very rare and hard to find now a days.

It's actually Scottish and they won't be in the UK for very much longer. However, I expect they'll still expect the rest of us to help them out of the mess when they get into one.

The food will might be funny, but sorry it was England who lied to Scotland and said if we stayed with you lot, we could stay in Eu and then Brexit us.

Not fair nor right.

Any way politics are for another day, now food.

We have a cookie called Finnish Sticks and I have cook book with a french recipe called Tete Negre... it is a rice porridge with chocolate coatings.

Back
Top Bottom