"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I'm gonna try this (baking soda). At times, I've taken a clean glass out of the dishwasher and filled it with purified drinking water. Up raising the glass to my mouth to drink, I smelled on odor not coming from the water, but the glass.
That happens sometimes when I use a lot of vinegar. I can still smell the vinegar on the glasses. When this happens, I just run another rinse cycle and it makes it go away. That might work for you too.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #42
Head Chef

Its not soap or yukky stuff, the glasses are for the most part very clean looking. They just aren't neutral smelling when drinking purified water. Other drinks mask any odor, but purified water tells the tale that the dishwasher rinse cycle is imparting an odor to the glasses.

I think it might be that this happens when I let the load air dry instead of heat dry, longer time for the glasses to get smelly. I'm going to air dry a load and then heat dry a load and check the results.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Its not soap or yukky stuff, the glasses are for the most part very clean looking. They just aren't neutral smelling when drinking purified water. Other drinks mask any odor, but purified water tells the tale that the dishwasher rinse cycle is imparting an odor to the glasses.

I think it might be that this happens when I let the load air dry instead of heat dry, longer time for the glasses to get smelly. I'm going to air dry a load and then heat dry a load and check the results.
In that case, it may be residuals in the dishwasher itself.

Try running it empty with a full gallon of vinegar in it. Stop it after it sprays the vinegar around well and then restart it in the morning when you wake. This will give the vinegar time to dissolve the residuals and mineral deposits that might be present in it's system. After it finishes, run a regular load through it and the smell you have noticed should be gone. The dishwasher will be very clean and shiny too.