Dishwasher inserts v. pellets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MostlyWater

Sous Chef
I went to buy the pellets the other day and could only find the 12 wash inserts. And they're triple the price !

Anyone ?

I don't know what inserts are.
I used to buy those power balls, but they stopped making them and the company changed hands, so now I buy the replacement gel things. And not thirty minutes ago, as I was unloading the dishwasher from last night, I found some of the blue gel laying in the bottom, undissolved of course. They'll be getting a call from me on Monday. The dishes seemed clean, but how could a gel not dissolve?

Plumber told us to use just plain powder.We use Cascade powder and have less problems than we did with liquids and everything else we tried.

Pacanis, it could be that your water isn't hot enough. In the wintertime, I've noticed that our warm water isn't very warm at all.

You may be onto something, MW. I ran the DW right after a shower and a load of laundry. Thanks.

Yup. I didn't realize it until my around-the-house-clothes started not getting clean enough. I have a front loader, and it wasn't so easy to figure out the water temperature, you can't just stick your arm in there like you can for a top loader. Long story short, when it's cold, I don't run any laundry on a cold wash, even delicates.

FTR, I always run my dishwasher on the short cycle, but with hot water. I find that works best for us.

Modern dishwashers don't depend on the temperature of the water piped in to wash the dishes. Water is collected in the DW and the coil on the bottom heats it to the appropriate temperature, then the wash cycle starts.

I thought that coil was used for drying. I need to read up on DWs, mine is getting up there in years.

I have nothing to offer, since I don't have a DW...just good 'ole elbow grease here for me, but, when I did have DW's in the past, I found that I never did use them properly - to me, they were just "safer" hiding-places alternative to the oven. Oh, the things that I have ruined in my past!!

My dishwasher has a button for heater. It's on a thermostat, so we always have it on.

We don't use any of the premeasured dishwasher detergents, we have a ~2/3 size portable dishwasher, so the amounts are wrong.

I've tried a number of DW detergents and found Cascade to do the best job of getting the dishes clean without leaving a film and dissolving well in the machine. I have not had any left in the dispenser with that brand. I use the little gel packs that just pop in.

It's been 6 months. My nearby store ONLY has the refillble insert thingy and I broke down and bought one.

Anyone ?

I have really hard water. I use a tablespoon of "Lemi Shine" plus one small squirt of this:

I mix one ounce of Dawn Dish Detergent into a full size empty bottle of Dawn and then fill the bottle to the top with water and shake it good to mix.

Using only the Lemi Shine and the diluted Dawn DWD, my dishes come out with no spots and clean as can be. I don't taste any residue on the dishes either. That's why I quit using the packets. When I filled a glass with plain water, I could taste the soap :sick: and it gags me. Never have that problem now.

Lemi Shine is sold at Walmart.

Is it with the DW detergents? Have never heard of it.

Yes, it is. Here's a pic of it:

images

Timothy said:
Yes, it is. Here's a pic of it:

I will give your "recipe" a shot. We replaced our DW less than a year ago, and have been unhappy with its performance. Hard water may just be the culprit! Thanks!

If you have hard water, try setting a custard cup on the top rack and filling it with vinegar. The vinegar trickles out as the cup fills with wash water, and it really works for getting rid of spots on glasses and the deposits on the dishwasher.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom