"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 11-28-2005, 05:45 PM   #11
Executive Chef
If the oil is used and you know of a bunch of people that use that kind of stuff as gasoline, give it to them.

Have you had your habanero pepper today????
The hotter the pepper, the better the pepper!!!
kleenex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:11 PM   #12
Senior Cook
I routinely pour non-hydrogenated oil down the drain with nary a second thought. Non-hydrogenated oil is basically anything that is liquid at room temperature. I have never had a problem although I do rinse with plenty of cold water.

Don't do this with Crisco, sausage or bacon grease. Don't know why anyone would want to dispose of bacon grease though...

Curious fellow
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:11 PM   #13
Master Chef
I'm with Robo - if your community doesn't have a recycling program to handle used oil ... call a restaurant near you and see if they will let you bring your used oil to them for disposal (some place that does a lot of frying) - they generally get paid for the used oil so they shouldn't charge you. Another place to drop off your oil is a place that does auto oil changes, something like a "Jiffy Lube" - just ask them.

Now, I'm not suggesting this - but I have heard of some people without any other "environmentally friendly" options leaving their oil at the back door of restaurants near the used oil container.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:35 AM   #14
Senior Cook
I own a restaurant and we have a dedicated cooking oil recycling container which sits out back next to the dumpster. Weekly a fellow comes by and picks up the use oil and removes it at no charge since he recycles it.

Call a local restaurant, preferably one that has one or more fryers, and ask if they would mind recycling the oil for you. I am sure that you will find an environmentally conscious owner or manager who will be happy to help.

Alternatively, call your local household waste disposal company (city, county, parish, etc.) and ask what their recycling policy is for disposal of used cooking oils. Your best bet may be to put it into a sealed container and put it in your trash or put it in your recycling bin.

The use of vegetable oils as so called bio-diesel fuel is the logical best use for these used oils. In most cases they can just filter out any particulate matter and mix it with regular diesel fuel. I understand that the original fuel for which Mr. Diesel developed his diesel engine was vegetable oil. Engines run on vegetable oil have exhaust that smells like french fries.

Here is an interesting site about Biodiesel and using vegetable oil as fuel:

With regular diesel fuel costs at an all time high, we shouldn't waste the alternatives.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:16 AM   #15
Assistant Cook
To the above poster.. most restaurants have to pay to have their grease removed these days. In the old days, many companies bought old grease and resold it.

MrEd is offline   Reply With Quote