"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 02-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
Taste Buds of a Goat

Larry: I think your taste buds are just fine. San Marzano tomatoes are not as firm as Tuttorosso tomatoes so when they are cooked they do not give nice pieces of tomato. Also Tuttorosso tomatoes cost less and are grown and processed in the United States. Not all stores carry the San Marzano tomatoes so they are hard to find. I vote to use Tuttorosso and support America.

tomatolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #12
Senior Cook
Larry, if you find some really good tomatoes sold at a roadside stand that were sweet as candy, would the San Marzano's be any better? If you get rave reviews with what you're using, why spend the extra money?

My Mom used Hunt's when I was growing up and she made a killer meat sauce.

The best tomato sauce I have ever eaten in my life was made by the father of a good friend of mine who lived in Central New Jersey. He used fresh Jersey tomatoes, which he simmered for hours on the stove. The only spaghetti sauce I had eaten originated in cans. I didn't know that spaghetti sauce could taste so good.

toni1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:04 AM   #13
Sous Chef
I think you'd have the taste buds of a goat only if you liked canned tomatoes over sun-ripened, middle-of-the-summer, grown-in-your-back-yard, perfectly-juicy-red tomatoes.

I've never eaten San Marzanos knowingly, so I can't help.
Life is too short to eat processed, artificially-colored, chemically-preserved, genetically-modified food. Or maybe that IS why life's too short.
velochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:20 AM   #14
Head Chef
Im definitely a fresh over canned type of a guy. In fact, Im still working off my tomatoes from last summer ( which i froze, so Im not sure they count as fresh, but I think you got the idea). I was just curious to try the San Marzano since Ive heard so much talk about it, feeling as if i was missing out on something. Honestly, I never saw them in the stores I go to. But, there is an Italian grocery store that I occasionally go to. So, I thought Id see if they had them there. Sure enough they did, and i picked up a few cans out of curiosity. Dont get me wrong, they were fine. I just didnt notice a significant enough difference to me ( and my goat-like tastebuds) to make the extra trip each time I needed canned tomatoes. Ive had some brands of canned tomatoes that were just plain awful. And others that were comparible to those of San Marzano. As far as the fresh Jersey tomatoes. I lived in Philly a few years. Got my produce from the Italian market , you know, the one in south Philly where Rocky ran through on his way to the stairs of the art museum. There was a woman there from Jersey selling her Jersey tomatoes. Very protective of them, she yelled at me if I attempted to grab one and pick it up ( they were sold by the basket there, so couldnt touch, just had to grab a basket and pay.

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #15
Master Chef
Sometimes I think there is a bit of food snobbery going on when people "say" that such and such is soooo much better than the rest. For the most part, I usually find that there is relatively little difference. I have never tried the tomatoes. When buying canned tomatoes, I'm going for lowest sodium content and the cheapest price since I will "doctor" it up with my own spices and herbs. I don't think you have the palate of a goat!!
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #16
Senior Cook
It is the same thing with navel oranges. Yes they grow them in Florida and California, but the biggest and best are from Burass, LA. They are somewhat hard to find now because Katrina wiped out most of the trees. They usually are the size of a grapefruit, or softball, and they are the sweetest oranges. They are grown in the sediment from the river.

If you cannot put your heart and soul into your dishes, Order Take Out!
padams2359 is offline   Reply With Quote