Do I have the Taste Buds of a Goat ?? ( be kind)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So, after months, if not years of hearing everyone rave about the San Marzano tomatoes, I finally got my hands on a few cans. I used them. They were good. But to be %100 honest, I didnt notice much, if any difference from them to the brand I usually use, which is Tuttorosso. Sure, I have tasted some store brands which are kinda funky. So back to the title of this thread, do I have the taste buds of a goat?? or is there a significant difference???

Educate me,

larry

Are you 100% sure what you had were San Marzano? The reason I ask is that Tomatoes can be labeled as San Marzano, but if you look closely at the can you will see they wee actually grown in the US or somewhere else and are not actual S.M. tomatoes.

I haven't tried them, so I can't really answer that, but I say that if you don't notice a big difference, stick with whichever are cheaper! Also, sometimes people think they prefer one brand, but when they do a blind taste test (such as the one on 20/20 testing various brands of vodka), it turns out they often prefer the cheaper one (or don't notice a difference at all).

:)Barbara

I have never tasted them myself. The ones I got were fake. I didn't realize until after I used them.

%100 sure

Im not saying they were bad. I just didnt see a significant difference.

Its ok, you can call me a goat, I can handle it :)
I use to buy the San Maranzano then I found a brand made here where I live..If you have ever tatsted just plain canned tomatoes or the puree it isn't all that great alone.These tomatoes and the puree are so sweet and natural you could take a spoon and sit down..They are delish and the sauce or marinara they make..wonderful I use to hate anything that wasn't a meat sauce, now I could warm this up as is and eat it. suppose you could call me a goat cuz even the can is inviting:LOL:
kadesma

I think next week Ill get them again and do the taste test thing. Just for my own curiosity. I was so excited when i found them. I guess maybe i was expecting too much.

As a retired retail greenhouse grower...

San Marzano is a city in Italy were they grow a certain tomato in rich volcanic soil, and seeds from those tomatoes have become a special variety named San Marzano.
While they are still good sauce tomatoes when grown in other places, they will never have the same flavor of those grown in that little village in the shadow of an old volcano.
It's kind of like Vidalia onions...I used to sell plants at the greenhouse that came from the came from the same seed. They are good onions, but you need to grow them in that red Georgia clay for them to taste the same.

larry stewart said:
I guess maybe I was expecting too much.

I've been guilty of this numerous times...We build something up in our heads...and it's just not there --- Not bad, but not up to our expectations.

You have the taste buds of a crocodile, lol. I have never tried San Marzano. I'm very curious and will let you know if I find them..

Taste Buds of a Goat

Larry: I think your taste buds are just fine. San Marzano tomatoes are not as firm as Tuttorosso tomatoes so when they are cooked they do not give nice pieces of tomato. Also Tuttorosso tomatoes cost less and are grown and processed in the United States. Not all stores carry the San Marzano tomatoes so they are hard to find. I vote to use Tuttorosso and support America.
:chef:Tomatolady

Larry, if you find some really good tomatoes sold at a roadside stand that were sweet as candy, would the San Marzano's be any better? If you get rave reviews with what you're using, why spend the extra money?

My Mom used Hunt's when I was growing up and she made a killer meat sauce.

The best tomato sauce I have ever eaten in my life was made by the father of a good friend of mine who lived in Central New Jersey. He used fresh Jersey tomatoes, which he simmered for hours on the stove. The only spaghetti sauce I had eaten originated in cans. I didn't know that spaghetti sauce could taste so good.

I think you'd have the taste buds of a goat only if you liked canned tomatoes over sun-ripened, middle-of-the-summer, grown-in-your-back-yard, perfectly-juicy-red tomatoes. :LOL:

I've never eaten San Marzanos knowingly, so I can't help.

Im definitely a fresh over canned type of a guy. In fact, Im still working off my tomatoes from last summer ( which i froze, so Im not sure they count as fresh, but I think you got the idea). I was just curious to try the San Marzano since Ive heard so much talk about it, feeling as if i was missing out on something. Honestly, I never saw them in the stores I go to. But, there is an Italian grocery store that I occasionally go to. So, I thought Id see if they had them there. Sure enough they did, and i picked up a few cans out of curiosity. Dont get me wrong, they were fine. I just didnt notice a significant enough difference to me ( and my goat-like tastebuds) to make the extra trip each time I needed canned tomatoes. Ive had some brands of canned tomatoes that were just plain awful. And others that were comparible to those of San Marzano. As far as the fresh Jersey tomatoes. I lived in Philly a few years. Got my produce from the Italian market , you know, the one in south Philly where Rocky ran through on his way to the stairs of the art museum. There was a woman there from Jersey selling her Jersey tomatoes. Very protective of them, she yelled at me if I attempted to grab one and pick it up ( they were sold by the basket there, so couldnt touch, just had to grab a basket and pay.

larry

Sometimes I think there is a bit of food snobbery going on when people "say" that such and such is soooo much better than the rest. For the most part, I usually find that there is relatively little difference. I have never tried the tomatoes. When buying canned tomatoes, I'm going for lowest sodium content and the cheapest price since I will "doctor" it up with my own spices and herbs. I don't think you have the palate of a goat!!

It is the same thing with navel oranges. Yes they grow them in Florida and California, but the biggest and best are from Burass, LA. They are somewhat hard to find now because Katrina wiped out most of the trees. They usually are the size of a grapefruit, or softball, and they are the sweetest oranges. They are grown in the sediment from the river.

Back
Top Bottom