Do I measure pre- or post- prep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I have a recipe for butternut soup that I'd like to make that calls for the following:

• 8 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 2 1/4 pounds)
Do you think that means about 2 1/4 lb squash before peeling and seeding it or after? I don't want to over/under do it!

PAB, I'd go ahead and just buy 3 lb of the squash. After peeling and seeding, cut them up into cubes and by volume. If you go a little over, honestly, I'd throw that in as well, as I doubt it would really affect the recipe that much.

Remember, butternut squash is really dense. I think you can get away with one medium-sized one.

Notice how the recipe says about 2 1/4 pounds. Don't worry about going a little over or under. The recipe will work either way. If you feel you end up with too much squash then you can always add a little more stock (I am assuming it calls for stock) or if you find you like it with a more pronounced squashiness then don't worry about the extra stock. Just remember to taste as you go along and your taste buds will tell you what to do :chef:

When I went to work, I noticed we had a case of butternut squash in my walk-in. I looked them over, and noticed they were all about 8" in length. I went and weighed one, and it came out to about 1 lb 12 oz.

GB said:
Notice how the recipe says about 2 1/4 pounds. Don't worry about going a little over or under. The recipe will work either way. If you feel you end up with too much squash then you can always add a little more stock (I am assuming it calls for stock) or if you find you like it with a more pronounced squashiness then don't worry about the extra stock. Just remember to taste as you go along and your taste buds will tell you what to do :chef:

I agree with GB. As far as soup goes, I usually just throw in more than the recipe calls for and it always comes out great. And like he said, just add more stock if it's too thick.

GB said:
a more pronounced squashiness :chef:

Thanks everyone! Although GB, for some reason, a "more pronounced squashiness" doesn't sound too appetizing to me!:LOL:

I bought a medium-sized one that weighs approx 2.75 lb. If the recipe is good, I'll be sure to post it. We're supposed to have temps in the low to mid 80s through most of the week so I think I'll put off making it until Friday when it seems more fall-ish out.

Back
Top Bottom