Do I need a new Oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Epix

Assistant Cook
I recently started roasting all my vegetables as opposed to stir frying. I've been using some really old toaster oven that i've had for many many years.

So when I roast my vegetables, I cut them up into small even pieces, drizzle plenty of canola oil, season, spread apart so that they are not touching, 500 degrees for 40 minutes and I get little caramelization, barely tender enough, and a bit wrinkly. Everytime I see them do it on tv, or see pictures of roasted vegetables, they are usually dark brown, some black edges, oily and caramalized.

YouTube - Jamie Oliver Roasted Vegetables Ad
My vegetables look nothing like that.

Is my toaster oven broken, or am I just doing it wrong?

It sounds like your oven may be the problem. Your technique is fine. Buy an oven thermometer (about $10) and check the temp. If the pieces are small and you are doing 500 for 40 minutes they should definitely be more like what you are expecting.

"...Barely tender" ? Leave them in longer. Or , if you like them barely tender, switch to the broiler setting for a couple of minutes at the end to brown them a bit.

If your toaster oven does everything else well, it's probably your technique, not your oven.

Back
Top Bottom