Do I peel the oranges in this recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

momie2182

Assistant Cook
i am making a roasted orange cranberry sauce recipe i found on campbellskitchen.com. the recipe calls for coarsely chopped oranges but doesn't say if it should be peeled or whole. does anyone know??

A matter of personal taste, I'd think. Personally I would peel them. If I wanted a bit of orange zest I'd add some back in but wouldn't want the entire peel in the sauce. Others may have completely different ideas!

Like Franca said, it's a matter of personal taste. However, after looking at the recipe and the enlarged photo of the finished dish I would say yes. The pith, the white part between the zest and fruit, is tough and very bitter.

The first thing I would do would be to use a vegetable peeler, or a zester that would give me long stips of zest - not a microplane zester, and remove the zest. If you use a vegetable peeler you can then use a knife to cut the zest into thin strips.

Then, peel the oranges and cut the sections from membrane seperating them, called supremes - here is a page with photo instructions on how to do this, here is a video showing how to do it. Then, you can cut your supremes into chunks the size you want.

Finally, when you combine everything - add the zest you removed in the beginning. How much zest is up to you - but I would probably go with no more than 1/3 - 1/2 the zest from one orange.

Hope this helps.

For this one, Iwould peel the orange, but before I did, I'd zest it so you can use the little orange curls as a garnish! :chef:

Back
Top Bottom