Do they mean cornflour or cornstarch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're using that as a thickener for the soup, so it's what we would call corn starch. It's using metric measurements so I surmise that it's a British recipe. Well, that and the ".uk" on the url, LOL! Anyway, in the UK they usually use the term "corn flour" to mean what we would call "corn starch".

Kind of like they call cookies "biscuits", and the closest thing they have to our biscuits are scones.

Last edited:
They're using that as a thickener for the soup, so it's what we would call corn starch. It's using metric measurements so I surmise that it's a British recipe. Well, that and the ".uk" on the url, LOL! Anyway, in the UK they usually use the term "corn flour" to mean what we would call "corn starch".

Kind of like they call cookies "biscuits", and the closest thing they have to our biscuits are scones.

Thanks. It's what I thought but wanted to be sure.

I made it today and it tasted very good but I did modify the recipe just a little.

If you have any ideas on how to make it even better then please post them.

I love soup in the winter ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
No, No, They mean Corn
39817-albums930-picture5266.jpg
Flour! A fine ground corn meal.

No, No, They mean Corn Flour! A fine ground corn meal.

I disagree. The recipe is from the UK where they call corn starch corn flour. The recipe calls for two tablespoons mixed with water as a thickener. Classic use of corn starch as a thickener.

I disagree. The recipe is from the UK where they call corn starch corn flour. The recipe calls for two tablespoons mixed with water as a thickener. Classic use of corn starch as a thickener.

Yes. In the UK corn flour and corn starch are the same.

Back
Top Bottom