Do You Cook With File'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And you are citing my source (that I quoted from above) to refute me. That usually doesn't work .. :)

This is getting really silly, but fine. Here's what it says in that article:

"The gumbo I did at Commander's was a roux gumbo," Prudhomme told Brett Anderson of the Times-Picayune in 2005. "To my knowledge, it had never been done before. It was chicken and andouille, down-and-dirty Cajun. It was what Mama used to do."

...emphasis mine. My point was that he popularized what is considered the modern form of Cajun cooking. Is it that much of a leap to say that, in popularizing something, he created a trend??

Seriously, is this a grammar checking forum or a cooking forum? And, CraigC, does ridiculing someone's (verifiable) statement make for a productive forum??

Last edited:
This is what you said.

What we consider to be gumbo today - with browned roux being a key component - is a Paul Prudhomme invention that became accepted as law in the 1980s. .

That Paul Prudhomme invented brown roux gumbo.

Which he did not.

The article you cite from Serious Eats provides ample evidence to disprove you because brown roux gumbo had been around for 100 years before PP re-popularized it in NO. See my quotes, above.

My disagreement with you was not about PP's rejuvenation of the technique but with your statement that he invented it. Because he didn't.

:chef::chef::chef::chef:

I give up. Half the posts here are focusing on the choice of words.

If I had said "(The current trend for) what we consider to be gumbo today - with browned roux being a key component - was created by Paul Prudhomme", would that have been okay?? This is what I meant, as I've explained already.

And, my point was that there are different interpretations of Cajun cooking. That was completely lost in this ridiculous focus on choice of words.

I never said I was an expert, and - jennyema- I also never said that that Paul Prudhomme invented roux, just that he invented what became accepted "laws" for modern Cajun cooking. You want facts about the history of Cajun cooking, read this:

How Roux Made Its Way Into the Gumbo Pot | Serious Eats

You want some eye rolling? Next time, before you slam someone for stating easily verifiable facts, check out a little thing called Google. :rolleyes:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:So, someone's opinion you take as fact, right. I'll wager that 3/4 of the "FACTS" on the internet are just BS, supporting/pushing an agenda or for self promotion.

You might want to reread your post to verify what you did say as opposed to what you claim you didn't say!;)

Okay. I'm done. I thought this was a great forum to exchange ideas, and for the most part it is.

But, some people get their kicks out of nitpicking details, rather than trying to understand what a person meant, even after clarification. You are exactly the sort of people I hate having discussions with, because you don't acknowledge clarifications as you keep going back to "...but you said this."

I was trying to be helpful; you weren't trying AT ALL to be helpful, just hurtful. My point - as I also said more than once - is that there are different ways to make Cajun.

So, have fun ripping someone else's posts. I won't be making any more on this forum.

My original post in this thread was about the use of file'. You are the one that felt it necessary to take it off topic. That was your choice. Problem is, you provided misinformation in doing so.

Okay. I'm done. I thought this was a great forum to exchange ideas, and for the most part it is.

But, some people get their kicks out of nitpicking details, rather than trying to understand what a person meant, even after clarification. You are exactly the sort of people I hate having discussions with, because you don't acknowledge clarifications as you keep going back to "...but you said this."

I was trying to be helpful; you weren't trying AT ALL to be helpful, just hurtful. My point - as I also said more than once - is that there are different ways to make Cajun.

So, have fun ripping someone else's posts. I won't be making any more on this forum.

I hope I didn't contribute to putting you in a bad mood. It wasn't my intention.

Your Paul Prudhome comment was just not totally correct. He did do a lot to popularize cajun food outside of the cajun community, that is for sure. So did Emeril.

But, having lived down there, I know that my friends moms, grandmothers, and great grandmothers made the same dark roux gumbos that I make today.

Again, I apologize if I offended you. I really was just tying to "exchange ideas."

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom