"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-14-2008, 12:52 AM   #21
Head Chef

As a chef I had to come up with different dishes all the time. I might get a idea from some thing I had read but with baking I follow the formula to the T . Baking professionally involves ratios of water to flour and yeast if you follow my drift and frankly I am not that smart to start playing with ratios, so I stick to whats on the printed page
I did not fall off the Turnip Truck last night >:-)

Old 02-14-2008, 03:36 AM   #22
Master Chef

Cooking yes I will sometimes play around and come up with something of my own. Baking no... I follow recipes to the T and don't play around with them, I am just not that good at baking to do that.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:22 AM   #23
Cook

i also tweek!!

If i eat something savory i like and dont have the recipy, i qite often make it up myself from knowledge i already have (but only simple stuff like pies, lesagnes etc) Plan to make a BBQ chicken lesagne tonight with a bbq sauce recipy i have and my imagination!!

I also tend to do my own bread recipys, as i found a really useful site that told me the different ratios of water to flour for diff consistancies of bread!

As far as baking goes i tweek and combine most recipys, i always make it exactly as recipysays the first time then change stuff.... flour and fat amounts usually stay the same but i add or take away or substitute other ingrediants. i also combine recipys quite often..... my chocolate eclare recipyuses the pastry from one book, cream from another and chocolate from a third!!!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:37 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

Cooking is art. Baking is science.

If you are ready to be creative, apply yourself to non-baking recipes. You can make all sorts of wonderful dishes from what your favorites are and from what's at hand.

But baking requires precision. I always measure my recipes by weight and do it to the gram so there is never a mistake.

Linda
Old 02-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

? what is it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
Sometimes I do create recipes, with ingredients I have on hand and when hubby tastes it , he asks what is it called? I don't have names for them
hey ladycook, u sound like me . i change things as i go and should write it down but never do.

baking is more percise but has a little wiggle room, different flavors i.e.
vanilla , or lemon or almond, etc. or chocolate chips or chunks. you get the picture.

cooking is an endless source of pleasure for me.

babe
Old 02-14-2008, 08:43 PM   #26
Master Chef

As far as regular cooking, I could probably fill several cookbooks with recipes I've either originated myself or morphed completely from base recipes found elsewhere.

As far as baking, the only things I've ever changed have been adding a lot of extra fruit/nuts, etc. Basic recipes never seem to specify enough fruit or nuts to make a bakery item really good. They're so stingy with them - lol!!
Old 02-15-2008, 05:05 PM   #27
Master Chef

ground chicken chili

I don't know what to really call it . I just received my meat grinder and had some chicken breast in the freezer so I ground some.
I decided to be creative with the ground chicken. I browned the chicken in olive oil, with diced red onion, chopped scallions, 2 minced cloves of garlic, salt , pepper, when chicken finished browning/cooked, I added a can of black beans, (rinsed beforehand) and the interesting ingredient... cinnnamon .
Stirred everything together... and voila , tasted it.. not bad at all, I liked it.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
As far as regular cooking, I could probably fill several cookbooks with recipes I've either originated myself or morphed completely from base recipes found elsewhere.

As far as baking, the only things I've ever changed have been adding a lot of extra fruit/nuts, etc. Basic recipes never seem to specify enough fruit or nuts to make a bakery item really good. They're so stingy with them - lol!!
That is soo true! If they are gonna be blueberry muffins, then they better well be good and blueberryish!!
Then again I have been known to go overboard and just as quickly ruined the recipe...
Old 02-15-2008, 06:29 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I don't know what to really call it . I just received my meat grinder and had some chicken breast in the freezer so I ground some.
I decided to be creative with the ground chicken. I browned the chicken in olive oil, with diced red onion, chopped scallions, 2 minced cloves of garlic, salt , pepper, when chicken finished browning/cooked, I added a can of black beans, (rinsed beforehand) and the interesting ingredient... cinnnamon .
Stirred everything together... and voila , tasted it.. not bad at all, I liked it.
Very cool! Cincinnati chili has cinnamon and coco powder in it I believe.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:39 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Very cool! Cincinnati chili has cinnamon and coco powder in it I believe.
I didn't know that.... here I thought I was being different .