Do you develop your own recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Hi, How many of you develop your own recipes? (both baking and cooking) I find that for cooking, it's much easier to make something creative and brand new, but with baking, I've never been able to develop any recipes from "scratch". The best I can come up with is taking a recipe I like and tweaking it to add a personal touch.

Would love to learn the ratios for making my own recipes (i.e. quick breads, cookies, scones--basically anything that doesn't require yeast to rise, too lazy to wait). Flour to b.powder to b.soda ratios. Anyone have any tips?

Thx! :D

htc, baking is always called more of science than "plain" ole cooking. Measurements and weights of ingredients are much more important in baking than in other forms of cookery, so it's rather difficult to improvise if you want your cake to form a beautiful crumb or the bread to not be a brick.

If you don't bake much, take a recipe you like and try playing around with the "additives", such as fruit, nuts, flavors, glazes, etc. You'll find out what worked and what didn't. Kind of fun, actually. Thsi works especially well with quick breads.

If the results suck, you've learned what NOT to do again. Flour, baking soda, sugar, etc. are cheap, so you haven't wasted much and have gained wisdom.

baking really is a science! I am going to try my hand at developing my own "recipe". I will let you all know how it goes! :)

I often come up with new meal ideas, and my husband is great for trying new things. Baking wise, I also stick to the recipe and tweek it a bit at times. For example, today I was making cookies that called for them to be rolled in confectioner's sugar prior to baking. That was fine, but I decided on subsequent batches to roll them in either finely ground walnuts, almonds, or macadamia (sic) nuts. I moistened the rolled cookie ball of each one with some whipped up plain egg white to make the nuts stick. As I moved along with my adventure, I decided to add in some green and red Christmas sugar with the various nuts. I ended up with quite a variety of the same basic cookie, but different tastes. They look great and the ones with the nuts are better than the confectioner sugar coating, per my husband's expert opinion, and mine as well. I really don't understand the science of baking, like the need for baking soda vs. baking powder or sometimes both, etc. Safer for me to stay with the cookbooks. Happy Holidays to everyone! :D

for baking, i use recipes, which i hate using, so i hardly bake.
for regular foods, recipes are out. i invent on my own. :D

Cats, sounds like your cookies turned out wonderful! So creative! I am slowly trying, but am not very creative...I'm trying though! :D

I'm not sure if what I do would be called creating recipes, most of the time it is taking a recipe and adapting it to different ingredients, or getting the basic ideas for a recipe then just adding however and whatever much you want (the best way to approach stews I think).

Although there have been a couple of original inventions, mostly when it comes to absolutely nothing in the cupboard and you have to get creative to eat properly. As they say, necessity is the mother of all invention.

Personally I think you have to be cooking and trying new ingredients by themselves or in pre-set recipes for a while before you can suddenly go "you know what would be great with ingredient X? ingredient Y!!!" and off you go. Well, that was how it was for me anyhow.

I have both tweaked old recipes to make them my own, and created some of my own original recipes.

Both are fun to do.

I love creating my own stews and braises. Dry rubs are never the same twice!
But when it comes to baking...I have never created my own recipe, however I do make changes and additions....to suit my own taste.

I enjoy tweaking recipes too! I've also come up with different thing completely by accident. For example, my cousin told me that soaking ribs in orange juice and pineapple juice for 24 hours would make them "slide off the bone." Didn't work out that way but the meat tasted amazingly like Teriyaki Pork! :? :LOL:

Inventing new recipes

I love collecting cookbooks but rarely follow a recipe when it comes to meals, as well. I'm not much of a baker but recently received my mom's homemade baking cookbook...she has many recipes that have ingredients and no instructions, so I find them hard to follow.

I just finished creating a 20 page booklet for my sister for a Christmas present because much of the baking is Christmas cookies. Hopefully she will be able to help me decipher the recipes, so we can carry on the wonderful recipes mom made.

I like to pull out 3-6 cookbooks, put them in a stack, read all the recipes for what I want to make, then make up my own.

I am totally flummoxed when I read that baking is a science while other types of cooking are not. What's the real distinction? Weights and measures? Don't think so. I vote for habit and practice.

If I'm cooking something unfamiliar, I start with a recipe.

If you routinely cook X type of food or dish you learn the basic routine and can substitute/tweak from there. Habit and practice teach you that and it doesn't matter whether it's a baked good or not.

I also think our eathing habits have shifted over several generations - breads and savory pastries used to be more a staple of the average person's diet but we've shifted away from that so the average cook now has less experience making them. The "scientists" move into the void.

Yes, inventnon and creation is always a big part of it. It's one of the reasons that I like cooking so much!

I'm a lot like Claire - unless I'm trying to duplicate something specifically from a recipe I know the dish was created from ... I'll look for several variations and mix-n-match to create the flavor I'm looking for.

Poor Sub - I know how you feel. I get bumfuzzeled at people who get flummoxed because they can't accept the fact that cookery is more of an art than a science ... and baking, while there is room for artistic expression, is based on a science of ratios of certain ingredients. No, the more accurate weights and measures do not make it more of a science - it is because it is more of a science that the greater accuracy in measurement is needed.

I definitely feel that baking is more of a science than other kinds of cooking. For example, if you decide to make fried rice, and you don't have eggs, you will still have a great rice dish when you are through. If you subtract the eggs from a baking recipe, you'll have something inedible. You can decide when your meat is done to your taste, and pull it out of the oven then. Try that with a cake. You really need to have the science of baking down before you can experiment, whereas with other types of cooking, you can simply taste until you like the flavor. You cannot do that with a bread (gee, halfway along I decide I need more cinnamon in my Greek chili, I add more. Can't do that with cinnamon bread). You simply need to know what makes a pastry or bread go up or fall, whereas you can do stove-top-cooking to taste. Baking is serious science before you can experiment.

Sometimes I do create recipes, with ingredients I have on hand and when hubby tastes it , he asks what is it called? I don't have names for them :chef:

I like to think of myself as a decent cook. I tweak recipes all the time and I do develop my own from scratch. But, when it comes to baking, I'm a complete flop! I think baking is more of a science, as certain exact amounts react with other certain amounts and out comes a perfect product. It's hard to cover up a bad piece of baking, but I can 'fix up' a bad cooking recipe most times.

create your own... Absolutely!!! thats the fun of cooking. Actually, I seldom follow a recipe.. Baking I think you need to either really know what you are doing or use a recipe. For dinner etc.... not so much....

Back
Top Bottom