"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Michael nailed it. The cooking process with all it's smells amd flavors works to dull your appetite. It happens to me when I doing a 'big meal'. I sit down and have no appetite. I eat regardless.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #12
Master Chef

I will take small taste tests throughout the cooking process, and definitely always eat what I cook. Kinda not the greatest thing as I could stand to loose a few pounds, LOL.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Same here I cook, taste a little and then do not care to eat the meal but I throughly enjoy it for lunch the next day. On the other hand I eat with gusto a good meal someone else has made since my senses have not been over whelmed from cooking it. Also you only need a little food for your stomach to determine you are full it takes your stomach about 20 minutes to figure it's full so that little nibbling/tasting and smelling makes you feel full on less food. When I cook because of this sometimes I think the food is not that good but in fact it is very good but I just don't care to have anymore. For me cooking a Holiday Dinner always tastes better the next day.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:32 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

i am hardly ever hungry when i make a big meal. i also take a small serving and just sorta push it around.

i know what you mean about thanksgiving and Christmas. i usually don't want it til the next day.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:40 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Yes, I do eat my own cooking......even after tasting it a couple of times while it cooks!
Old 10-13-2008, 01:06 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

i can't think of a time that i've cooked and not tasted the food or eaten the finished product.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:15 AM   #17
Executive Chef

It depends on whether or not I like what I'm cooking. My kids like lentils, sauerkraut, sausage, and a lot of things I don't care for so on those nights, I eat PB&J.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:45 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Hello, absolutely eat what I cook if I am cutting salad, I can't help but pick at the cucumbers , fresh tomatoes, before adding the dressing. I love dipping a spoon into just right tomatoe sauce for spaggetti or ravioli and smearing it onto fresh bread spinkled with bitey parmsean cheese. I tuck into the completed meal afterwards but tend to have a smaller serving, because I'm full. Hubby and teenage son usually go for secounds
Old 10-13-2008, 01:51 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Sometimes I'll prepare the meal and eat it the next day. I usually cook enough for leftovers for a couple of days, so on preparation day, I eat a sandwich sometimes.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:15 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I thought my mom was the only one to do this and that I learned it from her. I am so grateful you started this thread GRK. If I'm cooking for my DD, I generally don't end up eating. If I'm cooking for me it's not generally elaborate so I eat. It's when I go fancy I often disappoint myself by not being hungry at the end of the process. I've learned to cook meals that are just as good the second night as they were the first so I'll eat them then.

The big one is when I make soup or chili. At the end of the day DD wants it but I'm over it. I've tasted it so much I'm just not that into eating it. Good thing my chili keeps for a full year.