Do you eat the meal you cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For me it really depends on what I'm cooking and how hungry I am when I start. If I'm really hungry, then it's pickin' time and I tend not to eat much when it's finally ready. If it's a labor intensive meal, even if I don't pick, I'll tend to not eat as much. If it's just a regular dish I make all the time and have the seasonings down etc. I'll not pick and just eat when it's ready. Cooking for a big crowd (like when I cook at the shelter) I tend to not really be hungry when I'm done and will only eat the leftovers while the rest of the crew cleans up.

Really cant thing of a good title but I was wondering if im alone on this one.

So when I make a meal I tend to pick and try what im making threw out the process. I dont follow any recipes so I kidna have too.

but once the meal is done and ready. Everyone is sitting and eating and there I am with either nothing or just a littel tiny pice of this or that.

It bothers my freinds and the wife.

Jsut wondering if im all alone on this problem (I dont see it as one, give me a chance to do the dishes and think about dessert.)

Whether or not I taste a lot as I'm cooking depends on whether I've made the dish before or not. I do taste everything, but that doesn't mean I eat a portion while cooking.

Either way, it's never affected whether or not I eat the finished product with my guests. I can't imagine sitting there watching other people eat! :ermm: Guess I like my cooking too much. :ROFLMAO:

Curious why you don't ever follow any recipes? I find lots of good ones out there. Mine aren't always necessarily the best...

I don't usually eat what I make when I'm working..other than the obligatory testing. However, when I cook at home, yes, I do eat the meal almost all the time.

If I'm cooking a large meal for a family gathering, I usually pick and taste to make sure things are cooked and seasoned correctly. Then after serving, I'm usually not very hungry. I try to take advantage of the extra time not spent at the table to clean up the kitchen. Of course this makes most of the family uncomfortable, but what the heck I'm just not hungry.

I've just proven to myself that NO I don't eat what I cook. I made my wings tonight. They are done, sitting there, and I haven't touched them. The cats have, but I haven't.

Daily meals are usually simple and quickly made, so I will sit down and eat what i have made aong with DW. However, when I'm cooking for a crowd, I become like Andy and Michael. I'm so into the cooking, tasting and nibbling, that when dinner is served I have a very small portion on my plate just to mirror my guests. Yes, the next day is always a big food day consuming leftovers.

JoeV

I've just proven to myself that NO I don't eat what I cook. I made my wings tonight. They are done, sitting there, and I haven't touched them. The cats have, but I haven't.

DON'T TURN OFF THE LIGHTS...I'LL BE RIGHT OVER TO TAKE CARE OF THOSE WINGS FOR YOU!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

i won't let myself pick, i'll taste fer seasoning, though. then i can consume my meal.

I eat everything I cook, thats the problem:ohmy: - not so much "during" - that is just to check here and there -- If I am preparing a large meal for a group - especially holidays - I don't eat "as much" as I normally would - usually enjoying the leftovers more the next day.

I always pick way too much while cooking(glad to see others do it as well- thought it was only me) so are usually not very hungry when we eat but will still have a little bit of food - just to be sociable. It's actually a good thing as DH always works quite late so we usually only eat between 8h30 and 9h30(which is also why I pick so much because I get hungry at 7). This way I don't eat too much too late in the evening.

Yeah, I taste some, which can sometimes affect my appetite at the end, but never so much that I can't eat at least nearly a normal-sized meal.

Non-food taster!

:chef: I NEVER taste the food while I'm cooking. I cook using recipes and wait until the food is ready before I eat it. :chef:

I don't pick at all, unless it's to taste something like a sauce part way through cooking. Or dipping a finger in a doctored up BBQ sauce before I put it on.

I do much the same, pacanis. Mostly check for proper seasoning throughout the cooking process, then eat the meal. Now, I have to eat the meal, regardless, since it's just me.

I taste and munch as I am cooking. Then when I sit down to eat, I usually serve myself smaller portions. I tend to snack on the ingredients... like if I'm adding cheese to something, I nibble on the cheese. Or slicing veggies, I will nibble on the raw veggies. Whatever I am doing, I manage to find a way to 'test' it out.

Non-food taster

Max how can you not taste the food, dont you want to be sure it has been seasoned correctly to taste, what about when acidic juices are required ? the food has to have the right amount or all you taste is the eg; lemon, unless it is you have lost your taste bud's and the recipes you follow state the taste as you go, or you get someone else to taste the food for you is this correct ? Max what if the recipe is wrong and what about creativity dont you want to add The Max touch? You know something I would go to someone's place say for dinner or a get together with the girls and if there was something I liked what was done with it I'd ask for the recipe but I could never quite create the exact same, only to find out that the secrect ingredient was left out of the written recipe given. So I would improvise, taste and adjust until I liked the way I wanted it to taste and sometimes with great improvement too ( I garner this by the compliment's I recieve). So Max go for the plunge, and give it a go or maybe not if that's your choice. oh and I just thought I'd say hi too.

I understand what the OP is saying... If I spend an more than half an hour in the kitchen, prepping, cooking, tasting, etc., I don't have much of an appetite when I get to the table.

On the other hand, if you come between me and my grilled ribeye you're going to pull back a nub... :cool:

While working as banquet chef I had to taste so much during the day I would go home and have a sandwich or 2 eggs and some toast. But cooking for my family yes I eat what I fix. Tonights meal was braised brisket with root veggies baked potato and a geen salad and I am still full 2300hrs ct

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom