"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 10-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #31
Executive Chef
Do you like the way your food tastes?

Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #32
Senior Cook
I always pick way too much while cooking(glad to see others do it as well- thought it was only me) so are usually not very hungry when we eat but will still have a little bit of food - just to be sociable. It's actually a good thing as DH always works quite late so we usually only eat between 8h30 and 9h30(which is also why I pick so much because I get hungry at 7). This way I don't eat too much too late in the evening.

TanyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
Always! I taste as I go, but not so much that I'm too full to eat dinner.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #34
Senior Cook
Yeah, I taste some, which can sometimes affect my appetite at the end, but never so much that I can't eat at least nearly a normal-sized meal.
BrazenAmateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #35
Senior Cook
Non-food taster!

I NEVER taste the food while I'm cooking. I cook using recipes and wait until the food is ready before I eat it.
"When the kitchen smells spicy and wonderful, it can only mean one thing... it's not my kitchen."--- Maxine
Max Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I don't pick at all, unless it's to taste something like a sauce part way through cooking. Or dipping a finger in a doctored up BBQ sauce before I put it on.
I do much the same, pacanis. Mostly check for proper seasoning throughout the cooking process, then eat the meal. Now, I have to eat the meal, regardless, since it's just me.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:56 AM   #37
Master Chef
I taste and munch as I am cooking. Then when I sit down to eat, I usually serve myself smaller portions. I tend to snack on the ingredients... like if I'm adding cheese to something, I nibble on the cheese. Or slicing veggies, I will nibble on the raw veggies. Whatever I am doing, I manage to find a way to 'test' it out.
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:15 PM   #38
Senior Cook
Non-food taster

Max how can you not taste the food, dont you want to be sure it has been seasoned correctly to taste, what about when acidic juices are required ? the food has to have the right amount or all you taste is the eg; lemon, unless it is you have lost your taste bud's and the recipes you follow state the taste as you go, or you get someone else to taste the food for you is this correct ? Max what if the recipe is wrong and what about creativity dont you want to add The Max touch? You know something I would go to someone's place say for dinner or a get together with the girls and if there was something I liked what was done with it I'd ask for the recipe but I could never quite create the exact same, only to find out that the secrect ingredient was left out of the written recipe given. So I would improvise, taste and adjust until I liked the way I wanted it to taste and sometimes with great improvement too ( I garner this by the compliment's I recieve). So Max go for the plunge, and give it a go or maybe not if that's your choice. oh and I just thought I'd say hi too.
RoseGetzCookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #39
Sous Chef
I understand what the OP is saying... If I spend an more than half an hour in the kitchen, prepping, cooking, tasting, etc., I don't have much of an appetite when I get to the table.

On the other hand, if you come between me and my grilled ribeye you're going to pull back a nub...
RobsanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:48 PM   #40
Head Chef
While working as banquet chef I had to taste so much during the day I would go home and have a sandwich or 2 eggs and some toast. But cooking for my family yes I eat what I fix. Tonights meal was braised brisket with root veggies baked potato and a geen salad and I am still full 2300hrs ct

Cook with passion or don't cook at all
Dave Hutchins is offline   Reply With Quote