"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-08-2015, 08:39 AM   #11
Sous Chef

I do this quite often but I don't cook together if one is ,say, curry or containing onions or garlic. Apart from that I can't remember having a problem.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I volunteer every Friday in the kitchen. We usually cook for about 30-40 people. But sometimes it could a hundred. When that happens there is not enough time or room in the oven. In that case i do have to cook things together, so I just cook everything covered.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
I had a prep pan of asparagus, another of rainbow trout, and yet another with chicken on it the other day. All were to be cooked at 400, 12 minutes for the asparagus and trout, 25 for the chicken breasts. I just set different timers.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:49 PM   #13
Master Chef

As of right now, the plan is to simultaneously bake chicken enchiladas (covered until the end, once the baked goods are out), two pans of mini-scones, a 6-count pan of jumbo muffins, 8x8 pan of brownies, and if there is room I'll bake two Idahos for twice-baked potatoes. Once everything is out, I'll probably run the oven through a sort self-clean cycle, too. May as well use the heat as a jump-start!

Results - when I have some. Thanks, all, for the suggestions.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:02 PM   #14
Master Chef

My grandma used to always say 'when ya heat up the oven, never bake an orphan'.... I try to throw something else in there when I crank up the oven, like a couple of potatoes, but I've always been afraid of putting a sweet dessert in at the same time as say, an oniony or garlicky casserole. I'll be watching for your results, CG.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:12 PM   #15
Master Chef

No garlic in the enchiladas, Cheryl! In fact, it's a pretty mellow version. The link to the recipe is in my original post. Have no fear, I am not roasting beef with garlic and strong herbs while making some fruity muffin.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:36 PM   #16
Master Chef

I knew you weren't, CG.

I was just remembering in the waybacks of my mind about all the things my gram cooked all day in her oven...grandpa used to catch fish and oven roast them the same time as grandma roasted potatoes, and there would be an apple pie served right around the same time....everything was delicious...but I may be remembering it wrong. LOL
Old 05-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #17
Master Chef

One pan meal, entree, and desert, that pastrie for which U.P. Michigan is famous for, the pastie.

Simply make a 1-2-3 pastry dough, dice up onion, potato, rutabaga, and brown some coarse ground beef. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic to taste. Roll the dough into 8 inch rounds. Keep a little dough left over to roll into a 4 inch long snake. Place the snake 2/3rds over on the round piece of dough. Spoon filling one-half the larger side, be generous, and pie filling onto the smaller side. Fold the round into a half circle and roll the edges inward. The top dough should press against the snake to seal one side from the other. Bake until golden brown at 350' F. This should take about 40 minutes. You can use multiple cookie sheets to make 6 or more pasties at a time.

Foil dinners also come to mind as they are already sealed in the foil. Make a nice cobbler, or brownies at the same time.

I would think you could roast a small ham, or pork, or beef roast with potato wedges and corn on the cob on one shelf, and a dump cake on another.

The combinations are almost endless, so long as the temps used favor all of the foods being prepared in the oven.

Can you imagine pulling a delicious lasagna, and an apple crisp from the oven at the same time? That would be epic.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #18
Master Chef

Pastie, empanada, hand pie, calzone - no matter what you call it, they're all good. However, I do have the "menu" planned as to what I would cook together. Since I have been craving chicken enchiladas, that is the star. I'll cover those so I can bake all the flour-based foods without worry. Don't want my fruit muffins tasting like cheesy chicken.

And trust me, Chief, you would NOT want any of my desserts if they were baked when I was roasting beef. Unless you WANTED garlic-apricot scones.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:37 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Ya know, CG, since I got my sweet little Breville toaster oven, I rarely use my "regular" oven anymore. The TO uses very little juice, and doesn't heat up the kitchen. Most things fit in it, though I'll have to use the big oven for a turkey. I love it.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Ya know, CG, since I got my sweet little Breville toaster oven, I rarely use my "regular" oven anymore. The TO uses very little juice, and doesn't heat up the kitchen. Most things fit in it, though I'll have to use the big oven for a turkey. I love it.
Good idea. I have used it for meatloaf, but I wonder if a cake would fit in mine. It's 20 years old and I think they didn't make TOs as big back then.

Tags
cook, dessert, oven