Do you ever cook an entree and a dessert in the oven together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Our last electric bill was a heart attack on paper. :ohmy: Right now I'm afraid to turn the oven on for anything! However, I've had a craving for brownies. I also have shredded chicken for enchiladas burning a hole in my freezer. I was wondering if I could cook them together? The enchilada is very mild tasting, so I don't think there will be the flavor transfer I would get from something like highly seasoned beef. Since brownies are a pretty sturdy bakery full of flavor, they probably won't pick up any strange flavors. OR might I end up with chocolate enchiladas and cheesy brownies? :ermm:

Should I bake simultaneously? Or am I out-of-luck?

Do you ever cook and entree and a dessert in the oven together?

I don't see why not. Maybe cover the brownies with a small piece of parchment paper if you're worried about smell transfers.

Last edited:
taxy, if I put the brownies on the upper rack nothing should spatter. Good idea!

Dawg, thanks for the parchment hint. Although, if the chili heat would get into the brownies, they might resemble one of the versions that "Hannah Swensen" from Joanne Fluke's mysteries made one time. I think she added minced Jalapeno peppers to the batter. :ohmy:

Our last electric bill was a heart attack on paper. :ohmy: Right now I'm afraid to turn the oven on for anything! However, I've had a craving for brownies. I also have shredded chicken for enchiladas burning a hole in my freezer. I was wondering if I could cook them together? The enchilada is very mild tasting, so I don't think there will be the flavor transfer I would get from something like highly seasoned beef. Since brownies are a pretty sturdy bakery full of flavor, they probably won't pick up any strange flavors. OR might I end up with chocolate enchiladas and cheesy brownies? :ermm:

Should I bake simultaneously? Or am I out-of-luck?
You should try living in rural Ontario. We have the highest electricity rates in North America. I only use the oven on weekends at home and make sure I put as many things as possible in the oven at the same time.

Your post reminds me of Jimmy Carter's admonitions to "put on a sweater" or "turn down the thermostat".

The Energy Crunch Cookbook by Joan Bingham was a big hit during those years. The book contains menu's and recipes that can be made together in the oven. It also has ideas for crock pot, toaster oven, etc...

It also reminds me of my grandmother tossing a few potatoes, a squash and a few cups of egg custard into the oven when she made a meatloaf or roasted a chicken. She hated to heat up that "huge" oven for just one small dish. As I get older I'm beginning to think the same way! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Good luck!

Yes I dislike using the oven for just one thing. Invariably incorporate with other bits and pieces (which can sometimes be biscuits or a baked dessert), but more often it is roasting a red pepper, baking potatoes or a cooking apple. If the heat is high, the apple goes to a puree which is lovely on oatcakes (or can be mixed into plain yogurt).

I have used my oven thermometer on various heat settings and on various shelves in the oven to establish what the heat is on that shelf is, e.g. for Mk. 4 centre shelf, 2 shelves up it is Mk. 5. That way I have a ready reference for incorporating cooking various food items.

Last edited:
I volunteer every Friday in the kitchen. We usually cook for about 30-40 people. But sometimes it could a hundred. When that happens there is not enough time or room in the oven. In that case i do have to cook things together, so I just cook everything covered.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

I do this quite often but I don't cook together if one is ,say, curry or containing onions or garlic. Apart from that I can't remember having a problem.

I volunteer every Friday in the kitchen. We usually cook for about 30-40 people. But sometimes it could a hundred. When that happens there is not enough time or room in the oven. In that case i do have to cook things together, so I just cook everything covered.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
I had a prep pan of asparagus, another of rainbow trout, and yet another with chicken on it the other day. All were to be cooked at 400, 12 minutes for the asparagus and trout, 25 for the chicken breasts. I just set different timers.

As of right now, the plan is to simultaneously bake chicken enchiladas (covered until the end, once the baked goods are out), two pans of mini-scones, a 6-count pan of jumbo muffins, 8x8 pan of brownies, and if there is room I'll bake two Idahos for twice-baked potatoes. Once everything is out, I'll probably run the oven through a sort self-clean cycle, too. May as well use the heat as a jump-start!

Results - when I have some. Thanks, all, for the suggestions.

My grandma used to always say 'when ya heat up the oven, never bake an orphan'....:ermm::LOL: I try to throw something else in there when I crank up the oven, like a couple of potatoes, but I've always been afraid of putting a sweet dessert in at the same time as say, an oniony or garlicky casserole. I'll be watching for your results, CG. :chef::)

No garlic in the enchiladas, Cheryl! :LOL: In fact, it's a pretty mellow version. The link to the recipe is in my original post. Have no fear, I am not roasting beef with garlic and strong herbs while making some fruity muffin. ;)

I knew you weren't, CG. :LOL:

I was just remembering in the waybacks of my mind about all the things my gram cooked all day in her oven...grandpa used to catch fish and oven roast them the same time as grandma roasted potatoes, and there would be an apple pie served right around the same time....everything was delicious...but I may be remembering it wrong. LOL ;)

One pan meal, entree, and desert, that pastrie for which U.P. Michigan is famous for, the pastie.

Simply make a 1-2-3 pastry dough, dice up onion, potato, rutabaga, and brown some coarse ground beef. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic to taste. Roll the dough into 8 inch rounds. Keep a little dough left over to roll into a 4 inch long snake. Place the snake 2/3rds over on the round piece of dough. Spoon filling one-half the larger side, be generous, and pie filling onto the smaller side. Fold the round into a half circle and roll the edges inward. The top dough should press against the snake to seal one side from the other. Bake until golden brown at 350' F. This should take about 40 minutes. You can use multiple cookie sheets to make 6 or more pasties at a time.

Foil dinners also come to mind as they are already sealed in the foil. Make a nice cobbler, or brownies at the same time.

I would think you could roast a small ham, or pork, or beef roast with potato wedges and corn on the cob on one shelf, and a dump cake on another.

The combinations are almost endless, so long as the temps used favor all of the foods being prepared in the oven.

Can you imagine pulling a delicious lasagna, and an apple crisp from the oven at the same time? That would be epic.:yum:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Pastie, empanada, hand pie, calzone - no matter what you call it, they're all good. However, I do have the "menu" planned as to what I would cook together. Since I have been craving chicken enchiladas, that is the star. I'll cover those so I can bake all the flour-based foods without worry. Don't want my fruit muffins tasting like cheesy chicken. :LOL:

And trust me, Chief, you would NOT want any of my desserts if they were baked when I was roasting beef. Unless you WANTED garlic-apricot scones. :ermm:

Ya know, CG, since I got my sweet little Breville toaster oven, I rarely use my "regular" oven anymore. The TO uses very little juice, and doesn't heat up the kitchen. Most things fit in it, though I'll have to use the big oven for a turkey. I love it.

Ya know, CG, since I got my sweet little Breville toaster oven, I rarely use my "regular" oven anymore. The TO uses very little juice, and doesn't heat up the kitchen. Most things fit in it, though I'll have to use the big oven for a turkey. I love it.
Good idea. I have used it for meatloaf, but I wonder if a cake would fit in mine. It's 20 years old and I think they didn't make TOs as big back then.

Back
Top Bottom