"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

i wonder if anyone remembers that back in the summer of '04, the food network shut down it's forum and discusscooking picked up dozens of it's lost members. so really, dc owes a debt of gratitude to the suckiness of food tv.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Not really Pip, I read them and if I can sorta taste them I will give them a go.
I can also read a recipe and sort of taste it. When it comes to baking raw rice, I have a TNT recipe that works every time. I've even modified the recipe to use half raw brown rice and pearl barley. When I want to make a recipe with baked rice I make sure there's enough liquid included in the recipe so that the rice will cook.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i wonder if anyone remembers that back in the summer of '04, the food network shut down it's forum and discusscooking picked up dozens of it's lost members. so really, dc owes a debt of gratitude to the suckiness of food tv.
I remember it well. I was bummed until someone put me onto this site. It's been home ever since.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

This is my favorite one, and the reviews are completely serious!

http://www.food.com/recipe/frozen-pe...es-oamc-327017

I like reading user reviews, but often find them frustrating, you'll see a review like, "I made these cookies, used applesauce instead of butter, whole wheat flour instead of white, cut the sugar in half, and added wheat germ. They weren't very good and nobody in my house would eat them, I'll be looking for a better recipe". Those reviews drive me nuts, if you didn't actually make the recipe, but made your own, please don't review a recipe. That's the biggest reason that I don't submit many recipes online, at least where I can't moderate the responses!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
This is my favorite one, and the reviews are completely serious!

Frozen Peanut Butter And Jelly Sandwiches OAMC Recipe - Food.com - 327017

I like reading user reviews, but often find them frustrating, you'll see a review like, "I made these cookies, used applesauce instead of butter, whole wheat flour instead of white, cut the sugar in half, and added wheat germ. They weren't very good and nobody in my house would eat them, I'll be looking for a better recipe". Those reviews drive me nuts, if you didn't actually make the recipe, but made your own, please don't review a recipe. That's the biggest reason that I don't submit many recipes online, at least where I can't moderate the responses!
Good recipe, bakechef.
"The possibilities are endless."

But playing devil's advocate... didn't we recently have a toasted cheese sandwich thread?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #26
Wine Guy

Quote:
Absolutely! Reviews like that drive me nuts.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #27
Head Chef

I don't know about joke recipes, but this is the only acceptable fruitcake recipe I know.

Ingredients
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
2 cup dried fruit
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar
lemon juice
nuts
1 gallon whiskey
Instructions
Sample the whiskey to check for quality. Take a large bowl. Check the whiskey again to be sure that it is of the highest quality.

Pour 1 level cup and drink. Repeat. Turn on the electric mixer; beat 1 cup butter in a large fluffy bowl.

Add 1 teaspoon sugar and beat again. Make sure the whiskey is still okay. Cry another tup. Turn off the mixer. Break two legs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.

Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it loose with a drewscriver. Sample the whiskey to check for tonsisticity. Next, sift 2 cups of salt. Or something. Who cares. Check the whiskey. Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar or something. Whatever you can find.

Grease the oven. Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Throw the bowl out of the window. Check the whiskey again. Go to bed. Who the hell likes fruitcake anyway?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #28
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
I like reading user reviews, but often find them frustrating, ...
While the recipe was no joke, because I eventually turned it into my signature chocolate cake, I had fun with the reviews. This one person gave it 5 stars and had like 500 people saying her review was helpful and she changed almost everything in the recipe. We used the cake, totally as is (except for making it in huge batches to feed 600), at camp and loved it. I said "If it is worth 5 stars there is no need to change anything and if you need to change anything it isn't worth 5 stars!" I am still getting people liking my review and that was a few years ago.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #29
Senior Cook

I do most of my recipe searches from magazines and online. I generally don't try recipes submited by people. This is the only site I trust everyone with my meals, mostly because I am able to talk to you fine folks and know you have my best food interests at heart.

As for that hot dog recipe at the food network, I am sure it was part of his show where he had all sorts of toppings and such. And they just made the cooking of the hot dog separate. I find they do that often, and the recipes can be taken out of context because they are not with the other parts of the show.

I am a big fan of cookinglight.com. I have not had a bad recipe from them.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm a big fan of LCBO's Food and Drink recipes. I've made many of them over the years, and they've all turned out:

LCBO Food and Drink

Tags
recipe