Do you fry with EVOO?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use olive oil for sautéing, And some frying. I don't fry many foods, for fried potatoes I would use corn oil or bacon grease. I use bacon grease or butter for frying eggs. I do use grape seed or peanut oil for stir frying. I use better olive oil for dipping/drizzling.

once in a while. usually diluted w/ another oil. plain olve imparts too much onto food. i stick w/ neutral stuff when cooking food & adjust later on. usually.

Last edited:
EVOO is the primary cooking oil in our house. I also keep a bottle of "the good stuff" for finishing.

I mix EVOO and butter 1:1 for saute'. The EVOO fortifies the butter and prevents it from burning.

EVOO is the primary cooking oil in our house. I also keep a bottle of "the good stuff" for finishing.

I mix EVOO and butter 1:1 for saute'. The EVOO fortifies the butter and prevents it from burning.

I've noticed that. They mix seems to raise the "burn" temperature for both of them.

I have often read that one shouldn't fry with extra virgin olive oil. People tell me it is a waste of good EVOO, that it should be saved for vinaigrettes, drizzling as a finish, etc.

When I first started using EVOO, many years ago, I saved it for "special" uses. I discovered that even a very small bottle of EVOO would get rancid before it was half empty. I tried refrigerating, but that didn't really help. So, I started using it for most frying as well. Even a 1 litre bottle of EVOO doesn't go off at my house any more.

What about you? Do you fry with EVOO?

I saute, not fry, w/ olive oil, & use a very small amount.

Reminds me of a funny(?) story... My ex BF thought he knew it all when it came to cooking. He used my good evoo to FRY chicken. I had to bite my lip. :rolleyes:

One of my favorite cuisines is Italian, & I use olive oil or EVOO, very sparingly. A little goes a long way. I use different oils, depending on the dish. I find myself moving away from frying & using oils altogether, unless it imparts a certain flavor to the dish. Also, I don't refrigerate oil.

One of my favorite dishes (where olive oil shines), is Spaghetti Aglio e Olio (or orecchiette con broccoli) - Spaghetti w/ minced garlic sauteed in olive oil, with fresh parsley and parmesan or pecorino cheese & red pepper flakes, to taste.

We use "cheap" for frying/sauteing Italian dishes that call for it and good stuff for finishing oil or making that Carrabba's style bread dip.

I will also buy Spanish olive oil for Spanish dishes. I'm no olive oil expert, but I sware I can taste the difference. I wonder about Greek oil, which I can't recall ever tasting.

Back
Top Bottom