"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-23-2013, 02:31 AM   #21
Executive Chef

I use olive oil for sautéing, And some frying. I don't fry many foods, for fried potatoes I would use corn oil or bacon grease. I use bacon grease or butter for frying eggs. I do use grape seed or peanut oil for stir frying. I use better olive oil for dipping/drizzling.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:40 AM   #22
Master Chef

once in a while. usually diluted w/ another oil. plain olve imparts too much onto food. i stick w/ neutral stuff when cooking food & adjust later on. usually.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #23
Admiral of the Texas Navy

EVOO is the primary cooking oil in our house. I also keep a bottle of "the good stuff" for finishing.

I mix EVOO and butter 1:1 for saute'. The EVOO fortifies the butter and prevents it from burning.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
EVOO is the primary cooking oil in our house. I also keep a bottle of "the good stuff" for finishing.

I mix EVOO and butter 1:1 for saute'. The EVOO fortifies the butter and prevents it from burning.

I've noticed that. They mix seems to raise the "burn" temperature for both of them.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have often read that one shouldn't fry with extra virgin olive oil. People tell me it is a waste of good EVOO, that it should be saved for vinaigrettes, drizzling as a finish, etc.

When I first started using EVOO, many years ago, I saved it for "special" uses. I discovered that even a very small bottle of EVOO would get rancid before it was half empty. I tried refrigerating, but that didn't really help. So, I started using it for most frying as well. Even a 1 litre bottle of EVOO doesn't go off at my house any more.

What about you? Do you fry with EVOO?
I saute, not fry, w/ olive oil, & use a very small amount.

Reminds me of a funny(?) story... My ex BF thought he knew it all when it came to cooking. He used my good evoo to FRY chicken. I had to bite my lip.

One of my favorite cuisines is Italian, & I use olive oil or EVOO, very sparingly. A little goes a long way. I use different oils, depending on the dish. I find myself moving away from frying & using oils altogether, unless it imparts a certain flavor to the dish. Also, I don't refrigerate oil.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #26
Head Chef

One of my favorite dishes (where olive oil shines), is Spaghetti Aglio e Olio (or orecchiette con broccoli) - Spaghetti w/ minced garlic sauteed in olive oil, with fresh parsley and parmesan or pecorino cheese & red pepper flakes, to taste.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Yes. I wouldn't use a bucket of it to make a pile for french fries, but for a thin film in the pan, yes.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #28
Executive Chef

We use "cheap" for frying/sauteing Italian dishes that call for it and good stuff for finishing oil or making that Carrabba's style bread dip.

I will also buy Spanish olive oil for Spanish dishes. I'm no olive oil expert, but I sware I can taste the difference. I wonder about Greek oil, which I can't recall ever tasting.

Tags
evoo