"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Do you have a food hero?

Do you have a food hero, and if so, why is this person your food hero? Is it an author who wrote a cookbook that changed your life? Or maybe it's your mom who cultivated in you a passion for good food? Or is it a celebrity chef whose lifestyle you envy? Please share stories about people who have been inspirational in your food journey.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

One of my food heroes is Masuo Yoshino, who calls himself a sushiologist. His passion for sushi, and nigiri sushi in particular, led him on a series of self-funded quests of adventure and discovery, that helped him bring to light the prehistoric origins of sushi in the jungles of the South-East Asian archipelago, and in so doing, contributed to the archaeological research that would eventually revolutionize the anthropological understanding that the Japanese people have of themselves, allow a clear recognition of the importance that the Ainu have for the national Japanese cultural landscape, and help at least some of the Japanese people to see more clearly their heritage, before recorded history began, of where they came from, so that they are able to make more informed choices about where they are going.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I would have to say my food hero is my mother. Learning to cook and bake with a wood burning kitchen stove has taught me how to handle food emergencies. To this day I can stick my hand in an oven and know if it is hot enough to put a cake in for baking. I learned how to bank the fire so that a pot of beef or chicken stew would simmer and not boil. I often tell my kids if we lost all our utilities, I could survive, but they would have a hard time. I could build a fire, use an empty can for a pot and a twig to stir the food. My kids would stand there crying that they were hungry.

My mother taught me not to waste food. Make only enough for the meal. If you wanted to have some left for tomorrow, make sure you chilled it fast enough and store it properly. She taught me to use the right size pan for the food that you were going to be cooking. Covers always helped water boil faster, thus you didn't waste fuel. Cut potatoes and other hard veggies into small cubes. They cook faster and less fuel is used. My mother was all about not wasting. Don't waste fuel, food or your time. While the meal is cooking, set the table, pick up your sewing or read a book. But don't stand there waiting. To my mother, waste in the kitchen was the biggest sin anyone could commit.

I was sorry to see that wood stove go when we got a gas one.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
Senior Cook

My food hero was my great grandma Phillips. She went blind as she got older but she learned to fry chicken by touch. She cultivated in me a love for mashed potatoes and fried chicken.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I had to think about this one.....The only inspiration I got from home was; there has to be a better way to prepare food. My heroines would have to be Irma and Marion Rombauer, the creators of Joy of Cooking. For many years this was the only cookbook I owned and I read it religiously.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My Dad, he instilled in me the joy and wonder of trying new things. We are the only true foodies in a family of 6.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Half Baked

Too many to list them all but Anthony Bourdain,Julia Child,Jaques Pepin are certainly on my top 10 list.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #8
Master Chef

I have no celebrity food heroes. Rather, as with all my heroes, they are people who do their best to make other people's lives better. My food heroes are those people who put forth the time and effort to make their food the best way they know how, for their families, for themselves, and for their friends. They need to put thought, and study into improving their culinary knowledge, and be somewhat creative. If they have to make a good meal of mac and cheese, then the mac and cheese has to be the best that they can make it. They need to be industrious. They need to be passionate about not only the food, but about life, especially with their families welfare, nutritionally as well as physically, mentally, and spiritually. In other words, they make the best food they can, for the best reasons.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I have no celebrity food heroes. Rather, as with all my heroes, they are people who do their best to make other people's lives better. My food heroes are those people who put forth the time and effort to make their food the best way they know how, for their families, for themselves, and for their friends. They need to put thought, and study into improving their culinary knowledge, and be somewhat creative. If they have to make a good meal of mac and cheese, then the mac and cheese has to be the best that they can make it. They need to be industrious. They need to be passionate about not only the food, but about life, especially with their families welfare, nutritionally as well as physically, mentally, and spiritually. In other words, they make the best food they can, for the best reasons.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Amen!
Old 04-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Yes, Jamie Oliver.
He has done wonderful things to improve the diet of school meals for kids. Even harrassing the government to take notice !! Also, he is a great down-to-earth fun cook for us home folk who do not have the resources of restaurant chefs and don't wan't to be restaurant chefs anyway ( otherwise what is the point of 'going out to dinner')

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food